Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Bug: Copying Error (OleSetClipboard)

Platform: Windows 10 1809 (believe this is a Windows-only bug)
Sigil Version: 0.9.10

Seems like a Qt bug, might be related to this bug (supposedly fixed in Qt 5.12.0?):

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-27097

I did a search for "OleSetClipboard: Failed to set mime data", and not many results pop up in Google (~130).

Steps to Reproduce

I don't have a reliable test case, but I was copying/pasting between Google Docs (Chrome) + Microsoft Word 2016 + and Sigil.

Every so often, pressing Ctrl+C in Sigil would fail to copy, and this error would occur:

Code:
Error info: Critical: OleSetClipboard: Failed to set mime data (text/plain, text/html, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text) on clipboard: COM error 0xffffffff80070008  (Unknown error 0x0ffffffff80070008) (The parameter is incorrect.)
Sigil version: 0.9.10
Runtime Qt: 5.6.2
Compiled Qt: 5.6.2
Platform: Windows SysInfo ID 192
Every time I would press Ctrl+C, the error would pop up, and nothing would be copied to the clipboard.

If I closed Sigil and reopened, I was able to copy/paste fine.

After the error occurred, if I went to something like Notepad++ and copied plain text... it seems like I could sometimes get Sigil working again. But once it got into this funk, restarting Sigil was pretty much the only reliable way to clear it out.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-20-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 AM   #2
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I confirm it.
Newest build for Windows from github.

Code:
Error info: Critical: OleSetClipboard: Failed to set mime data (text/plain) on clipboard: COM error 0xffffffff800401d0  (Unknown error 0x0800401d0) (Parametr jest niepoprawny.)
Runtime Qt: 5.11.2
Compiled Qt: 5.11.2
Easier to call an error:
1. Enable visible "Clip Bar" toolbar
2. Put cursor in field "Find:"
3. Select any Clip from Clib Bar
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Must be pretty intermittent (or dependent upon as yet undetermined conditions).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314249

Just so you know: Qt 5.12 has its own new Sigil affecting bugs. Welcome to Qt's 3 steps forward, 3.5 steps back development strategy. They're always eager to leave the old line's unresolved bugs behind to languish in order to rush the new line's new crop of bugs to production.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-21-2019 at 08:43 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I confirm it.

[...]

Easier to call an error:
I was able to confirm this.

But strange, I got the bug to pop up the first time. Then I closed Sigil and reopened, and on every attempt after, it worked fine (tried about 8 times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Must be pretty intermittent (or dependent upon as yet undetermined conditions).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314249
How did I miss this topic? :P

If I knew that, I would've posted right in there.

Oh, and I forgot to add more information in mine. It happened both in Code View + Book View when trying to copy text.

Sometimes it was copying and pasting code/text OUT of Sigil, and sometimes it was copying/pasting INTO Sigil's Find box.

Couldn't really find any rhyme or reason to it.

Quote:
Just so you know. Qt 5.12 has its own new Sigil affecting bugs. Welcome to Qt's 3 steps forward, 3.5 steps back development strategy. They're always eager to leave the old line's unresolved bugs behind to languish in order to rush the new line's new crop of bugs to production.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Easier to call an error:
I still haven't been able to make it happen, yet. I'm trying on Windows 10 x64 with both the official release and github builds.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-21-2019 at 09:21 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This is not something that we (Sigil) can fix. It is an inherent Qt / Windows bug. To make it worse, we can not move to the fixed version: Qt 5.12.0 as it has other bugs which break Sigil. We have aready reported two "fixes" to Qt recent broken patches to them. So we are between a rock and a hard place here. The original bug you found was reported in 2012 and basically nothing was done for 6 years!

It is important to note, as is documented in that bug report, the problem occurs when there is another app or service open that has control or is monitoring the clipboard. The list of things that do that us quite long, Dropbox, Virtual Machines, QtCreator itself, other editors, etc, etc. So restarting just temporarily seems to fix this but given the potential clash, it will reoccur.

Sorry, I do not think we can work around this bug from our end, so the only way for us to fix it would be to build, release, and maintain our own Qt version which is a huge amount of work.

Let's hope Qt rapidlyadopts the two fixes for their recent broken patches that we need in Qt 5.12.2 and then we can move to that release.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Platform: Windows 10 1809 (believe this is a Windows-only bug)
Sigil Version: 0.9.10

Seems like a Qt bug, might be related to this bug (supposedly fixed in Qt 5.12.0?):

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-27097

I did a search for "OleSetClipboard: Failed to set mime data", and not many results pop up in Google (~130).

Steps to Reproduce

I don't have a reliable test case, but I was copying/pasting between Google Docs (Chrome) + Microsoft Word 2016 + and Sigil.

Every so often, pressing Ctrl+C in Sigil would fail to copy, and this error would occur:

Code:
Error info: Critical: OleSetClipboard: Failed to set mime data (text/plain, text/html, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text) on clipboard: COM error 0xffffffff80070008  (Unknown error 0x0ffffffff80070008) (The parameter is incorrect.)
Runtime Qt: 5.6.2
Compiled Qt: 5.6.2
Every time I would press Ctrl+C, the error would pop up, and nothing would be copied to the clipboard.

If I closed Sigil and reopened, I was able to copy/paste fine.

After the error occurred, if I went to something like Notepad++ and copied plain text... it seems like I could sometimes get Sigil working again. But once it got into this funk, restarting Sigil was pretty much the only reliable way to clear it out.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
<snip>

It is important to note, as is documented in that bug report, the problem occurs when there is another app or service open that has control or is monitoring the clipboard. The list of things that do that us quite long, Dropbox, Virtual Machines, QtCreator itself, other editors, etc, etc.

<snip>
I thought this thread had a familiar ring to it. Clipboard related problems, especially coexistence with other tools, seem to be endemic to Qt. I used to encounter quite a few issues in Sigil and calibre.

FWIW I now use Clipboard Fusion, a clipboard swiss army knife. Not had any problems since the developers added a couple of features to do what I once did with three tools. I use it on Windows and Android. It also runs on MacOS, Linux and iOS, it uses sqlite as its x-platform glue.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-21-2019 at 05:48 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote