Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Riiyachan
Riiyachan began at the beginning.

Device: Purple EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Question using wildcards for conversion ?

newbie question here,

im trying to convert alot of ebooks using command line with wildcards, but it giving me error messages, so i have to do it one by one.

i used this command for to convert a bulk of .lit files

ebook-convert *.lit *.epub

am i doing something wrong? is it just simply impossible & i have to do it via the GUI? to be honest i prefer to use the command line as the GUI is running pretty slow in my laptop.
Riiyachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ebook-convert doesn't support wildcards, just write a simple batch file/shell script to wrap calls to ebook-convert
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Riiyachan

Talking

why didnt i think of that? thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riiyachan View Post
why didnt i think of that? thanks
I don't recall if it applies to ebook-convert, but several of Calibre's command line utilities don't play well with the Windows command processor when invoked in a batch file. If you're on Windows and have problems with the batch file stopping after one line, come back here for more advice. I usually wrap a "for" loop around the Calibre utility to operate on a single batch line, or use "start" in front of the lines in the batch file, but there are some other workarounds if you have trouble.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Riiyachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I don't recall if it applies to ebook-convert, but several of Calibre's command line utilities don't play well with the Windows command processor when invoked in a batch file. If you're on Windows and have problems with the batch file stopping after one line, come back here for more advice. I usually wrap a "for" loop around the Calibre utility to operate on a single batch line, or use "start" in front of the lines in the batch file, but there are some other workarounds if you have trouble.

ooh thanks Starson17 for the offer, I used this command line

Quote:
for %%I in (*.lit) do "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"
and it works just fine for converting .lit to epub in windows, but i got another question , how can i convert .doc to html? whats the equivalent of convert in microsoft word? i was thinking of converting my .doc files to epub. ...as calibre dont do .doc. i thought i should do .doc->html->epub .
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
ooh thanks Starson17 for the offer, I used this command line
That's pretty close to how I do it. The for loop works great.

Quote:
but i got another question , how can i convert .doc to html? whats the equivalent of convert in microsoft word? i was thinking of converting my .doc files to epub. ...as calibre dont do .doc. i thought i should do .doc->html->epub .
I've heard of .doc converters, but haven't used them. Some searches here might help, as I vaguely recall a discussion of .doc conversion here.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
and it works just fine for converting .lit to epub in windows, but i got another question , how can i convert .doc to html? whats the equivalent of convert in microsoft word? i was thinking of converting my .doc files to epub. ...as calibre dont do .doc. i thought i should do .doc->html->epub .
To convert .doc to html to epub check out this thread, specifically posts 23, 47, 49 and 56.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
Riiyachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
To convert .doc to html to epub check out this thread, specifically posts 23, 47, 49 and 56.
oh what a great thread!!! thanks for pointing me to the right direction, will check those tricks out .

Tags
wildcards