Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #16
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Like the OP, I'm guilty of buying many book on writing, not all of which I have got round to reading. That said, the best book on writing I have read is Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass.

This is what I said when I wrote a review in 2012:

Quote:
Simply the best book I have ever read on writing. It's not a typical writing craft "how to", it's more about ideas. How you can beef up your existing or work-in-progress novel to make it more powerful, more engaging, more significant, how to "break out". It took me much longer to read than might be expected, and this was simply because almost every page sparked an idea, and I would have to stop to make a note of it before continuing.

Cannot recommend it highly enough to the aspiring, or even to the successful, writer.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm not an author but the class that Brandon Sanderson teaches at BYU was interesting for me to watch.
I was able to make my own DVD's of those classes. You can never have enough instruction on how to write.

Last edited by crich70; 08-07-2018 at 07:40 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Not a book but you may find this free course of interest:Plot on One Page. She also has a printable about the Plot Embryo, which isn't free. It costs around $24.00 for a copy. You can make your own Plot Embryo sheets of course as she goes over the material in the course. It's 7 short videos (not available on her Youtube page), one video per day.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 AM   #19
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
The Mental Game Of Writing, James Scott Bell. Clear, practical, excellent.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
The Mental Game Of Writing, James Scott Bell. Clear, practical, excellent.
Bell actually quotes something I wrote, in one of his books, (whoo-whoo!) so I'm obviously biased in his favor. ;-)

I am surprised that not one of you, unless I've missed it, has mentioned Techniques of the Selling Writer, by Dwight Swain, which is considered a classic standard in the "how to" category of learning how to write a book that will sell. Swain's work formed the basis of Ingermanson's various and sundry how-to books, and his (rather humorous) Goldilocks how-to (using the Snowflake method, as well, of course) books. Swain's action-reaction methodology is pretty much standard practice today, AFAIK.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Bell actually quotes something I wrote, in one of his books, (whoo-whoo!) so I'm obviously biased in his favor. ;-) [...]
Well now, that depends, doesn't it. Were you quoted as an example of "how to" or "how not to"?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. I probably should try harder.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Well now, that depends, doesn't it. Were you quoted as an example of "how to" or "how not to"?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. I probably should try harder.)
ahem. Really, you think I'd mention it if I were a Dire Warning? Sheesh!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote