Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
dftr
dftr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Help w/ Conversion Process

As a way of introduction, I recently got a Kindle DX and am hoping ot justify its purchase by keeping up w/ a good deal of scientific journals. Anyway, that's my excuse.

The articles are .pdf.
The DX despite "supporting" .pdf does not allow for magnification so as to be able to read the articles in a meaningful way even w/ Landscape view.

I'm using Mobipocket editor 4.0 to convert these files I am having difficulty manually adding the .pngs/images to replace the table.

Here's what I do:

1) Import the PDF
2) Edit the resultant html w/ dreamweaver cs3.

I look for garbled up tables and flowsheets;
I remove these text items.

3) Then I open the original .pdf and capture the tables and flow diagrams as .pngs.
4) Back in dreamweaver, I insert a link to these files. This is relative to the document (they are kept in the same folder that as the html)

5) I then go to "Build" in Mobipocket and here's where it falls apart,
I get errors "Could not find C:\...\image.png"

I've even tried adding all of the images in the "Files" tab of Mobicreate w/out luck. It still can't find the bloody files.

Any advice on where I'm going wrong here?

BTW, I've tried looking and using a variety of other software for the conversion proccess including stanza, pdfread, bookmaker, and they're all inferior to mobipocket. Bookmaker couldn't even open the html file!

Anyway, I've got 23 days left to decide if the DX stays or goes back. As an aside I do love it for my leisurely reading, just can't justify the $$$ if I can't get a professional benefit.
dftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, dftr.

I'm sure you'll be getting lots of input soon.

In the meantime, let us know where you are from, and what you like to read.

There are thousands of books here formatted by our own members for you to download.

Good luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
dftr
dftr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, dftr.
I'm sure you'll be getting lots of input soon.
In the meantime, let us know where you are from, and what you like to read.
There are thousands of books here formatted by our own members for you to download.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I've just started w/ the electronic reader so my library is sparse. I was a voracious reader all through college, but since starting my career in the medical field, have been primarily reading technical articles and books.

Now, I've got more free time, so I look forward to getting back into this. The Kindle is like an iPOD for books and reading.

The types of books I read range from sword & sorcery fantasy like Robert E. Howard's Conan series and George RR Martin's Song of Fire & Ice. The other books I like are perhaps in the category of "historical fiction" such as Musashi, The English Patient, A Hundred Years in Solitude, and Baudolino. Currently, I'm going through Glen Cook's "The Black Company" which is out of print, but amazingly available on Amazon in Kindle books!

Two men, I've always found fascinating were Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill. I'd like to read Chruchill's six books on WW2 and am looking for a good biography of Lincoln (haven't read any thing written about him in over a decade). Let me know if you have any suggestions.
dftr is offline   Reply With Quote