Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #106
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecklpwr View Post
ImportError: No module named prc
Copy prc.py to the same directory (it should be in the original bundle). I actually use a directory just for kindlefixing, rather than downloads. This directory contains the python scripts and you copy the ebook there before running the script.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #107
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks. Tried that and got this

~/downloads christina$ python kindlefix.py Natural-583. prc F#####BY
kindlefix.py:61: FutureWarning: hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive values in Python 2.4 and up
if off1==0xFFFFFFFF or off1==0:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "kindlefix.py", line 2, in ?
import prc, sys, struct
ImportError: No module named prc
Not sure if this is a type or a cut and paste. But, if it is a paste it looks like you have an extra space in your file name.

python kindlefix.py Natural-583. prc F#####BY

should be:

python kindlefix.py Natural-583.prc F#####BY

If there really is a space in the file name use:

python kindlefix.py 'Natural-583. prc' F#####BY

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #108
frecklpwr
frecklpwr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Aargh! This never ends! Thank you so much for your help and patience with me. Yes, there was a space, but I hadn't put the prc.py file in the right directory. So, I made a new directory with the scripts, the prc.py file and the book. I ran the command and finally got the kindleizer going, but now it tells me that my PID is not valid?! It is precisely what the scripts told me it was. Has this happened to anyone else?

~/kfixer christina$ python kindlefix.py Natural-583. prc F######*#Y
kindlefix.py:61: FutureWarning: hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive values in Python 2.4 and up
The Kindleizer v0.1. Copyright (c) 2007 Igor Skochinsky
PID is not valid! (should be in format AAAAAAA*DD)
frecklpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #109
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Aargh! This never ends! Thank you so much for your help and patience with me. Yes, there was a space, but I hadn't put the prc.py file in the right directory. So, I made a new directory with the scripts, the prc.py file and the book. I ran the command and finally got the kindleizer going, but now it tells me that my PID is not valid?! It is precisely what the scripts told me it was. Has this happened to anyone else?

~/kfixer christina$ python kindlefix.py Natural-583. prc F######*#Y
The Kindleizer v0.1. Copyright (c) 2007 Igor Skochinsky
PID is not valid! (should be in format AAAAAAA*DD)
So, are you sure you got the correct PID for your Kindle by cutting and pasting the serial number when using KindlePID? You only have 1 PID in your ebook store?

BOb
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #110
frecklpwr
frecklpwr began at the beginning.

Thanks for all of the help. I have no idea how I did it, but somehow, it has finally worked. I even got some books from my local library loaded on. At first, they wouldn't play on the kindle, then a couple of hours later, they magically did. I think I have it figured out. I was ambitious about getting some old mobi files with DRMs to open, but I think I'll just move forward and call this good.
frecklpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for all of the help. I have no idea how I did it, but somehow, it has finally worked.
Good news. It helps to know what you are doing for the ones that work so you can repeat it.

But, I am thinking, if they were "old" mobi files then they were not encrypted with your Kindle PID. If the mobibook is not encrypted with the Kindle PID specifically running KindleFIX on them will not work.

BOb
Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #112
Teach Overseas
Teach Overseas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile This helped me

After looking through the recent posts I was finally able to get this to work for me.

I have OS X 10.5.6 and I needed to add the word python in the front of my commands as well as add the directory commands

Also I was unclear in the kindlefix until reading here that the kindlefix file and the prc file needed to be in the same folder with the book you were trying to change. Once I figured that out all went well.

Thanks for this! I am very excited about being able to use library books and stuff.

Now to try the next step to fix the title.

Cheers
Teach Overseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #113
dabargainhunta
Kindle Addict
dabargainhunta began at the beginning.

Thank you very much for the visual guides. They made conversion a breeze.

I have a potentially dumb question: Since the DRM is protected on library e-books, what happens after their "checkout time" expires? Do they stop working on the Kindle, self-delete, or what?
dabargainhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #114
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach Overseas View Post
I have OS X 10.5.6 and I needed to add the word python in the front of my commands as well as add the directory commands
Well, of course part of the point of the steps was so that you don't have to put the word python nor specify the location of the scripts. That is why I have you put the shebang into the script and then create a symbolic link into a folder that is in your path.

But, I am glad you've got it working.

BOb
Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #115
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabargainhunta View Post
I have a potentially dumb question: Since the DRM is protected on library e-books, what happens after their "checkout time" expires? Do they stop working on the Kindle, self-delete, or what?
The book will expire and no longer open after the expiration date. It will not self delete. If you renew the book you will need to re-download it and run kindelfix on it and copy the newer file to your Kindle to get the update expire date. Or you can just delete the book. Whichever you prefer.

BOb
Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #116
coolcat1901
coolcat1901 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The book will expire and no longer open after the expiration date. It will not self delete. If you renew the book you will need to re-download it and run kindelfix on it and copy the newer file to your Kindle to get the update expire date. Or you can just delete the book. Whichever you prefer.

BOb
If it doesn't delete then that means it takes up space but is unusable? That seems like they should look into that.
coolcat1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #117
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat1901 View Post
If it doesn't delete then that means it takes up space but is unusable? That seems like they should look into that.
You can delete it. But, it doesn't happen automatically.

BOb
Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #118
dabargainhunta
Kindle Addict
dabargainhunta began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Thanks for the quick reply, Bob.

What exactly happens if I do try to open it after the expiry date? Is there an error message or does it just not open?
dabargainhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #119
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What exactly happens if I do try to open it after the expiry date? Is there an error message or does it just not open?
Yes, I believe it will display a message that the book is expired. I don't know the exact error message... because I have never seen it. Perhaps someone else here that has seen the message can share it.

BOb
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #120
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Bob.

After the book expires, you will get an error message when you try to open it and will need to delete it off your Kindle. However here is a hint: If you have a book about to expire and haven't finished it, it will not expire until you turn on whispernet or connect your Kindle to your computer. So you can actually extend the expiry date.

cheer
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle visual guide, kindlefix, kindlepid, mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi gui