Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #1
ChrisvB
ChrisvB began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook touch Hd3
Touch HD 3 freezes at 85%

I hope people here can help me with an issue I'm encountering with my touch HD3.

I've been having issues that books (typically epubs with our without DRM) get stuck at about 85%. It loads and reads fine until at some point I turn to the next page and it just won't go there. It won't go to the book menu either, but I can still go to the home screen. This happens usually on the third book I'm reading and is consistent from there.

The interesting thing is that it does seem to remember where I go: if it happens on page 207 and I click 4 times, I need to click 5 times to get back to page 206. The page never turns (screen remains frozen) until I reach the point of getting back to page 206.

After a factory reset it's fine again for two books (but I lose all settings of course), but freezes on the third. I have been in contact with PB support for a long time, but nothing worked (sw upgrades, including beta versions, memory resets); send it in for repair twice but the issue could not be replicated (I only needed to switch it on to reproduce it, but ok...). Finally got it replaced after proving my issue in the store. However, third book in on the new device: same issue.

So I'm second guessing myself now. If it's not faulty hardware (unless it's faulty on both devices), and not faulty epubs (the ones freezing work fine on PB cloud when reading in chrome on my laptop, they also work fine if they are book 1 or 2 after reset), is it something I'm doing that could cause this?

Maybe I should try downgrading all the way to v5 software, but I haven't been able to find others with these issues online so far.
ChrisvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
wold
wold began at the beginning.

Device: PB Lux 5
From your description, it almost seems memory related. You could try opening the task manager on the 2nd or 3rd book, to check if the previous books are not kept open in the background (see menubar, or keep home pressed), and close them.

Other options are trying default english interface, different font, and toggling settings off like page numbers. One can only try
wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
ChrisvB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wold View Post
From your description, it almost seems memory related. You could try opening the task manager on the 2nd or 3rd book, to check if the previous books are not kept open in the background (see menubar, or keep home pressed), and close them.

Other options are trying default english interface, different font, and toggling settings off like page numbers. One can only try
I agree, I also concluded it must be memory. But it's weird that the memory of both devices would be faulty with exactly the same symptoms, reproducible. No other books are open in the task manager. I will try to play around with the settings, although obviously they should work. But maybe it gives more insight in the root cause.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
nhedgehog
Fanatic
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
From my experience this is often book related: faulty formatting in the epub.
Pocketbook has two ebook viewer factory installed, selecting those is done via: Library - Longclick on selected book - open with.

If the book has no hard DRM, try to install KoReader, I seldom use the internal reader since KoReader has so much more to offer.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
wold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisvB View Post
I agree, I also concluded it must be memory. But it's weird that the memory of both devices would be faulty with exactly the same symptoms, reproducible. No other books are open in the task manager. I will try to play around with the settings, although obviously they should work. But maybe it gives more insight in the root cause.
Meant software memory of the reader app, memory leaks, etc. You can try toggling settings, but upon reflection, it's likely the firmware or epubs. If it's firmware, PB support should be able to reproduce the issue with the same files, and fix it...

There were recommendations about dropping to firmware 5, or trying KoReader, a drop-in replacement reader, that you could try. But frankly, if nothing helps, it's simply not working out for you, so at worse, just chuck it

Personally, I've had little issues with my lux. Some older 1000+ page code epubs, do have some lag when opening and using TOC navigation.

Last edited by wold; 04-25-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Advert
Old 04-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
ChrisvB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Pocketbook has two ebook viewer factory installed, selecting those is done via: Library - Longclick on selected book - open with.

If the book has no hard DRM, try to install KoReader, I seldom use the internal reader since KoReader has so much more to offer.
I can't logically conclude it's book related: once it happens on the 3rd book, it happens exactly the same on every next book (including PDFs). After reset the book that started the problems will open and continue just fine. All books also work fine on the web version and Apple app of PB cloud, that's how I now finish my books.

