Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #61
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
When and where would one to go and buy Boox?

Last edited by Xerxes; 10-01-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #62
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sorry I haven't responded. Between work and school I've been very busy. I'm ready to write the review tonight, but I won't have any time to start writing it until next Friday at the earliest.

Very briefly, I like it.The software is well developed. The menu design is intuitive. It supports a lot of formats, and does it quite well.

But battery life is disappointing, and with a retail of $400 it's a little pricey for the features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Is there a margin removal (crop) function for PDF files?
Yes and no. There isn't an explicit margin removal, but zoom is persistent after page turns. If you set the zoom so the margins are cropped, it will stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
When and where would one to go and by Boox?
I don't know yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #63
Tsabrack
Tsabrack began at the beginning.

Device: Boox
Hi Nate,

Thanks for this review about the boox. I'm a long time lurker but the boox made me jump in the light so to speak I'm very interested by that device as my first ereader, and since i'm close to China I wouldn't have to reach very far to get it.

That being said, I have a few questions though. I saw that you mentioned the battery life is not that great (Actually pretty short according to chinese forums) How long does it last for you ? Is it the sleep mode that doesn't work that well or something literally draining the battery ? That sounds a bit strange to me, I always though (naively maybe :P) that eink reader could last weeks ?

My second question concern PDF, more specifically A4 PDF. I have a ton of technical PDF (computer programming stuff mostly), and i would love to read them on a reader. Is it readable ? how good is it in portrait mode ?

Thanks in advance.

Tsa.
Tsabrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #64
piglab
piglab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600, PRS505, Kindle2, PRS900, Boox60, iPhone
Hi Nate--

Thanks for your review. I have a few more questions (in addition to Tsa's). Is there glare of light reflection? What is the contrast between the letters and the background (I had to return Sony600 touch screen because of these problems). How useful is touch screen? Is it fast in response to touch?

Thanks,

Eugene
piglab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #65
bjrnfrdnnd
Connoisseur
bjrnfrdnnd began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360˚
review?

Hi Nate,
Did you find the time to write a full review?
Where would this be posted, right here in this thread, or did you already post it somewhere else and I just did not find it?
bjrnfrdnnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #66
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Boox Review

Hi Nate,

hope all is well! I'd be very intereted in a full boox review as well! Please share with us how this promising stylus-enabled device performs under heavy usage

thnx!
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #67
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Hi guys!

Last week I purchased a Onyx Boox 60 from a Spanish importer and I've done a depth review of the device. It's in Spanish but you can use an online translator to read in English.

Here: http://kindleman.blogspot.com/2009/1...e-se-mira.html

By the way my only pending question is what is the dictionary format (no mobipocket).

Technicalities not written in my review: Upgrade file is encrypted with Aescrypt 3.04, I've tested some evident passwords like "Onyx" and so unsuccessful.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #68
jonas
jonas began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Onyx seems use star dict format. They declared that it's plugin based dictionary architecture. So possible to extend to support the other dictionary.
jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #69
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow!

I will test this this evening!

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/

Thank you, Jonas.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #70
menelic
Enthusiast

Hi rfog,

thanks for your review! Could you share with us some details about the annotation feature? How are hand written notes saved in a pdf and epub, respectively? Can hey be exported from the device? Does it have handwriting recognition?
Finally a broader question: Does the Onyx run Linux? Does it have an SDK? I'm asking this to be able to better compare it with the upcoming pocketbook 302 which i could test at IFA. While the Onyx seems to have a better screen (no touch-glare, which pocketbook claims it will solve before release) the openness of the pocketbook 302 as well as its USB-host jack (think keyboard etc) make this a close race. For me the note-taking feature is key, so that would be a decisive factor.
The shop from which you bought the Onyx also looks interesting - could you let us know the termy of your Onyx' warranty? The final question is about apoint I didnt get in the google translation of your review: What is the body made of - is it plastic or aluminium? Is it white or silverish? The later is not trivial for me cos it influences the perceived contrast....

thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #71
jonas
jonas began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
SDK link
http://www.onyxcommunity.com/developers

Seems possible to develop your applications.
jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #72
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelic View Post
Hi rfog,

thanks for your review! Could you share with us some details about the annotation feature? How are hand written notes saved in a pdf and epub, respectively? Can hey be exported from the device? Does it have handwriting recognition?
Finally a broader question: Does the Onyx run Linux? Does it have an SDK? I'm asking this to be able to better compare it with the upcoming pocketbook 302 which i could test at IFA. While the Onyx seems to have a better screen (no touch-glare, which pocketbook claims it will solve before release) the openness of the pocketbook 302 as well as its USB-host jack (think keyboard etc) make this a close race. For me the note-taking feature is key, so that would be a decisive factor.
The shop from which you bought the Onyx also looks interesting - could you let us know the termy of your Onyx' warranty? The final question is about apoint I didnt get in the google translation of your review: What is the body made of - is it plastic or aluminium? Is it white or silverish? The later is not trivial for me cos it influences the perceived contrast....

thanks in advance!
Well, Onyx runs Linux and QTOPIA (QT for Embedded) as base Framework, things I've discovered thanks to Jonas' link. However, the result program must be sent to Onyx to be built and returned (I do not know if the Onyx turn back an upgrade to the developer or the integrate into their next firmware update).

Onyx does not have a "plain notebook" to take notes. Current only way to annotate is over PDF.

The back cover is silvered and it is aluminium. Other parts are white plastic (I know because I've dismounted it). White is not pure white, it's a little darkened, but not much.

Annotation simply works... On each folder, Onyx creates a a .onyx folder and into it it puts a .thumbs.db file that I suppose contains bookmarks, marks and so. An a file whit the same name of the PDF with sketch extension. Both seems to be SQLite file. You can find attached one created writting some text in two first pages of "Nahin - An imaginary Tale.pdf". I do not attach PDF due Copyright stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Nahin - An imaginary Tale.pdf.sketch.zip (2.1 KB, 312 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #73
rfog
Guru

I'm unsuccessfuly trying to install star dict dictonaries. I've put in tar.bz2 format (as downloaded) and uncompressed... Any idea?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #74
menelic
Enthusiast

pdf annotations?

thanks for the quick and detailed reply! unfortunately I can't help you on the dict issue - maybe nate the great can, since he also has an onyx. I have one additional question regarding the annotation feature: Can they be exported in a way that they can be used ouside the device, eg as images or even true notes in the pdf? This would be really important info - and I guess not just for me. I'm attaching you a test pdf - if you have the time, it would be really great if you could annotate it and attach both and/or tell us if you know how the annotations can be used outside the device

thanks a lot!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test_text.pdf (27.8 KB, 369 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #75
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelic View Post
thanks for the quick and detailed reply! unfortunately I can't help you on the dict issue - maybe nate the great can, since he also has an onyx. I have one additional question regarding the annotation feature: Can they be exported in a way that they can be used ouside the device, eg as images or even true notes in the pdf? This would be really important info - and I guess not just for me. I'm attaching you a test pdf - if you have the time, it would be really great if you could annotate it and attach both and/or tell us if you know how the annotations can be used outside the device

thanks a lot!
I do not know the format of .sketch file, I ony can attach the result file. It seems a SQL Lite database file. Perhaps it contains registers with the vectorial info... :-( AFAIK threre is no program in Onyx website to integrate it...

Perhaps other guys here can analyze it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip test_text.pdf.sketch.zip (2.4 KB, 460 views)

Tags
boox, onyx