Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
quintanion
quintanion began at the beginning.

Device: none
Upgrading from Sony PRS-600

I've had a Sony PRS-600 (touch) e-reader for the past two years. I love the portability and function of having an e-reader, but that model definitely has issues with glare on the touch screen and I'm hoping to replace it with something that is easier to view in various lighting. Mine is almost unreadable by bedside lamp or other low light source due to the glare. Otherwise it was perfect for my needs. I'd love some advice on the best replacement option.

I really only need something to read books on - 3G, color, etc are not necessary, but I do like the touch screen for maximizing the usable space. Kindle is not an option because I have purchased most of my books in epub format and also utilize epub loans from my local library. Any recommendations between Nook Touch, the newer Sony model, or Kobo touch? Any other options I'm forgetting? I'm mostly concerned about screen/image quality and ease of use. Have the newer Sony's fixed the issues with glare, and are there significant differences between different brands of touch screen e-readers?

Thanks for any input you have!
quintanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Sony PRS-T1! Send in your 600 for a $50 credit, then the T1 will only cost you $49.

I don't have a T1, I have a 650 (I had a 600 but sent it in for the similar promotion last year, and got a 650), but my friend has a T1 and I've played around with it. The screen is not even comparable to the 600. It's amazing.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Sony PRS-T1! Send in your 600 for a $50 credit, then the T1 will only cost you $49.

I don't have a T1, I have a 650 (I had a 600 but sent it in for the similar promotion last year, and got a 650), but my friend has a T1 and I've played around with it. The screen is not even comparable to the 600. It's amazing.
+1 The organizing features are still best with the Sony, especially if you carry a bunch of books. The screen is amazing.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you have a Sony then the latest Sony reader seems like a good bet. You already know the device and the books will transfer easily. I would check and make sure that the new firmware fixes the bugs that seem to be pretty prevelant.

The Nook Touch would be a good fit for you. It has some type of orginzational system, I have never seen it so I can't talk it about it any depth, and it reads ADE so you would not have to worry about not being able to easily move your library. People seem to be enjoying the Nook Touch.

The Kobo Touch is also available. It does not have some of the same features of the Nook or Sony but people seem to really like it.

And if the Kindle Touch does interest you, you will find that apprentice alf on google can help you move your library in under an hour.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have the Nook ST & did have the Sony PRS T1. If my Sony had not had page flipping issues I would have never gotten the Nook. In my opinion the T1 is a wonderful reader. I love the dictionaries & the collection on it. If Sony gets the glitch out of the T1 I'll get another.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If the 600 was "perfect for your needs" as you say, then go for the newer Sony T1. I had an old 900 which had the same glare issues as your 600 so I understand. The new touchscreens work by infrared sensors and don't have this extra layer on the screen which creates glare like the 600/900 models did. I guarantee that you will be impressed by the quality of the text on the screen on the T1 (and the Kindle, Nook & Kobo ereaders as well) compared to your 600. You will find extra features like better dictionaries, multiple font choices, more font sizes and wikipedia searches on the new models. Also, you can download books from the library direct to the T1 without having to hook up to your computer.

The T1 did have a firmware stability issue with touchscreen freezes. However, a firmware update was released on Friday which fixes the issue. I am very happy with my T1 now.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
What he said!!

I just traded in my 600 for the T1 last Saturday. I got a 50.00 credit which allowed me to get the lighted cover basically for free and I also bought a charger all for $134.85. Without the trade in it would have cost $173.00

The screen is absolutely beautiful no glare in sight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post

cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote