Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #16
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Did you ever question to think maybe it's the difference between trying to read on a small phone rather than a machine that is around the same size as your typical paperback?

I also think that a great many people are simply in denial that their eyes maybe changing and it might be time to get some glasses. It's always better to blame a piece of technology rather than sucumb to admitting the fact of an aging body.

Ereaders are coming down in price, but I think it really is dependant on how much in a day you read on the devices. If you can read the same amount of time on both devices without the device dying on you then it really shouldn't matter. Pick whichever one you will find the most useful.
For me, I find the Kindle easier to read on in sunlight. I find it lighter than equivalent sized tablets, I find it larger than 3.5" screens, though not as large as a 7" Samsung Galaxy 7Plus.

All in all I prefer to read on the Kindle. Next would be a regular paper book, new without musty smell, though actually a paper book with slick white pages has glare in the sun or under a bright lamp also. Just about last would be a 3.5" screen of any kind. Well maybe a handheld microfiche would be last.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #17
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I can read in sunlight with e-ink.
I read LOADS during holidays, my T1 battery still OK.
E-ink wins.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #18
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I don't recall ever feeling like an LCD is causing more eyestrain than my eInk devices, as long as the brightness levels are roughly matching the ambient light. Too bright or too dim for the conditions and yes I've felt it.

Ease of reading on the eyes wasn't why I bought an eInk though, it's ability to read at all outside :P Reading an LCD outside IS a huge strain on my eyes, or rather, was the few times I attempted it
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think the study was worthless. It is extremely difficult to note the differences between people that have healthy eyes. The brain and eye can adjust for a LOT of things under many varying conditions. That's how the system is intended to work. However, if you have eye damage, your brain and eye CAN'T make this adjustment. It is those who have physical issues with vision that can tell a researcher whether this thing works better than that thing.

If they want a study that actually tells them something, they should recruit people with similar eye damage to compare the screens.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotjunk View Post
I am curious. Would the battery savings on a eink reader justify buying an eink reader ?

teotjunk
From a useage perspective, perhaps. I use my Galaxy Note as my ereader but it is also my phone and needs to be charged daily. If I am travelling and the battery gets low, I may have to choose between continuing to read or saving power for calls.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The abstract says, "Results suggested that reading on the two display types is very similar in terms of both subjective and objective measures."

The section quoted by SteveEisenberg suggests that there was a subjective difference that they discounted.

I don't know how they could objectively measure my problem. The LCD screen doesn't make my vision blurry. It doesn't make my eyes stiff. I can still read with alacrity.

The LCD screen causes me pain. The longer that I read, the longer the pain lasts afterward.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
My conclusion: People are weird.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
The abstract says, "Results suggested that reading on the two display types is very similar in terms of both subjective and objective measures."

The section quoted by SteveEisenberg suggests that there was a subjective difference that they discounted.
Probably the subjective "reading on this type of screen for more than a few minutes makes my eyes tired and gives me a headache", even though it was exactly what they were supposedly trying to study.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post

I don't know how they could objectively measure my problem. The LCD screen doesn't make my vision blurry. It doesn't make my eyes stiff. I can still read with alacrity.

The LCD screen causes me pain. The longer that I read, the longer the pain lasts afterward.
Some minority of folks got headaches and eyestrain from CRTs running a 60hz refresh, too - others didn't.

It's good to see as a baseline that LCD tablets don't appear to be causing significant eyestrain any more than e-ink for most people (that's really all the study is saying). It's not saying anything about keeping you awake at night, or reading outside, or whatever. Simply that there doesn't appear to be a difference in eyestrain, overall.

Personally I find e-ink a tiny bit less fatiguing, but as an I.T. professional I stare at a screen all day already - perhaps, for example, the amount of hours I spend in front of a screen makes my case a bit different.

Or Maybe the difference in the appearance of the screen (more like a printed page) makes me psychologically calmer (many years of associating reading with calm/peace) and that makes me feel less strained. After all, studies have shown that people can't pick out the difference between Coke and Pepsi in a double blind study, but that they do taste differently to people - but it's more the effect of how our brains have been tuned over the years by advertising/experience/etc to taste them differently, than an actually large difference in taste.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My conclusion: People are weird.
Other people are weird.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I used to read books on the LCD of my Palm Treo. Never had a problem. I can still read on my Nexus, but I like changing it up with my nook. I don't notice much difference in eyestrain though.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The brain and eye can adjust for a LOT of things under many varying conditions. That's how the system is intended to work.
I so agree. I was -700 in both eyes (I what I saw at 20 feet you saw at 700 feet). I went in for Lasik - got PRK. Due to a number of issues, I had 5 surguries. I wanted 20-20 vsion. I got 10-300. Still a lot better than I had, and I don't need reading glasses. My ability to guage distances is awful, but my brain knows when it should switch to the distance eye and when it should switch to the close work eye. I am just amazed.

I thought it was strange that people read faster on paper. I would believe it if it was on nonfiction. I find paging through the tax code on paper a lot easier than online.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
From the abstract: "It is not the technology itself, but rather the image quality that seems crucial for reading."

In other words, it's what I've been saying for years. The important part is not the technology (eink vs. LCD, front-lit vs. backlit), but the resolution as in dots/pixels per inch. Eink has "fuzzy" pixels, and so gets an artificial boost to ppi despite being relatively low, though the new 1024x768 6" screens have finally cross the 200ppi barrier. Anything over 150ppi is comfortable for most people, which is why the iPad pre-retina display was bad for reading but the Nook Color was good.

Back light vs. front light vs. reflected light is a red herring.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I think a preference (or non-preference) for LCD vs e-ink is individual, and people should buy what they like!

Personally, I am nearsighted and usually take off my glasses to read. As a result, I hold the text fairly close to my eyes (around 10 - 12 inches). When looked at Nooks Tablets and Kindle Fires in stores in early 2012, I felt like I could see every pixel in the text. E-ink is much better for me.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #30
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I haven't seen the whole study, just the abstract, so I can't really say more about it. But no matter how many studies with the same conclusion they produce, it won't change even in the least the fact that for me reading from an e-ink device causes far less fatigue than reading from an LCD.

Last edited by slex; 10-07-2012 at 07:50 AM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote