Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
New e-Book store?

While reading my e-mail @ gmail.com, I noticed an ad saying, "Ebooks for PRS 500/505 - www.bltcpress.com - Well-crafted classics in LRF format No digital rights management", so I hopped over to see what they offered. So far, they have 33 titles, all classics (i.e. copyright-free), each priced at 1.99 (USD). They do offer free book, under "Free Title of the Week".
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
While reading my e-mail @ gmail.com, I noticed an ad saying, "Ebooks for PRS 500/505 - www.bltcpress.com - Well-crafted classics in LRF format No digital rights management", so I hopped over to see what they offered. So far, they have 33 titles, all classics (i.e. copyright-free), each priced at 1.99 (USD). They do offer free book, under "Free Title of the Week".
I'm curious... if they are free of copyright, why would people buy from them... once you buy one you could put it up on mobileread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Elsi. Thanks for the tip.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm curious... if they are free of copyright, why would people buy from them... once you buy one you could put it up on mobileread.
BOb, what I was trying to say is that they were charging $1.99 for copyright-free books you can get from here, Feedbooks, Manybooks, Gutenberg, etc. I can't understand how they expect to sell very many books when the same titles are available for free elsewhere. Unless, of course, they're adding something like commentary, photos, new artwork, or fantastic formatting better than the volunteers here at MobileRead.

And, even though the book itself is no longer under copyright, I would never download a book from one site (paid-for or free) and upload elsewhere. The text/story might not be under copyright, but the version in LRF, PRC, or PDF might be considered to be protected in some locations. I would not want to take any risk.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are many versions of public domain works for sale as ebooks, for example 50 versions of Pride and Prejudice for the Kindle. The thread Penguin USA to release back-list titles as ebooks was largely on this subject. The new Penguin Enhanced E-Book Classics, may be one case where there is enough value added to make the purchase worthwhile.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are many versions of public domain works for sale as ebooks, for example 50 versions of Pride and Prejudice for the Kindle. The thread Penguin USA to release back-list titles as ebooks was largely on this subject. The new Penguin Enhanced E-Book Classics, may be one case where there is enough value added to make the purchase worthwhile.
My point, exactly. Although there are 50 versions of Pride and Prejudice for sale for the Kindle, do you really think that people are purchasing them? With Penguin's scholarly commentary -- whether electronic or in paper -- the book may well be worth buying. And in this case, I at least feel that I'm paying for the additional info, not for P&P itself.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
My point, exactly. Although there are 50 versions of Pride and Prejudice for sale for the Kindle, do you really think that people are purchasing them?
I think that some people are. Lots of folks that buy Kindles (or read ebooks on their phones/PDAs) are unaware of places like this, Feedbooks, and so on. They buy the classics just as they do the other books available at their chosen "bookstore."
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I think that some people are. Lots of folks that buy Kindles (or read ebooks on their phones/PDAs) are unaware of places like this, Feedbooks, and so on. They buy the classics just as they do the other books available at their chosen "bookstore."
More like, they don't understand the impact of "public domain". Even with the availability of those books in PD, to read those books, they still needed to buy a hardcopy. Those people don't understand that the text is readily available and anyone can produce an eBook from that text, including free versions.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My point, exactly. Although there are 50 versions of Pride and Prejudice for sale for the Kindle, do you really think that people are purchasing them?
Yes, I'm certain they are.

It takes many hours of work to create a really nice-looking eBook from, say, PG sources, and even when you've done that you've no idea how good or otherwise the text is as far as errors go. The early PG books (the ones that were typed in by hand) can be pretty dire, with the typist skipping sentences or even entire paragraphs. So even after you've created your eBook, if you're consciencious about it (as I was for the Dickens books I've uploaded here, for example) you have to carefully proof-read it against a good printed edition.

For many people, the time and effort involved in doing all that is well worth paying a few $ for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For many people, the time and effort involved in doing all that is well worth paying a few $ for.
Definitely. For versions with good formatting, like Harry's Austen or Dickens, I'd gladly pay a few bucks. The problem with some of the ebook offerings for sale is they basically took the PG text and did minimal work on it and considered it done.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote