Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
cipesek
cipesek began at the beginning.

Device: none
Better metadata/cover search

Hi there,
I have some ideas about better search of metadata for foreign books (I am from Slovakia and in general its rare to find book by localized caption):

- first of all It would be much useful to have one more edit line in metadata editor with "original/english caption": english releases are most frequent and much likely to be found on google/amazon...its good to have rating/cover/comments in English rather than none whatsoever...

- for this purpose its good to have source with multiple localized caption (although I believe "google books" is capable of it) and I have suggestion for Czech/Slovak localization myself - http://www.databazeknih.cz/ - so if anyone have interest in making metadata module or at least could direct me to some example code to allow me make module myself I would be most gratitude

- and last is "cover" search and I believe it has most lack of success: it's almost certain if I put caption+author to pictures.google.com I'll get best result in lets say 10 first matches even for localized caption! Is it possible to put google search engine results in cover search???

+ one thing about author/caption/series misinterpretation - I see its fairly impossible to access full string of original filename (for search purpose), but most decent books has its author/caption/series (sometimes even ISBN code, editors/translators name and other useful stuff) information on very first lines of document itself! I would suggest U to read all information of content (up to first multiline paragraph), compare with filename (if filename has less than 3 words its most likely incomplete or total loss e.g.:"I. Assimov - Nadace")...

PS: As I sayd - I'll appreciate any help - volunteers, advices or lead to some useful sorce (btw please excuse my grammar...)
cipesek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look in the plugins forum there many are plugins for metdata download from many different sources. It should be easy to create your own plugin using one of them as a template.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, foreign, locale, metadata