Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #106
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, GreenMonkey. I like your attitude. Here's karma to ya. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #107
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
"I prefer real books with the no DRM, that you can loan out or resell at will. Like you should be able to - it's YOUR property!"

Well, you own the paper and the ink of a printed book, but you don't own the content. You can't republish it or make copies or make a movie out of it. Also, when you loan it, give it away or sell it, you lose your paper and ink.

With ebooks, you also don't have the right to republish it, which is what you're doing when you give a copy to someone. You aren't losing your own copy, you're making a new one and distributing it, which you don't have the right to do. Now, if you could somehow give your electrons to someone else, that would be a different matter!

Hence, DRM as a way to cut down on people making copies for friends. In order to reduce the number of people who get the book for free, publishers make the book less useful to those who pay for it.

My book is DRM-free. I'll take my income from the people who figure that Risen is worth five bucks and accept the fact that a lot more people will read it for free. I'll do that rather than cripple it with DRM which makes it less useful to those who pay the $5. I can't serve my paying customers well and cut off the freeloaders, so I'm choosing to serve my paying customers well.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 04:54 AM   #108
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post

With ebooks, you also don't have the right to republish it, which is what you're doing when you give a copy to someone. You aren't losing your own copy, you're making a new one and distributing it, which you don't have the right to do. Now, if you could somehow give your electrons to someone else, that would be a different matter!

Hence, DRM as a way to cut down on people making copies for friends. In order to reduce the number of people who get the book for free, publishers make the book less useful to those who pay for it.

My book is DRM-free. I'll take my income from the people who figure that Risen is worth five bucks and accept the fact that a lot more people will read it for free. I'll do that rather than cripple it with DRM which makes it less useful to those who pay the $5. I can't serve my paying customers well and cut off the freeloaders, so I'm choosing to serve my paying customers well.
You can sell it by giving your electrons to someone else. Give someone a copy, delete yours. Done. That takes honesty though.

I'm glad that you do yours DRM-free. It never stops anyone anyway. It's always defeated, and it only hurts paying customers.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-30-2010 at 04:57 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote