Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Bernard Cornwell - is he any good?

I know nothing salient about Bernard Cornwell. I don't even know if he's alive or not. Does he write Fantasy? To those who have read him... what are his best books? How much do you readers rate him?
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I know nothing salient about Bernard Cornwell. I don't even know if he's alive or not. Does he write Fantasy? To those who have read him... what are his best books? How much do you readers rate him?
He’s alive and still writing. British, but lives in the US.

I’ve read his entire Sharpe series of novels, about a Rifleman during the Napoleonic Wars, and his nonfiction book about the Battle of Waterloo. I really enjoyed the Sharpe books; the quality is uneven and I thought a few weren’t very good, but overall it’s a terrific series. Lots of history, lots of gore. You wouldn’t want to binge on them, though, as there’s a sameness to the books.

I haven’t tried his other historical series or his thrillers. I admit I’m curious about the historicals, but given how early they’re set, I don’t see how he can achieve the same level of historical accuracy that made the Sharpe books so good. Of course as I haven’t read them, I have no opinion and I’ll be interested to see what others say.

However. Based on the Sharpe books alone and my understanding of your tastes, I don’t know as if his books would be to your liking.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I tried a few and was wholly unimpressed. I know he has some devotees here, but I am most certainly not one of them.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:22 AM   #4
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks issybird and astrangerhere. Forewarned is etc.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Liked his Sharpe series. He's very knowledgeable with regard to the Napoleonic era, he wrote a pretty good non fiction book on Waterloo - Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles. He tends to write long series - Sharpe is 21 books and his Warlord series (based on Arthur) is pretty long as well. I haven't read any except the Sharpe books and his book on Waterloo.

My take on him is that he's like most authors with long running series - he writes well enough to have a lot of fans, he does craftsman like work and after the first couple of books, you pretty much know what you are getting. I would recommend that if you are interested, get the first book of which ever series strikes your fancy and give it a try.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Warlord series is a trilogy. You may be thinking of the Last Kingdom Series, which is at 13 books and is set in the ninth and tenth century. I did like this series. Netflix has the British TV series version of the books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
Luffy
Wizard

Okay, well, I hope this little confusion gets solved. I'm willing to give one of his books a try. I like long running series, with exceptions.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Warlord series is a trilogy. You may be thinking of the Last Kingdom Series, which is at 13 books and is set in the ninth and tenth century. I did like this series. Netflix has the British TV series version of the books.
Apache
I haven't read either, so I'll defer to your knowledge. I just remember that he's written a a couple of series set in early England, one was loosely based on Arthur and one has a lot of books in it. I think there is also a Grail series set more in the 14th or 15th century and an American Civil War series.

I have some of the Sharpe series in paper, but it's one of those series that I haven't gotten the eBooks year. The prices of the Kindle editions are all over the place. Some for $6, others for $14 which is a bit more than I'm willing to pay for the books. This is one of those series kind of like the Hornblower series, you can read it in chronological order or published order. The first book published was the 8th book chronologically. The one I liked the most was Sharpe's Rifles which is more or less in the middle both chronologically (6th) and publishing (9th).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Grail Quest Series follows an Archer during the Reign of Edward III.
I enjoyed his standalone book Azincourt.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Mostly he writes historical fiction, weaving characters and narrative into historical events.

If you'd like to try them out, try "Sharpe's Tiger: The Siege of Seringapatam, 1799", which is the chronologically first in the Sharpe series (although not the first published).

I've really enjoyed all the books of his that I've read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I enjoyed the first several books of the Last Kingdom a few years back. But like most series that are planned to run for just as long as fans let them (as opposed to having a finite and generally outlined 3-4 book plan), I grew bored and moved on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I enjoyed the first several books of the Last Kingdom a few years back. But like most series that are planned to run for just as long as fans let them (as opposed to having a finite and generally outlined 3-4 book plan), I grew bored and moved on.
The TV series is good so far.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:11 AM   #13
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Mostly he writes historical fiction, weaving characters and narrative into historical events.

If you'd like to try them out, try "Sharpe's Tiger: The Siege of Seringapatam, 1799", which is the chronologically first in the Sharpe series (although not the first published).

I've really enjoyed all the books of his that I've read.
I'll have a go at it, but it may be in a month or so. He must have a modicum of talent. I've been wanting to read some historical fiction not set in WW2.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:12 AM   #14
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thanks for your candor. I like long running series but I always stop after the 10th book or so. Happy reading to you all.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:55 AM   #15
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
I'll have a go at it, but it may be in a month or so. He must have a modicum of talent. I've been wanting to read some historical fiction not set in WW2.
The first six books of The Last Kingdom can be bought at a very good price at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009N7J6PQ

I have read several books by Cornwell and I have enjoyed them all.
Several Sharpe books.
First five of The Last Kingdom.
I really liked the (semi)fantasy trilogy The warlord Chronicles
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote