Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
arman68
arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: none
Why are ebooks so expensive?

So far I have been reading ebooks either from public domain or borrowed from libraries with overdrive. I also buy paperbooks.

Recently, I thought I would switch to buying ebooks instead of paperbooks. However, I was disgusted to find that ebooks are the same price, or more expensive than their paper counterpart! And on top of that, they are defective with DRM.

Common sense dictates that they should be half the price or less than a paperbook. Ideally, a paperbook should also come with a free ebook version if available.

Why is the pricing so wrong? Are publishers trying to prevent ebooks from taking off?
arman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
This is a common question. The search function is your friend, for example from a quick search for "expensive e-book" -- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...oto=nextnewest
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do a search on the term "agency model" or "agency 5" or "agency 6" or "agency pricing". This has been discussed on MR before. You just have to find it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Publisher greed, what else? Fighting the paradigm change tooth and nail.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Poor baby. I am disgusted with these posts. Defective with DRM? The ones I buy are less expensive than hard copy.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Books not under the big 6 are pretty cheap. Most are $5 and less, though there are a couple on my "to read" list that are up to $7.99.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Most of the books I want to buy are $6 or less. I believe this is a fair price, considering who has to be supported (author, editor, publishing house overhead and kobo).

I have only encountered the agency pricing on one book; I know this because it was the only book kobo's frequent discount codes do not work for. Sadly, I have not purchased General's Daughter (a great mystery) for this reason. I'll live.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
In Canada, The General's Daughter is $7.99 at Kobobooks and not available at all at Amazon as a Kindle. This is why I am happy to have both a Kobo and a Kindle -- there's a choice. I don't consider $8 out of line; the paperback is $9.50.

Then again, I don't agree with the OP: my experience is that ebooks are generally a considerable savings over available print copies and DRM seems to work just fine (I haven't found it to be defective).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
$6 is my pricepoint as well. If I want a book that is more, I wait until I get a $5 Amazon gift certificate from swagbucks, and use that to fund part of the purchase.

Since I have hundreds of ebooks in my to-be-read queue, and have access to another boatload via the library, I just wait for the price to come down. No doubt on some books I will wait in futility, but I'll never run out of books to read.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by arman68 View Post
Common sense dictates that they should be half the price or less than a paperbook.
Common sense may dicatate that, but reality disagrees. At most, 10% of the cost of producing a book goes to putting ink on paper (less on more popular books).
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Why is the pricing so wrong? Are publishers trying to prevent ebooks from taking off?
If they are... it's backfiring. They're selling like hotcakes last I checked.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Common sense may dicatate that, but reality disagrees. At most, 10% of the cost of producing a book goes to putting ink on paper (less on more popular books).
Common sense on this must have vast misperceptions. Paper books have the following costs: printing, boxing, shipping, storage, shelf space, all per book. Ebooks have none of those overhead prices. Electronic shipment via internet cannot compare to the creation and handling of paper books. So I have a hard time understanding where only 10% of the costs are related to printing on paper.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
That's the crux of the matter. Everyone assumes that paper, printing/binding, and transportation add up to a large chunk of the cost of books, but it doesn't seem to be the case. It reminds me of the old fact(?) about fountain drinks: the most expensive part of the beverage is actually the ice (electricity), and the cheapest part is the soda itself.

ETA: A quick search revealed a NYT article which identified the cost of printing, storing, and shipping a hypothetical $26 book at $3.25.

Last edited by witeowl; 05-30-2011 at 07:54 PM.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
FWIW, Here's a good thread and an interesting post on the cost of producing ebooks I tucked away awhile back:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15&post1014815

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=452

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If they are... it's backfiring. They're selling like hotcakes last I checked.
Yeah, but didn't Amazon say it was the cheaper books that were flying off the, er, shelves?

Plus, sales should be increasing dramatically, to stay in proportion to sales of devices, which are selling like hotcakes, and the reports I've seen show that the #1 reason or one of the top 3 reasons people gave for buying an ereader was the cheaper cost of ebooks vs paper.

Personally, I'll gladly pay the premium for new releases, but I don't see how publishers can expect people not to complain when there are so many situations like this:

George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set:
Kindle Edition $35.99
Paperback $19.77

Or the Roberta Gellis and SK Penman book prices, or which are/*were even more ridiculous.

*A few weeks later, the prices on 9 of the Roberta Gellis' backlist books I was wanting came available on Baen, or dropped from $9.99 to $5-6. At that point, I bought them all.

Anyway, I don't think they need to be uber-cheap, but I do think publishers need to adjust their pricing strategies for ebooks.

I expect they will, as time shows what great customers we are.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
In Canada, The General's Daughter is $7.99 at Kobobooks and not available at all at Amazon as a Kindle. This is why I am happy to have both a Kobo and a Kindle -- there's a choice. I don't consider $8 out of line; the paperback is $9.50.

Then again, I don't agree with the OP: my experience is that ebooks are generally a considerable savings over available print copies and DRM seems to work just fine (I haven't found it to be defective).
I think what the OP means is that it prevents you from reading the book on any reader you wish. I have that problem with Mobipocket books. Amazon owns the company, but in order to read books I already own on my Kindle I have to either find out how to strip the DRM from them or buy Kindle versions of the same book. Why should someone have to buy the same book twice from the same seller?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote