Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
bbkindlebb
bbkindlebb began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2 (6th gen)
PW2 Broken screen- How to know motherboard is broken or not?

Hey everyone!

My PW's screen got broken after I accidentally put my elbow on it. It doesn't show anything but a small part of the wallpaper.

When I do hard reset, it enters in a boot-cycle and it doesn't end for around 10 min. I understand it from the light that goes and off repeatedly.
Also, my computer doesn't recognize it when plugged in (tested the cable and the usb slot with a friend's kindle).

My question is:
How can I understand whether the motherboard is problematic as well, before I replace the screen???

If I won't be able to revive it with a screen replacement, it is then time to keep the bezel and the battery and trash the rest.

Any suggestion/info is very much appreciated!
Merry Christmas!

Last edited by bbkindlebb; 12-27-2015 at 03:24 AM.
bbkindlebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
How old is the PW?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkindlebb View Post
My question is:
How can I understand whether the motherboard is problematic as well, before I replace the screen???

If I won't be able to revive it with a screen replacement, it is then time to keep the bezel and the battery and trash the rest.
I would advise you to just buy a new PW3. A lot less hassle than trying to replace the screen. And if the motherboard is gone too (as seems likely) it's really your only option. Most of the value is in the screen, and what's left is the motherboard. The bezel and battery are incredibly inexpensive.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have to agree that it does sound like the motherboard is gone from your description. The broken screen wouldn't keep it from connecting to your PC. I think you'll be smart not to throw any money into it and just get a new one.

I also suggest not putting your elbow through whatever replaces it. Thanks to your experience I now know not to try that, too.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
bbkindlebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
How old is the PW?
It was 15 months old when it happened. Customer service only offered some discount on refurbished devices.
Advert
Old 12-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
bbkindlebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have to agree that it does sound like the motherboard is gone from your description. The broken screen wouldn't keep it from connecting to your PC. I think you'll be smart not to throw any money into it and just get a new one.

I also suggest not putting your elbow through whatever replaces it. Thanks to your experience I now know not to try that, too.

Barry
Thanks for the input! I learned it through the hard way, unfortunately. It had its hard shell case on it, as always since I bought the device, but still it didn't prevent my killer elbow. The worst part was that I didn't notice what I had done and opened the lid to keep reading and faced with the pain. So, never trust your case either...

One humble suggestion is put it facing downward on soft surfaces like bed and couch, so the screen is safe. I don't think my 'elbow impact' could have gone through the back all the way to the screen and break it

Well, I guess I will just be happy that I read around 30 books on it, which is kinda something.

Thank you once again!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
bbkindlebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I would advise you to just buy a new PW3. A lot less hassle than trying to replace the screen. And if the motherboard is gone too (as seems likely) it's really your only option. Most of the value is in the screen, and what's left is the motherboard. The bezel and battery are incredibly inexpensive.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I think I will go ahead and buy a new one, maybe a different brand this time.

Safe readings with your Kindle!
Old 12-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Most ereaders are all basically the same design as to screens and motherboards. An elbow to any of them will be the same.
Look where your elbow is going before putting it on a surface.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't think you can blame the Kindle. I currently have 4 Kindle e-ink readers and a few Fires. I bought the Kindle Keyboard when it was first available and I've had every Kindle since except the ones without lights since lights became available. I've also bought quite a few of them for my neighbors. All are still in working order.

I have a case for when I take the Kindle elsewhere, which I rarely do. At home I use it without the case. I always have. Never a problem. These things are tough.

I guess if you'll feel comfortable with a different brand that can't hurt anything but the problem was your elbow, not the Kindle. Although you probably can't get a different brand of elbow.

Have you considered some sort of padding on your elbow for when you're reading?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motherboard, paperwhite 2, repair, screen