I tried both in-built epub readers, same result (but I only tried was the issue already happened). Approximately half my books are DRM protected. I might try KoReader for the others. At least reduces the issues until I find a solution.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
ChrisvB

Quote:
Meant software memory of the reader app, memory leaks, etc. You can try toggling settings, but upon reflection, it's likely the firmware or epubs. If it's firmware, PB support should be able to reproduce the issue with the same files, and fix it...
Yeah, I also think memory leaks, but I linked it to the device. More likely to be firmware/reader app indeed. Upgrading didn't help with several versions, but I don't remember if I ever tried downgrading. Worth a try, I guess. But since this is not reported as a standard error, it might just be my particular combination of settings.

They said they couldn't reproduce it, even though I literally turned the reader on on the page where the issue materialized when they returned it. I've given up on PB support/their repair partner.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook HD3
Quote:
Didn't know that. You learn something new every day. (Maybe I should read my manual?)

I haven't had the OP's problem — but I haven't read three books on the HD3 yet so that's not really a test.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:28 AM   #9
nhedgehog
Fanatic
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisvB View Post
I can't logically conclude it's book related: once it happens on the 3rd book, it happens exactly the same on every next book (including PDFs). After reset the book that started the problems will open and continue just fine. All books also work fine on the web version and Apple app of PB cloud, that's how I now finish my books.

I tried both in-built epub readers, same result (but I only tried was the issue already happened). Approximately half my books are DRM protected. I might try KoReader for the others. At least reduces the issues until I find a solution.
Strange, never heard of it. Having read dozens of epub without ever seeing this happening (I'm on the new firmware too) can't say anything more without having a look at the one of the (non-DRMed) epubs its happing with.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:48 AM   #10
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Just to be clear: Does it happen to the third book you read in a row, opening and finishing one after the other, or do you have three books open simultaneously?
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:18 AM   #11
wold

Quote:
That could be tested to a degree: from, say gutenberg.org, get a few of the most downloaded books.

The other epubs, do they come from the same source/publisher? (bol.com, Baen, etc.)

Quote:
Finally got it replaced after proving my issue in the store.
Quote:
But it's weird that the memory of both devices would be faulty with exactly the same symptoms, reproducible.
Quote:
They said they couldn't reproduce it, even though I literally turned the reader on on the page where the issue materialized when they returned it.
Did you get a new unit, or the same? Since many kobo/pb reviews mention "received my Nth one", they may just be returning the same unit after resetting. Economically, why waste more stock on a customer that has complex problems and won't be likely to return? However, comparing HW serials won't likely be possible now.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:20 AM   #12
ChrisvB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Just to be clear: Does it happen to the third book you read in a row, opening and finishing one after the other, or do you have three books open simultaneously?
Third in a row.

Played a bit with the settings yesterday. If I switch to wider line spacing (middle option), it worked for a book that previously had issues. Tried a another thicker book and scrolled through to the end. Issue appeared only at second to last page. Changed to least margins setting, and it worked until the end. This was one of the standard epubs that come pre-installed (Oliver twist).

The logic is beyond me, something to do with how it displays the pages/loads them into memory/???
Not my ideal settings now, but at least I have options to properly finish my books. Still, it should work if given these options, certainly for an e-reader in this price range.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:31 AM   #13
ChrisvB

Quote:
That could be tested to a degree: from, say gutenberg.org, get a few of the most downloaded books.

The other epubs, do they come from the same source/publisher? (bol.com, Baen, etc.)

Did you get a new unit, or the same? Since many kobo/pb reviews mention "received my Nth one", they may just be returning the same unit after resetting. Economically, why waste more stock on a customer that has complex problems and won't be likely to return? However, comparing HW serials won't likely be possible now.
It's new, unpacked in the store, different serial number. No scratches, buttons feel new too.

Books are from different sources: bookstores like bol.com/paagman/ebooks.com, tried pre-installed ones, with and without DRM, epub and PDF. Playing with the settings seems to help. Maybe my approach of squeezing as much text on a page (fontsize 7, smallest line spacing etc.) is pushing the limits of the reader app though it shouldn't of course.
Thanks for that suggestion!
Old 04-26-2021, 04:00 AM   #14
nhedgehog
Fanatic

What energy management settings are you using?
Old 04-26-2021, 04:21 AM   #15
ChrisvB

Default. Auto screen lock off, power off after 10 minutes. I had different settings on my previous device.