Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
silverback88
silverback88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook reader for college student (reading textbooks) (making notes in them)

Hi,

I'm looking for an ebook reader that is good for reading textbooks, and making notes in them (touchscreen + stylus preferably).
I don't want to spend more than ~$300.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
silverback88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
The thing about textbooks you need to think about when looking for an e-reader is what kind of books you'll be looking at.

For instance, I'm an English major and most of my books are actually public domain texts. So unless a professor wants us to use a specific version of the text, any is fine to use. Because most of the works are stories, the formatting couldn't be more simple.

But if you're into science or math, textbooks with diagrams or books with specific formatting, then you might benefit from an ereader with a larger screen. The Kindle DX for example, has a 9.7 inch screen that can display a lot more text than the 6' and smaller e-readers, and if some of your textbooks can be had in PDF format, all the better to go for an ereader with a large screen.

What will you be studying? This will help in determining which e-reader might be best for you.

Last edited by Anarel; 08-18-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback88 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for an ebook reader that is good for reading textbooks, and making notes in them (touchscreen + stylus preferably).
I don't want to spend more than ~$300.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Look into the SONY PRS900. It does not have the best screen (in terms of glare and contrast) but if you are looking at a device to use for annotations, then it's almost a forced choice, nowadays.

I guess some of the iRex devices might be an option - but the company is bankrupt and support is weak.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
If you can't spend more than $300, the Sony PRS-900 would probably be the best choice for you. I have read some great things about the product and at one point was looking into getting it myself, but I already had a reader at the time and couldn't justify getting another one so soon after buying the first one. Pocketbook should be coming out with a large screen reader soon as well (the 901, I believe), if you are willing to hold out.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
silverback88
silverback88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks guys.

I'm starting to think that note taking isn't that important, so I would go for a non touch screen ereader too. I'm really digging the Kindle, but according to Amazon, it will only be shipped before or on the 10th of Sept., and I can't afford to wait that long.

In general, how good are ereaders for text books? I'm thinking of things such as jumping between pages (back and forth) and zooming in and out (quickly)? Basically, I can either buy an ereader and read most of my textbooks on that, or actually get the physical books. I'd prefer the ereader, as it's cheaper and lighter, but if it really makes reading textbooks tough, I won't go with that.

Also, it would be nice to get magazine subscriptions on my reader.
silverback88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
The Entourage or iPad but especially the Entourage is the best one suited for your needs.

http://www.entourageedge.com/entourage-edge.html

it is $499 retail which puts in iPad territory and I know you don't want to pay more than $300 but this thing is supposed to be tailored made to suite the needs of students. more so than any other e-reading device. It would be worth the extra money

Certainly a step up and better choice than the Kindle DX.

Last edited by boswd; 08-18-2010 at 12:38 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Wow, boswd, thanks for that post. The Entourage looks to me like it is to ordinary e-readers what the Mac is to computers. It's where they should have been all along. I've often wondered why no-one has made an e-reader with facing screens like a real book, and that's what Entourage has done. And then they can, if necessary, use the two screens for different things.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Clabbergirl
Clabbergirl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
OMG thank you for the link. I have not heard of that device and just got finished drooling over the website and the YouTube vids. I must have one! (Of course I don't have $500 laying around though.)

I agree with James up above - it does seem to be what eReaders should've always been.
Clabbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
I have a new Kindle DX and I'm frustrated that it cannot cut-and-paste so I can use relevant notes. I can save highlighted areas but not print them or email them. And to make notes is not easy if at all. Kindle isn't great for anyone who likes those features. Oh yes, and there's just a tiny little nub for a mouse, and no touch screen. I'm going to look at the other ones y'all mentioned above. Tx
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
parafluie
Enthusiast

@silverback If you're taking any Lit courses, you do want to be able to take notes! Also, you want to be able to download your textbooks as well as be able to download library loans, or you'll spend a fortune in purchases via amazon. I just started looking, but the iPad seems more supported in libraries.

Good luck
Old 08-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
You guys are welcome, Yeah the Entourage and the iPad are really the only real e-readers that will work best for students.

i know the entourage is pricey but look around the net on ebay, amazon, etc you might find a bargain for one.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parafluie View Post
I have a new Kindle DX and I'm frustrated that it cannot cut-and-paste so I can use relevant notes. I can save highlighted areas but not print them or email them. And to make notes is not easy if at all. Kindle isn't great for anyone who likes those features. Oh yes, and there's just a tiny little nub for a mouse, and no touch screen. I'm going to look at the other ones y'all mentioned above. Tx

You're mistaken about the Kindle DX. In your documents folder, there is a document called MY CLIPPINGS. All your notes and highlights for all the books you made notes in are stored there. You can hook up your Kindle to your computer via the usb and access the my clippings text document there.

You can also access all your notes nd highlights online via this page.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
parafluie
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
You're mistaken about the Kindle DX. In your documents folder, there is a document called MY CLIPPINGS. All your notes and highlights for all the books you made notes in are stored there. You can hook up your Kindle to your computer via the usb and access the my clippings text document there.

You can also access all your notes nd highlights online via this page.
That's great to know Anarel. Thanks! Is it a .txt file? I'll check it outl
Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
That's great to know Anarel. Thanks! Is it a .txt file? I'll check it outl
Yes, it's a Text file.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
I just started looking, but the iPad seems more supported in libraries.
Good luck
Nope, the iPad does not support the DRM used on library books (Adept epub & pdf). You'll have to stript away the DRM first.

That Entourage is very very tempting, and it's half the price of the Toshiba dual-screen Libretto W100 which went for $1,100, and quickly sold out on Amazon.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote