Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Tor Restarts Their Free E-Book Program

Tor has restarted their free e-book program with two free e-books this month and they promise to follow it with an additional e-book each month following. From an email I received and as reported by carandol in the Deals, Freebies and Resources forum, there is a catch to the free e-books -- you must register for their SciFi & Fantasy blog.

The first e-books offered are Dogland by Will Shetterly and The War of the Oaks by Emma Bull.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
While I agree there is a catch, you do not have to participate in the blog. I joined when they first started it. I have never posted, and never read anything. I download their free short stories and the books. All it costs is an occasional junk email. Not more than one a week if I am remembering correctly, and probably not that often.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2, Kobo Clara, Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I for one am happy that they added default Sony support this time around, thoug I haven't yet loaded the books to take a look at how well they format on the reader.

Devin
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
The lrf files are quite large files as they use embedded fonts and its a teeny font too. My reader hated the files and it sent it into a format/reboot cycle when I tried to resize the font. I downloaded the html one and converted it myself and now have a file a third of the size....nice to see they support the Sony directly now though
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
urk!

The Sony lrf's break Calibre viewer too.

Has anyone at Tor heard of testing?

And before anyone jumps in with `you should be grateful` etc. I am grateful - just a bit pointless serving up unreadable version of the books, no?

@babyd (below) aye I have done exactly as you said - not until after starting to download the PDFs and giving up when I realised they were just, well, huge!

Oh and Calibre is the dogs!

Last edited by mattgb; 09-18-2008 at 08:15 AM.
mattgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
LOL. even worse I ended up doing a hard reset and then when I tried to authorise Digital Editions it wouldn't do it as I had too many activations. Apparently a known issue since mid August but Adobe have no fix for it, so now I can't read any of the ePubs I bought ! not buying any more DE books from now on.

IF you download the html tor books they convert great and will not freeze the reader or Calibre Nice we can resort to Calibre when we need it
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
The lrf files are quite large files as they use embedded fonts and its a teeny font too. My reader hated the files and it sent it into a format/reboot cycle when I tried to resize the font. I downloaded the html one and converted it myself and now have a file a third of the size....nice to see they support the Sony directly now though
since they are just starting out, perhaps some constructive feedback could be useful to them. they might not realise their lrfs are not optimal.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
since they are just starting out, perhaps some constructive feedback could be useful to them. they might not realise their lrfs are not optimal.
See above - is that not constructive? I know someone could not resist
(IMHO its ok, in fact very human & healthy, to have a moan now and then - best de-stresser in the world )
mattgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The books didn't break my Reader. They loaded just fine. However, I agree regarding the font. A bit too small and embedded fonts do bloat the file. I think I'll read these on the Medium font.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Angry

For me, Tor continuing their free ebooks is just another pointed reminder that they have thus yet refused to release some of their most popular series (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time) into ebook format. Wizards of the Coast publishing continues much of the same behavior with R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Series. Were these series to become available today I would buy the entire series immediately as they are some of my most treasured reading. It's EXCEEDINGLY rare for me to buy a dead tree edition of a book these days so a publisher's unwillingness to ignore their customer base and hold so much of their inventory back from the electronic media like this is enough for me to pretty much boycott their brand name until they capitulate.

That's just my thing. YMMV
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
If you sign up Tor sends an e-mail when they release a new free e-book. What they don't tell you is that they have freebies on the site they are not announcing - I picked up an advanced reader copy of "Grey" (can't recall the author). Check the stories section - there are normally several short stories to pick from and as I mentioned the occasional novel sneaks in unannounced.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote