Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
steve_bham
steve_bham began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Editing Metadata?

Hi all, im currently using Calibre and i needed to reload my ebook library.

But when i reloaded the library most of the meta data (tags, aurthor etc) had not been saved to what i changed it to. Am i doing something wrong?

I double click on the line and edit the data, all looks fine till i reload library?

Any help would be great.

Steve
steve_bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
When you say reload your library do you mean, close calibre and reopen it?

As in you open calibre, make your changes to the metadata, close calibre, open it again and your changes are gone and the metadata is back to what it was originally?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
steve_bham

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
When you say reload your library do you mean, close calibre and reopen it?

As in you open calibre, make your changes to the metadata, close calibre, open it again and your changes are gone and the metadata is back to what it was originally?
No. Sorry what i mean is i had to completely reload the library from scratch.

So selected the Calibre library and reloaded books from it.

Steve
Old 05-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Metadata is not written to the files. It is stored in the calibre database. The only time metadata is written to the file itself is when: Save to disk, Send to device, downloading from the content server, and a few other places.

What caused you having to reload your library from an existing calibre library? That shouldn't be something you need to do ever.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_bham View Post
No. Sorry what i mean is i had to completely reload the library from scratch.

So selected the Calibre library and reloaded books from it.

Steve
If you had "Rebuilt" your Library (Library Maintenance Menu item), it would have used a backup copy of the ODF and cover file stored alongside the book in the structure.

Note: If you trashed your metadata by (mis-)using a Calibre feature, this backup will have become corrupted also.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
steve_bham

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Metadata is not written to the files. It is stored in the calibre database. The only time metadata is written to the file itself is when: Save to disk, Send to device, downloading from the content server, and a few other places.

What caused you having to reload your library from an existing calibre library? That shouldn't be something you need to do ever.
Ive got a new laptop so installed the software and used the existing library to install all my books on to new computer.

Is there away to upload the metadata if you change computers?

Steve
Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_bham View Post
Ive got a new laptop so installed the software and used the existing library to install all my books on to new computer.

Is there away to upload the metadata if you change computers?

Steve
The traditional way
Is simply copy the entire Library folder to a empty location on your Lappy, then specify at Install/or switch to if Calibre is installed.
The only thing that does not move is custom (preference) settings, (those are stored in a hidden (OS) folder), and I don't think those can be transferred to a different user environment as system unique settings are included.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
steve_bham

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The traditional way
Is simply copy the entire Library folder to a empty location on your Lappy, then specify at Install/or switch to if Calibre is installed.
The only thing that does not move is custom (preference) settings, (those are stored in a hidden (OS) folder), and I don't think those can be transferred to a different user environment as system unique settings are included.
Thanks im not the brightest cookie when it comes to computers!!!