Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you read the Jaycee Dugard story if it was available?
Yes. 4 10.00%
No. 13 32.50%
Maybe. 3 7.50%
Who is Jaycee Dugard? 20 50.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Would you read the Jaycee Dugard story?

Would you read the Jaycee Dugard story if it was available?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Who's that?

(Oops, should have read the poll more closely, since that's actually a poll option!)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that she and her family are entitled to privacy, and would be sorry to see some hack journalist profiting by her misfortune.
If she wishes to write something then that's her privilege, but I doubt whether I would wish to read it.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Ann O Nimity
Ann O Nimity began at the beginning.

Device: eb1100
I find the situation too sad to want to read about.
Ann O Nimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted "who?" because I've not been following that story very closely at all and had no idea who she was. I've since googled it, and no - I really wouldn't be interested in reading her story if it was available.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
NO with glowing, blinking, marquee capitals. It would feel dirty, to read about that; plus there's her child involved and both girls need a lot of support and peace, not a source of information on potentially triggering memories.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I can't remember the name of it this second (it'll come later), but there is a book commonly read by student Anthropologists (ususally in a linguistics section) that relates the story of one of these young girls that was kept in a room and not taught language until her teens. this particular story relates the importance of "tools" when building language.

I believe that any of these stories are extremely important for most of the "ologist" professions.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Some things should just not be aired out in public view. The horrible and extreme violence of being kidnapped and serially raped by a pedophile being one of them. I am not even curious as to what she looks like right now. Give the poor child some peace and move on the the lettering on Michael Jackson's headstone, for ghod's sake.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Good point, but they'll probably be written aiming more at be creepy and marketable than useful for "ologists"... which is paradoxically one pro for me, from my strange POV.

EDIT: before anyone thinks I'm kind of voyeurish-creepy, it's more the interest on how the literary industry manages and typifies those narratives.

Last edited by Juliette; 09-09-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Good point, but they'll probably be written aiming more at be creepy and marketable than useful for "ologists"... which is paradoxically one pro for me, from my strange POV.
fortunately the one whose name escapes me at the moment was written towards the "ologist" POV and needs. there were not the "thrill seeking" details in it
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
on the the lettering on Michael Jackson's headstone

Thumbs up with all the rest, but- the lettering? Am I losing some news?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
fortunately the one whose name escapes me at the moment was written towards the "ologist" POV and needs. there were not the "thrill seeking" details in it
This is more than OK. Scientifical knowledge is good. Plus she'd have support by professionals, and professionals would try to understand a bit more how to help people coming from those dreadful events.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post

Thumbs up with all the rest, but- the lettering? Am I losing some news?
The first inconsequential and trivial detail of that whole affair that came to mind...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
For those of you who haven't heard of Jaycee Dugard, she was an eleven-year-old girl that was kidnapped eighteen years ago and was just found a couple weeks ago. Her kidnapper had raped her, fathered her two children, and forced them to live in tents in his backyard -- the children had never been to a doctor or to school.

On the surface of it, it is a horrible story, and nothing but a horrible story. However, Jaycee was able to survive the ordeal, and not only did she survive, but she also taught her daughters how to read and write, even though she herself hadn't been to school since she was eleven (her kids are now 11 and 15). Jaycee also worked at her kidnapper's printing company as the office manager I believe.

I certainly believe that Jaycee and her children deserve privacy, however, if Jaycee ever decided to tell her story, I don't know if I would read it or not, but maybe. My heart certainly goes out to her, her kids, and her family (her mom and step-dad's marriage didn't survive the ordeal).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
no -
i'm not too sure which is the more terrifying prospect - this story or the underlying one that allowed a known deviant the opportunity.
parallels recent stories from Europe, so is unlikely to be the last .... (may the good gods help us)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote