Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Hairy Scot
Hairy Scot began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Question Moon+ Reader Pro : missing covers

I have Moon+ Reader Pro and Calibre Companion on my Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Synced Calibre Companion with my Calibre Library on PC then imported from Companion to Moon+.
Found that not all book covers show up correctly in Moon+, although they are correct in Calibre Companion.
Is there a way to fix this?
Hairy Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Hairy Scot,
I'm a little vague here because I don't generally need to convert ebooks, but I believe you might need to double check your Preferences>Conversion>Output settings. It sounds like you might have told calibre not to include book cover images inside your preferred format when it converts books.

The ebooks that already include covers in Moon+ are probably already in your preferred output format, within calibre's library - so no conversion is needed.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Hairy Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Hairy Scot,
I'm a little vague here because I don't generally need to convert ebooks, but I believe you might need to double check your Preferences>Conversion>Output settings. It sounds like you might have told calibre not to include book cover images inside your preferred format when it converts books.

The ebooks that already include covers in Moon+ are probably already in your preferred output format, within calibre's library - so no conversion is needed.
Not quite sure what conversion is involved.
I add the books to Calibre on my PC, download/update the metadata in Calibre, then use the wireless facility with Calibre Companion to get the books onto my Tab where I use Moon+ Import to get them into the reader.
In Calibre Prefs under "Sending Books to Devices" the "Manual Management" option is set on.
Perhaps that has some bearing on what happens?
I'll retry with "Automatic Management".
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Hairy Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Scot View Post
Not quite sure what conversion is involved.
I add the books to Calibre on my PC, download/update the metadata in Calibre, then use the wireless facility with Calibre Companion to get the books onto my Tab where I use Moon+ Import to get them into the reader.
In Calibre Prefs under "Sending Books to Devices" the "Manual Management" option is set on.
Perhaps that has some bearing on what happens?
I'll retry with "Automatic Management".
Tried with "Automatic Management": no luck.
Still have missing covers and titles.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hairy Scot,
When you transfer a book from calibre's library to a reading device, there are certain things that occur. The metadata is updated (if it needs it) and various changes are made to the internal structure of the ebook. This can include a wide variety of things, including whether or not the book should have a cover image inside the ebook file. It also includes converting one ebook format to another.

Many of these options can be manually set in the Output settings. This allows users to optimize a book for their unique situation. So long as calibre's library has all the original data, you can create as many device specific ebooks as needed. (Keeping this data safe is why user's are told never to go into calibre's files and manually do stuff - you risk losing your data.)

Calibre does a fine job at automating things, but the process can never be completely automatic, although calibre comes close.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Hairy Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Hairy Scot,
When you transfer a book from calibre's library to a reading device, there are certain things that occur. The metadata is updated (if it needs it) and various changes are made to the internal structure of the ebook. This can include a wide variety of things, including whether or not the book should have a cover image inside the ebook file. It also includes converting one ebook format to another.

Many of these options can be manually set in the Output settings. This allows users to optimize a book for their unique situation. So long as calibre's library has all the original data, you can create as many device specific ebooks as needed. (Keeping this data safe is why user's are told never to go into calibre's files and manually do stuff - you risk losing your data.)

Calibre does a fine job at automating things, but the process can never be completely automatic, although calibre comes close.
I am actually quite happy with Calibre, Calibre Companion, and Moon+.
The thing with the covers and titles is just a minor annoyance.
Everything looks fine in Calibre, and in the Calibre Companion shelf.
There are just a number of books whose titles and covers do not show correctly in Moon+ shelves. The covers are being generated by Moon+ and the titles show as numeric strings like "00138670013 05660760_02".
As far as I can see, all of the books involved are in mobi format so I guess Moon+ is not finding what it expects in the book file.
Perhaps I should try converting one to epub in Calibre and see if that makes a difference.
(It would keep me out of mischief for a while. )
Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I'm no expert with Calibre, but I found that when I added a cover to an epub it didn't "stick" unless I converted it from epub to epub. Just saving it didn't seem to work at keeping the cover.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Hairy Scot

Just converted one of the problem books from mobi to epub in Calibre, sent it across to Companion, imported it to Moon+, and lo and behold the title and cover show correctly!

I wonder if I now convert same book from epub back to mobi...........???
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
Hairy Scot

Just discovered that the problem books were apparently all created using "ABC Amber LIT Converter" whose "watermark" appears on every page.
I will have to have a word with my supplier.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Scot View Post
Just converted one of the problem books from mobi to epub in Calibre, sent it across to Companion, imported it to Moon+, and lo and behold the title and cover show correctly!

I wonder if I now convert same book from epub back to mobi...........???
Maybe try converting mobi to mobi would work?

I don't know about watermarks........
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Sabardeyn
Guru

I'm glad that you were able to determine what the problem was and discover away around the issue.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
dutchie1
dutchie1 began at the beginning.

Device: Mantano
Calibre - Calibre Companion - Moon+ Reader pro

I have the above 3 software programs together with my Nexus 10. I think that this is one of the best combinations to read your Ebooks.
One "problem" though. Meticulous guy as I am I want the book cover to cover(!) the complete screen of the Nexus. When I put the book in Calibre I choose the best option Calibre has to offer, which is usually the one with the highest resolution.
I transfer the books to Calibre Companion and from there to Moon+ Reader Pro.
I discovered that the highest resolution does not always give a complete screen coverage. Sometimes a lower resolution does the job, but then it occasionally gives a fuzzy picture. I tried to find a solution within Moon+ Reader, but although the program itself is superb, the manual is non-existent and my question to MR+ has not been answered so far.
Would anybody know how to go about this?
Thanks.
dutchie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I also use calibre, but I use calibre cloud instead of calibre companion, and I also use moon + reader pro.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote