Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #346
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post

Since you are so fond of asking for proof and links and such I'd be obliged if you could provide some proof or a link or something?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #347
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Never fear; this necrohippoflagellation has no end!

In fact, I kinda think it's moved beyond "dead horse" and into "zombie horse," because if it was just dead, you'd expect it to *stay put*, and not move to wherever the newest conversation is taking place.

Right, but instead it is undead and eats brains!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #348
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:

Since you are so fond of asking for proof and links and such I'd be obliged if you could provide some proof or a link or something?
Hm, sounds like something just got dropped into a pond. Because, you know, demanding people do what you want is such a mark of not being an egotist. Oh, wait...
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #349
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
You believe using "right and wrong" as the basis of making decisions is "wrong".(though I'm sure you will term it something else, the end result is the same regardless of the word you choose) You believe using a "more advanced set of concepts and a "better" moral theory" as the basis of making decisions is "right".(again, I'm sure you will term it something else, the end result is the same regardless of the word you choose)

What's to not understand?
You seem to miss that the simplistic concept of right and wrong that was talked about is just a very simplistic concept that cannot be used if you start to think more seriously about how moral theories works and what the words mean. What does it mean for something to be right for example? And so on.

Some people say simplistic things like "killing people is wrong" but when they analyse it they do not mean that. They mean something like "killing people is usually wrong but not in the following cases...". And even that is problematic since most people cannot really specify what they mean by "wrong".
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #350
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Hm, sounds like something just got dropped into a pond. Because, you know, demanding people do what you want is such a mark of not being an egotist. Oh, wait...
I've only asked you do what you have so often asked others to do?

Why isn't what is good for the goose good for the gander in the case?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #351
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

Cheers,
PKFFW
It's cruel to keep a gander in a case
Old 03-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #352
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

Cheers,
PKFFW

Because everybody know they're more important than other people.......
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #353
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You seem to miss that the simplistic concept of right and wrong that was talked about is just a very simplistic concept that cannot be used if you start to think more seriously about how moral theories works and what the words mean. What does it mean for something to be right for example? And so on.

Some people say simplistic things like "killing people is wrong" but when they analyse it they do not mean that. They mean something like "killing people is usually wrong but not in the following cases...". And even that is problematic since most people cannot really specify what they mean by "wrong".
No nothing is simplistic about it, it's very clear what is wrong is what the society you live in says is wrong.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #354
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Hmm. No, I think I might have to disagree with that statement. What society says is wrong is usually illegal... but not necessarily wrong. Society's been wrong before about such things. The lack of legal gay marriage stands out as an example of that in my mind.

I'd say it's more a matter of ethics themselves than what society has to say about them.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #355
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
Hmm. No, I think I might have to disagree with that statement. What society says is wrong is usually illegal... but not necessarily wrong. Society's been wrong before about such things. The lack of legal gay marriage stands out as an example of that in my mind.

I'd say it's more a matter of ethics themselves than what society has to say about them.

This is only true if you believe in absolutes of right and wrong -- which I've been accused of, but is not true.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #356
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
Because I've asked people to provide data to back up their positions, not provide personally identifying details or reveal details of personal encounters - there are absolutely no similarities between the situations.

I'm also formally informing you that your attempt to obtain my personal data by deception has been noted, and that it would not be a good idea for you to try and do so again. (Wouldn't be the first time I've had people try and do so, and let's just say there's been quite the mess...)

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 03-16-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #357
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Because I've asked people to provide data to back up their positions, not provide personally identifying details or reveal details of personal encounters - there are absolutely no similarities between the situations.
And all I've done is ask you to provide data to back up your claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon
I'm also formally informing you that your attempt to obtain my personal data by deception has been noted, and that it would not be a good idea for you to try and do so again. (Wouldn't be the first time I've had people try and do so, and let's just say there's been quite the mess...)
:r ofl::rof l:

Duly noted!

And thanks for the giggles.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #358
DawnFalcon
Banned

Oh I'm so pleased you think that attempted GBH by skinhead thugs is so amusing. This says everything anyone needs to know about your moral stance then*. There is absolutely nothing amusing about this whatsoever.

And no, you're asking for personal data. Again.

*To be clear: you care about getting cheap kicks rather than the actual facts because you're continuing to press for personal data when you know this is nothing to do with the statistical data I've asked for in the past. This shows your posturing of a few pages ago up nicely, and also your comment on what "some people want". I bet.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 03-16-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #359
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No nothing is simplistic about it, it's very clear what is wrong is what the society you live in says is wrong.
So, if you live in a society that says that slavery is OK, then it's OK? Are you really saying that the majority should not only rule, but that their view, or the accepted view, or the law, or whatever it is that you mean - is morally right?

Under that definition, any attempt to change the accepted view is by definition wrong. But, if it works, it's right!

Are you saying that if we have a generation that grows up with file sharing and decides that information wants to be free, then if society says it's right, it will be right? Under that view, your complaints that society have no moral fibre any more make no sense - it's simply that what is right is shifting. It seems to me that, by your own argument, what you often advocate as right (i.e. that people shouldn't violate copyright), is by your own definition wrong (because society doesn't share your view, so your view is wrong).
Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #360
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Oh I'm so pleased you think that attempted GBH by skinhead thugs is so amusing.
When I look up 'non-sequitur' in an on-line dictionary it's actually directs you to this post

Quote:
This says everything anyone needs to know about your moral stance then. There is absolutely nothing amusing about this whatsoever.

And no, you're asking for personal data. Again.
And by the way, I have personally squared the circle, discovered the whereabouts of Atlantis, disproved chaos theory and worked out how alchemy works. Unfortunately, proving that to you would mean divulging some personal information so it was all really wasted effort
Closed Thread