Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
bazmaz
Uke strummer
bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
New ukulele book - for beginners

Hi folks, hope you like the idea of my new book that is available on Smashwords and Kindle store.

Its called, What Ukulele Players REALLY want to know, and is written as a guide for beginners.

I am a player, and found myself frustrated when starting out that the tuition books were so prescriptive - you MUST do this and that. I therefore wrote a short guide on a whole range of topics that the books just dont answer - what size uke to buy, how much to practice, how to clean it, do I need fingernails! etc. Its designed to be read in conjunction with other teaching methods, I think its light hearted, and hope it helps empower new players.

Anyway its on smashwords here - http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/37988

And also on the UK kindle store here http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Ukulele...5455072&sr=1-8

and the US store here - http://www.amazon.com/What-Ukulele-P...5455110&sr=1-8

Hope you enjoy it - its very low priced and comments are welcomed. I will be updating it too

Last edited by bazmaz; 01-19-2011 at 11:43 AM.
bazmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Cool. Thanks. Maybe this will inspire me to try to learn how to play the Uke I bought nearly a year ago.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
bazmaz
Uke strummer
bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks jgaiser - thats the idea of it, hope it helps. Its not a song book, or a theory book - its to be read alongside those books, trying to take the heat and pressure off and talks about the things that confuse most people. The uke shouldn't be a chore, it should be fun!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
bazmaz
Uke strummer

my apologies, forgot to post book cover.

enjoy
Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
salgano
salgano began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Recommended to me via Facebook - downloaded - costs very little and if you are a new player like me (thanks to darling BF who bought me a sparkly black uke for Christmas which I LOVE), this is a great help alongside tutor books,. I learned loads that is not in the books.

I recommend - buy a uke, read this book, learn the uke, smile on your face - change your life...

lol
salgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
bought it - i just couldn't resist. even though there's no mobi version. i play guitar, but only a very little ukulele. looks promising.

btw, bazmaz, do you post at agf?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Basschick - thanks for ordering

Didnt think I should offer the mobi version on smashwords, as there is effectively a mobi version on the kindle store (same price) - perhaps I should have?

Sorry, whats agf?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Basschick - I have uploaded a new version to Smashwords and checked the mobi box. It will be up later this evening if you want to download that version.

baz
Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
bought it - i just couldn't resist. even though there's no mobi version. i play guitar, but only a very little ukulele. looks promising.

btw, bazmaz, do you post at agf?
Uke and Guitar are pretty similar. All you need is the chord formations, and if you have a rudimentary sense of music theory, you'll grab it in no time.

I never thought I'd be an Uke player, but Aldrine Gurrerro at ukuleleunderground.com convinced me otherwise LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #10
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Aldrine is the man!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i already knew that, but there are probably different playing techniques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Uke and Guitar are pretty similar. All you need is the chord formations, and if you have a rudimentary sense of music theory, you'll grab it in no time.

I never thought I'd be an Uke player, but Aldrine Gurrerro at ukuleleunderground.com convinced me otherwise LOL.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
basschick
Wizard

agf is acousticguitarforum.com - about the busiest acoustic guitar site i know of, and lots of players, so i wondered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
Basschick - thanks for ordering

Didnt think I should offer the mobi version on smashwords, as there is effectively a mobi version on the kindle store (same price) - perhaps I should have?

Sorry, whats agf?
got the mobi version - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
Basschick - I have uploaded a new version to Smashwords and checked the mobi box. It will be up later this evening if you want to download that version.

baz
Old 01-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
bazmaz
Uke strummer

@Basschick

ahh, nope, not used AGF - will check it out, thanks.

Glad you got the mobi- still not sure why I didnt put it up there in the first place. Ho hum, its there now, so all bases covered.

Enjoy
Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
salgano
salgano began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Finished this book now, but gone back and re-read some chapters - like the section on looking at the setup of the instrument. Mine was hopeless, but follwed guide and sanded the bridge a bit and now its in tune!

Great
salgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
bazmaz
Uke strummer

@basschick/jhempel - there is a lot of overlap with uke and guitar - not least that the top 4 strings of a guitar are tuned the same (albeit at a different relative pitch) so chord positions are familiar (a D chord on a guitar makes a G on the uke, fingered exactly the same way)

The playing technique though can differ - traditionally they are held to the body, high up and strummed at end of fingerboard with fingers, not behind sound hole.

Otherwise, lots of similarities.

@Salgano - I was in two minds about the setup section, because it is so easy to mess things up - think I put in enough warnings not to go too fast. Glad yours worked out.

I encourage anyone buying an instrument (whatever it is) that they need to learn how it works, how it is set up. Always seemed daft to me to have a guitar and have to rely on paying a tech every time I needed work.