Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
B&N App on iPaD, non-B&N books?

Hey everybody, I've already posted once before about the LendMe sharing subforum idea, but didn't give myself a proper introduction.

I'm an avid reader and a technophile. ('nuff said, right? ) And if my sn doesn't give it away, I'm a Notre Dame student from Texas. Nice to meet all of y'all.

Anyway, my dad has an iPad and I was wondering if there are any ways the B&N reader on it can access non-DRMed books I've obtained elsewhere. I haven't downloaded the B&N desktop reader on my laptop, and I don't know what it looks like on the iPad either, so I'm kind of just asking blind here.

(And before anyone mentions it, I've had problems setting up the whole Calibre-Stanza thing through our firewalls and network.)

Again, nice meeting y'all and thanks in advance!
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can load DRM-free ePub books onto the iPad with iTunes, and then read them in the iBooks app. I am not aware of any way of adding non-purchased content to the B&N app, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've moved this thread to the Apple forum, since it's much more about the iPad than about the Nook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
The B&N reader app doesn't allow for side-loading of DRM-free books not purchased at B&N.com, as far as I can tell. As Harry said, you can load DRM-free books via iTunes & read them in the iBooks app. You can do this via the Stanza app as well. I really like the interface of iBooks, but I really really really like the customization & options available via Stanza, which has become my reader app of choice on my iPad. The app itself is not as visually pleasing as iBooks, but it has too many "extras" to ignore and it's a free download in the App Store.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I find converting to EPUB from anything else via Calibre is the easiest for me but if you can't convert, what format are your ebooks in? Most of mine are PDF and a few LIT. Just put you books on your computer desktop and direct them to whatever app works. There are a lot of ebook reading apps you are bound to find one that works for you.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If they are non DRM I would not even bother with the B&N reader. Like others have said iBooks or Stanza are easy to use, and Stanza has a ton more ways to customize your reading experience....

The B&N reader is okay for reading B&N books, but it is designed to read ONLY B&N books....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote