Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
More fun with regex / wildcards

I'm trying to automate a find and replace routine to change chapter numbers from paragraphs to headings. in other words, currently, they look like this : <p>1</p> and i want them to look like this : <h3>1</h3>

i first tried to do this with wildcards and i have no troubles finding the numbers, but unfortunately if i put <h3>?</h3> in the "replace" box, it replaces the number with "?". not helpful.

so now i'm trying regex search. i looked on the regex page here to find the code : http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qregexp.html#introduction

i should say, i know nothing about regex, but i'm trying to learn a bit.

this expression <p>[0-9]{1,3}</p> finds what i want, but when i replace, i have the same problem as with the wildcards...

can someone tell me, what is the regex (or wildcard !) code for "don't touch the stuff in the middle, change only the tags" ??? there must be a way to do this !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, also, if anyone has a good (simple) tutorial for regex, i am interested !
Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In most regex implementations, the "matches" for expressions are represented in the "replace" string by "\1", "\2", etc, so to replace:

<p>nnn<p>

by

<h3>nnn</h3>

you'd use a search string of:

<p>[0-9]*</p>

and a replace string of:

<h3>\1</h3>

where the "\1" will contain whatever was matched by the "[0-9]*".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In most regex implementations, the "matches" for expressions are represented in the "replace" string by "\1", "\2", etc, so to replace:

<p>nnn<p>

by

<h3>nnn</h3>

<p>[0-9]*</p>

and a replace string of:

<h3>\1</h3>

no joy. i tried putting "<h3>\1</h3>" in the replace box and it put \1 in place of my chapter number.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try using a search string of:

<p>([0-9]*)</p>

and a replace string of:

<h3>\1</h3>

ie, with parentheses around the "search string" for the numbers.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:

<p>nnn<p>

by

<h3>nnn</h3>

<p>[0-9]*</p>

and a replace string of:

<h3>\1</h3>

Harry, I don't know what regex flavor you are using, but all the engines that I know of require parentheses for capture groups.

So like this:

Code:
<p>([0-9]*)</p>
And then:

Code:
<h3>\1</h3>
For what Zelda wants, I'd use this:

Code:
<p>(\d+)</p>
With this:

Code:
<h3>\1</h3>
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Harry, I don't know what regex flavor you are using, but all the engines that I know of require parentheses for capture groups.
I know. See my previous post!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A good regex info site is http://www.regular-expressions.info/, and a great regex test site is Regexr. But do note that Regexr use the Perl notation for backreferences ("$#", e.g "$1", "$2"...) while Sigil uses the sed notation ("\#", e.g. "\1", "\2" ).
Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
I know. See my previous post!
That post was not there when I pressed the "Reply" button.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, I realised after I'd written it that I'd missed out the parentheses. A "senior moment" on my part.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:

So like this:

Code:
<p>([0-9]*)</p>
And then:

Code:
<h3>\1</h3>
For what Zelda wants, I'd use this:

Code:
<p>(\d+)</p>
With this:

Code:
<h3>\1</h3>
woohoo !! thanks valloric ! that worked perfectly. now when i'm done with all my other corrections i can copy all my html into previous sigil and add in my chapter break divs with a simple find and replace on <h3>. joy.

Quote:
A good regex info site is http://www.regular-expressions.info/, and a great regex test site is Regexr. But do note that Regexr use the Perl notation for backreferences ("$#", e.g "$1", "$2"...) while Sigil uses the sed notation ("\#", e.g. "\1", "\2" ).
and thank you for that, too. i'm sure i'll have plenty of other expressions to find.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm sure i'll have plenty of other expressions to find.
If you're running Windows, the Regex Coach (donationware) can be a useful utility to have around.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
If you're running Windows, the Regex Coach (donationware) can be a useful utility to have around.
thank you ! i am indeed running windows, and a coach sounds like just what i need. i'll take a look.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Be sure to keep the 'minimal matching' box checked whenever you use regexes (unless you're sure you don't want it). Sigil's support for non-greedy matching is very admirable and makes all the difference.

If you're experimenting with more complex regexes it's always a good idea to address the problem in stages, and save the book under a new name after each replace operation so you can backtrack if something goes wrong.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

thanks charleski, that is very sound advice, especially as i have already gotten myself into trouble doing a "replace all" with the wrong replacement... (and that was *before* i started to tackle regex searches).