Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Question oled vs lcd, which causes less eye fatigue?

Hi, I wonder which one causes less eye fatigue and whether there are ereaders that use oled tablets/netbooks in the market.

Thanks.
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Assuming by "LCD" you mean "backlit LCD", I don't think that there is a difference as a class. Also, "backlit LCD" should be broken into two distinct classes, fluorescent backlighting and LED backlighting. Low frequency fluorescent backlighting (rare or non-existent in battery operated devices) can lead to eyestrain.

Individual screens will have some difference, but that is a factor of the brightness controls, screen resolution (in PPI), the performance of the text rendering engine, and the appropriateness of the particular fonts used.

I've not used OLED screens for any extended time, but have used reflective LCD (yet another distinct class), fluorescent backlit LCD, and LED backlit LCD screens, along with eInk screens both unlit and frontlit, for extended periods of time, a lot of it reading ebooks. I've not had any real eyestrain issues with any of them, provided the unlit screens were used in good light, though the newer higher resolution screens are easier on my aging eyes.

The only time I have had eyestrain issues they were caused by either old low frequency CRT displays and/or improper/out-of-date eyeglass perscriptions.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
When reading in the dark oled is far superior than backlit lcd when you are willing to use black background. If you use a light background the differences become very small. Black on oled is black, backlit lcd is never really black. Back when I used to read epubs I prefered red text on black background. Now I exclusively read Kindle, the app does not allow red text, so I am not reading on the app no more, but on my Paperwhite.

I prefer my Paperwhite (front led lit eink) even over red on black oled. Main reason is frequent trips in and out of dark and light areas or walking while reading in and out of the house on sunny days.

Matter of preference, but oled has the advantage over backlit lcd when using black background.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
When reading in the dark oled is far superior than backlit lcd when you are willing to use black background. If you use a light background the differences become very small. Black on oled is black, backlit lcd is never really black. Back when I used to read epubs I prefered red text on black background. Now I exclusively read Kindle, the app does not allow red text, so I am not reading on the app no more, but on my Paperwhite.

I prefer my Paperwhite (front led lit eink) even over red on black oled. Main reason is frequent trips in and out of dark and light areas or walking while reading in and out of the house on sunny days.

Matter of preference, but oled has the advantage over backlit lcd when using black background.
Absolutely right.. oled really amazing with black background on dark

Tags
ereaders, lcd, oled