Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Page numbers with PW and azw3

I just got a Kindle PaperWhite to try, having had a Kindle Keyboard for several years with no problems using Calibre whatsoever.

I've always transferred .mobi files via Calibre to my Kindle KB, and all the books have page numbers. But with the Kindle PW, the Calibre-transferred azw3 books don't display page numbers. It's only when I transfer the mobi versions of the same book on the that the page numbers are available again.

Is this a quirk of azw3 and Calibre? I'm so used to having access to what page I'm on, that this would be a deal-breaker for the paperwhite.

Last edited by markpearl; 03-28-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know, they work fine, at least they work fine with azw3 on my Touch, but you need to do two things:

1) Have at least one book with page numbers working from amazon
2) Have enabled sending page numbers in the kindle driver in calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As far as I know, they work fine, at least they work fine with azw3 on my Touch, but you need to do two things:

regarding#1: as you know, not all amazon ebooks display page numbers, but transferring them from within Calibre has resulted in 100% success in this area for me with mobi files, whether or not the amazon book natively has page numbers. But not so with azw3 on the paperwhite, thus far.

#2: trying to find calibre driver that enables sending page numbers. But given the fact that it transfers them with my mobi files, wouldn't that indicate that it's already on?

Lastly, this may all be a moot point because I tried reading with the PW last night...always in the wee hours with backlight on...and compared with my kindle Keyboard & kindle keyboard cover with light combo, the paperwhite had an annoying, purplish, unnatural glow -- not conducive to the fluid reading experience with the KKB.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
markpearl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpearl View Post
regarding#1: as you know, not all amazon ebooks display page numbers, but transferring them from within Calibre has resulted in 100% success in this area for me with mobi files, whether or not the amazon book natively has page numbers. But not so with azw3 on the paperwhite, thus far.

#2: trying to find calibre driver that enables sending page numbers. But given the fact that it transfers them with my mobi files, wouldn't that indicate that it's already on?

Lastly, this may all be a moot point because I tried reading with the PW last night...always in the wee hours with backlight on...and compared with my kindle Keyboard & kindle keyboard cover with light combo, the paperwhite had an annoying, purplish, unnatural glow -- not conducive to the fluid reading experience with the KKB.
Followup to my query: This has indeed become a moot point, as I've found the paperwhite uncomfortably unreadable at night (when I do most of my reading) -- that ghostly, spotty underlit fluorescence is distracting and not conducive for my personal reading experience; like staring at a diorama. The fluidity I enjoy with the kindle keyboard/lighted cover isn't there. Not by a longshot!

So back it goes...but a worthwhile experiment anyway.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
vanpelten
vanpelten began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpearl View Post
Followup to my query: This has indeed become a moot point, as I've found the paperwhite uncomfortably unreadable at night (when I do most of my reading) -- that ghostly, spotty underlit fluorescence is distracting and not conducive for my personal reading experience; like staring at a diorama. The fluidity I enjoy with the kindle keyboard/lighted cover isn't there. Not by a longshot!

So back it goes...but a worthwhile experiment anyway.
Ha! And I thought I was the only one who returned the Kindle Paperwhite for the same reason. I looooove my Kindle Keyboard (all 3 of them!!) along with the lighted cover. Your description of the PW's backlighting as a "diorama" is spot-on! Ugly, just plain ugly.
vanpelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Where do I find the option for sending page numbers in the kindle driver?

[EDIT] Never mind, I found it.

Last edited by BrentB; 04-10-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Found answer
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote