Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Hopkins
Enthusiast
Hopkins began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 3G
Non-ASCII File Names

When I open an edit an epub that has a non-ASCII file name (i.e. 副本保存失敗.epub) I cannot save it. I get the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 3.14.0
ERROR: Could not save: Saving of the book failed. Click "Show details" for more information. You can try to save a copy to a different location, via File->Save a copy

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\save.py", line 199, in process_save
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\save.py", line 211, in do_save
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\save.py", line 74, in save_container
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 487, in atomic_rename
error: (123, 'MoveFileEx', 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.')
I am only able to save a copy using an ASCII name.

Is there an option in the editor to allow using non-ASCII file names?
Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use non-ascii filenames on operating systems other than windows or on utf-8 based windows systems.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Hopkins
Enthusiast

Right, this is a Windows 10 US Version. It supports non-ASCII names in the file manager. I guess I'm assuming it is a UTF-8 based system.

Some users of the Chinese Conversion plugin in the Calibre editor have:
  1. opened their non-ASCII named EPUB files via the "Open book" menu
  2. made changes to the text
  3. attemped to save (or save a copy) of the book using the same non-ASCII title

They are confused when they get an error since the OS supports non-ASCII file names and the editor successfully opened the non-ASCII named file. I'm currently recommending they do a "Save a copy" using a temporary ASCII name and then rename it back to the desired name. It's a bit of a kludge.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Supporting non-ascii filenames does not mean a system is utf-8. Windows has a mess of legacy encodings it uses (google windows code page).
Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This should take care of it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...2f7e27e9cb768f
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Hopkins
Enthusiast

Thanks!