Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
ColMac
Connoisseur
ColMac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Remove errors

I frequently use the remove books button in the toolbar.

Almost always, I want to use the "except" option.

However once or twice, because the arrow at the right of the button is so narrow in relation to the remainder of the button, I have hit the main button and deleted the selected books in error. Luckily, I have always managed to recover from the error, but .......

In view of the consequences of hitting the delete button, would it be possible to remove the functionality from the button itself. That way, hitting the button would ALWAYS open the sub-menu, making the chances of error much lower.

Thanks
ColMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is a confirmation dialog when you delete, unless you have disabled it, in which case you can re-enable it in Preferences->Behavior. And note that you dont need to click the arrow to popup the menu, right click anywhere on the button instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
ColMac
Connoisseur
ColMac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Remove errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is a confirmation dialog when you delete, unless you have disabled it, in which case you can re-enable it in Preferences->Behavior. And note that you dont need to click the arrow to popup the menu, right click anywhere on the button instead.
Wow that was quick!

Thanks for such a prompt reply - and a very helpful one too.

I wasn't aware of the reset button in behaviour. It is kinda little bit hidden unless you klnow it is there. As you suspected, it was unchecked. Restoring the check has solved the problem, as you predicted.

I do find that the preferences section a bit confusing. As an example, Behaviour, Toolbar, and Add your own columns, could be argued to be "look and Feel issues". Some of the choices under searching also are "look and feel" relevant.

I also find that I often forget to "apply" (especially as the button is as far away from the top of the screen as possible) after changing a preference.

The problem is that you have made the program so infinitely customisable that controlling this mass of customisation becomes a potential nightmare.

However these are minor issues. the prog is great, so thanks and also thanks for the superb help.

Colin

PS I was also unaware of the right click option on buttons (I've also spotted it works with others too.) A great new feature I've just learned!
ColMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ColMac - the layout of Preferences was rejigged in version 2.18 - I think you'll find the the changes address some of your concerns.

Also, almost every action in calibre can have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it. IMO they're invaluable, this is what I have for Remove :

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	134757

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
remove