Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Von Allan
Writer/Artist guy
Von Allan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Sony Reader and Comics

(please see my edit at the end of this post)

Hi everyone,

I've recently published a graphic novel titled Stargazer and I've created what I hope is an optimized epub version of the first 22 pages or so for the Sony Reader. It's free for anyone who would like to give it a try. I should add that I validated the epub over at the Threepress Consulting site and everything passed just fine. Now it's just a matter of whether it's readable on individual devices. I have a PRS-300 and it loads just fine, but I would love some feedback on how it looks and reads on other Readers.

Very quickly, the story is a fantasy and deals with three girls who find themselves mysteriously transported to another world. If you've enjoyed stories like Bone or Akiko, I think you'll like it.

Edited to add: Thanks, everyone. I think this was enough to prove that it's just fine. Yay for beta testing! It's gone live, so we'll see how the commercial version goes.

Last edited by Von Allan; 08-10-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Beta testing has ended
Von Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
If it looks fine on the PRS-300, it should look fine on larger devices IF the image isn't scaled specifically for the PRS-300. Ideally, this would work on any devices that support epub. (If it displays well on the PRS-600, there's no reason it shouldn't on other 6 inch devices)

I'll look later today. I read manga all the time on my PRS-600, converted to LRF with Calibre, and it's very pleasant.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Von Allan
Writer/Artist guy

Hi,

Each panel was set-up with a resolution of 584 px by 754 px as per the Sony Reader specs (PDF). Hopefully it'll look just on fine on any Sony Reader device, but the only way to know is to test.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

As a result it should work pretty well on any device. Sony's display size is pretty standard, I think.

I'll look at it later, still. I'm eating right now. Very delicious turkey and swiss on a hoagie bun.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I'm going to try it on PRS-900 the next days and be back.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Ok, looks very good on the PRS-900.
One pic per side. As the PRS-900 is a little larger than the 300/600 there is a little space above and below on each side. Page turns are fast, no time left to sleep.

Well done.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Looks good! +1
Old 06-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Von Allan
Writer/Artist guy

Hi SkyDream,

Oh, that's great to hear. I figured there would be a little extra spacing with larger resolution screens, but hopefully that's not too annoying. Thanks a bunch for trying it out!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Von Allan
Writer/Artist guy

Dorino,

Thanks! I was really trying to make it both readable and fast loading.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

I had no troubles with loading times, but I've never had any trouble with that on my 600... :P

Tags
comics, fantasy ebooks, graphic novels, manga