Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Bought a K5, have Amazon removed the fastboot?

Hi,

So I have recently purchased a K5 (Kindle Touch) and started to explore the device features. Note this is on a untouched system, not jailbroken.

1) I can enter the diags mode by adding an ENABLE_DIAGS file to the filesystem root. I then reach the diag menu. The system version is WHITNEY_WFO 1.0.6.242.
Strangely, I found some discrepancies with what I read in other threads, especially, under the D) Exit, Reboot or Diable Diags entry, I have no "Fastboot Bundle Install" entry. Is this normal?

Assuming that the letters are consistent between systems:
Main menu: S O E B N Y U D and L
Under D (Exit, Reboot...) I have U C R D L M and S, but no F.

2) I have tried MfgTool under Windows to switch modes. Using the magic button procedure, I can see my Kindle in HID mode with MfgTool. I was able to reboot form diags to main. However, when I tried to boot to fastboot mode, then nothing happened. Is the Kindle supposed to restart or to display nything? I only get the screen with USB on the Kindle, and it is frozen. I have to use MfgTool to boot to main to unbrick it. Am I doing something wrong? Or have Amazon disabled fastboot access?

Thanks.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
However, when I tried to boot to fastboot mode, then nothing happened. Is the Kindle supposed to restart or to display anything? I only get the screen with USB on the Kindle, and it is frozen.
In fastboot mode, Kindle display just stuck on last picture and nothing will change. No button will work, except a power button, but just a little.
Only way, how to find out, if Kindle is in fastboot is, when you can see it under connected USB devices in system (VID = 1949, PID = D0D0).
lsusb under Linux in terminal, Device Manager under Windows in Control Panels
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
In fastboot mode, Kindle display just stuck on last picture and nothing will change. No button will work, except a power button, but just a little.
Only way, how to find out, if Kindle is in fastboot is, when you can see it under connected USB devices in system (VID = 1949, PID = D0D0).
lsusb under Linux in terminal, Device Manager under Windows in Control Panels
Ah thanks a lot, will check this then.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If the "install fastboot bundle" option was removed, we can still set bootmode var to fastboot with diags idme command, executed from RUNME.sh or from SSH. It sucks that amazon would make debricking harder for newbies. Maybe they want to send out more free replacements instead...

To temporarily get to fastboot, you can use MfgTool.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote