Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
Questions about conversions

Hi all,
I'm not really sure if this is a question that has more to do with Calibre or my actual ereader... I've got a Sony PRS-350 (Pocket Touch), and am using Calibre on a mac to handle/organise my collection.

I've got PDF versions of my uni course notes and would like to get them onto my reader so that (if I stay on top of things) I can read my lecture notes wherever I am. The notes are PDF's with the occasional image/figure.

What's the best format to put these onto the reader? I tried converting to epub and transferring, and there are a few issues (some of the "bullets" have converted to 'gooblygook', the photos are still there, but the diagrams are not). I tried transferring as a straight PDF, but issues there too (the bullets have a linespace after them, the page number/footer etc (at the bottom of each PDF page) is chucked up halfway through every second page or so. The diagrams all seem to have come across ok).

PDF seems a better format, but is there a way to manually edit the file? (each set of notes is only 20 pages or so, so not a biggy if possible).
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
It may be worth looking at one of the free PDF cropping utilities.

My current favourite is Briss which is still being actively developed. It will not only allow you to crop whitespace margins and headers/footers but will also allow you to cut each page into pieces e.g. Top/bottom for a typical PDF novel or Left/Right for a 2-column PDF.

The output is still PDF so you should retain formating and TOC.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsi18 View Post
I've got a Sony PRS-350 (Pocket Touch), and am using Calibre on a mac to handle/organise my collection.

I've got PDF versions of my uni course notes and would like to get them onto my reader so that (if I stay on top of things) I can read my lecture notes wherever I am. The notes are PDF's with the occasional image/figure.
~...~
PDF seems a better format,
Have you tried reading the PDF files on your 350? Maybe in landscape mode? If they are readable as PDF files it might be best to leave them in that format. Here is the sticky on converting PDFs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
I keep meaning to get back to this, but keep forgetting (started that new course, am drained!)

Have put the notes on directly in PDF and that seems to be a lot better, will continue to play to see how best to do it. Am really loving having my notes on me all the time, am managing to keep up with lectures so far...
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote