Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
coolwes123
coolwes123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Help! My KNT4 has a password on it and I can't acess it!

I have a bunch of important documents on my kindle including my notepad app because I am writing a story and if I were to reset my kindle I would lose all my works! D: I anyone knows a way that might help PLEASE DO!!!
coolwes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
thrawed
thrawed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT B
What would be the point of password protection if any random person could bypass it? You could try contacting amazon, but they'll probably have the same answer: you should have backed it up.
thrawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I do not have a clue, but can you use the usb cable? Or does the kindle ask for a password when it is connected to a pc?

If not maybe copy everything you can over to your pc and then do a hard reset?

Just guessing.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwes123 View Post
I have a bunch of important documents on my kindle including my notepad app because I am writing a story and if I were to reset my kindle I would lose all my works! D: I anyone knows a way that might help PLEASE DO!!!
If all else fails:
MfgTool. Boot diags. Export USB. Copy off your stuff.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
I do not have a clue, but can you use the usb cable? Or does the kindle ask for a password when it is connected to a pc?

If not maybe copy everything you can over to your pc and then do a hard reset?

Just guessing.
Yes, you need to put in the password before it will connect to the PC.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

USB export from diags probably doesn't need that password. Try it.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwes123 View Post
From the Kindle Support page:

Quote:
If you cannot remember the password for your Kindle, you can reset your password to regain access. Resetting your password will delete all content on your Kindle and you'll need to register your Kindle again before downloading items from Your Kindle Library on Amazon.com.

To reset your Kindle if you don't have the password:

Press and hold the power button to turn on the device or exit sleep mode.
Enter "resetmykindle" in the password field. Press the Keyboard button to return to the password menu and select submit using the 5-way controller.
Wait several minutes while your Kindle restarts.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
geekmaster

The OP said he wants to keep his content. Use diags USB export. If that doesn't work I know ways that will absolutely work.

Do not do a factory reset, or his content will be erased.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-28-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Would the notepad app notes be backed up on the Amazon servers? I don't have that app, so I'm not familiar.

EDIT: Well, it turns out I do own this app. I purchased it early in 2011 and forgot I had it. I found the help pages for the app here and here. The app has a backup and restore option but in this case if the backup files aren't also copied to a computer, they will be lost with a reset.

I tried saving a test note to see if it would show up with my personal documents and so far I don't see anything. So geekmaster, it looks like your plan might be the only way to help.

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-28-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Additional information
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If these documents are "important", why don't you have a backup of them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Writing a story on the K4? It's keyboard is not optimal for writing more then a few words. Who put the password on there maybe they might know it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
... So geekmaster, it looks like your plan might be the only way to help.
I prefer to trust people, and go by the assumption that physical possession authorizes access.

The K4 can boot to diags, by using MfgTool from the Dev Corner "select boot" thread. From there, you can either export (share) the USB drive using that item in the main menu, or you can start an SSH shell from menu N-U-Z-X.

There is more information in the Dev Corner. Look in the K4 index wiki (and other indexes). Start with the Master Index sticky thread in the Dev Corner. Ask there. More people in the Dev Corner can help you with questions about diags and SSH and USBnetworking...

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-28-2012 at 02:08 AM.