Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
816 is St Joseph KS.
Okay. But I think they were just trying to find a number as close as they could to our own. The fact that – on the same day – my wife and I both got calls from 816-her-number to her phone, 816-my-number to my phone, pretty much insures they were spoofed numbers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay. But I think they were just trying to find a number as close as they could to our own. The fact that – on the same day – my wife and I both got calls from 816-her-number to her phone, 816-my-number to my phone, pretty much insures they were spoofed numbers.
I am 432 and I get a ton of spoofs from 816. Most are we are the Texas police collecting money for injured officers.
I don't know about you but I don't think there are Texas police.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am 432 and I get a ton of spoofs from 816. Most are we are the Texas police collecting money for injured officers.
I don't know about you but I don't think there are Texas police.
But are they "816" and then the last seven digits of your number?

And I'm about 99.99999999999999999999% they're not the police.

But I think we've (actually, I've) gotten way off topic here, probably should let the original question take over again.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
But are they "816" and then the last seven digits of your number?

And I'm about 99.99999999999999999999% they're not the police.

But I think we've (actually, I've) gotten way off topic here, probably should let the original question take over again.
Yes, I have seen that. And yes we have ventured off.
So yes or no on the Android, ?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:58 AM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, I have seen that. And yes we have ventured off.
So yes or no on the Android, ?
I'm not a big Android tablet fan either. My cheapo Amazon Fire 7 is all I need or want. I've got a Bluetooth keyboard for it and an OTG cable so I can connect my Alphasmart Neo to it (either to download files or type on the tablet itself) but I haven't used either much.
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 AM   #36
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
My wife ignores them (doesn't answer them, they're hard to ignore) also but, since she's a business, she seems to be on a LOT of these lists and (at times) she can get five or six of these calls an hour. As far as I can tell every other smartphone has the capability to block these calls, except iPhones. What I don't know is why Apple refuses to fix this. I sincerely doubt that she would have gotten an iPhone had she known this in advance.
Why doesn't Apple fix it? Because Apple sees it as a feature, not as a bug.

Solution: Use anything else but an iPhone. Should be doable, because they are all cheaper. Or does the business depend on having an iPhone?

Last edited by mobama; 01-04-2018 at 02:27 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I'm not a big Android tablet fan either. My cheapo Amazon Fire 7 is all I need or want...
But then your cheapo Fire tablet is essentially an Android tablet. Just with a less nice app store (IMHO).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #38
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
When I say "spoof calls" I'm talking about numbers that can actually be a real number. Most of the ones we get now use a 417 exchange, which is what Verizon uses in my area. In some cases, they are actual phone numbers, not of the scam caller, but of someone with a Verizon phone.

That is what makes them impossible and or not wise to block. The scammers use a number that starts with the same 6 numbers as the number they are calling. So it looks like a local call.
On my current Motorola phone and my previous Samsung S5, I'm using the app called "Hiya". It's a call screener app it refers to a database of known spam numbers (to which you can report, if a new one appears), allows one to set various rules on what phones to answer. I've set mine, to send a message to any unknown caller to leave a message. At the end of the day or week, I review the recent calls and decide which ones to physically block.

It doesn't slow the phone down any that I can tell.

There are other apps besides "Hiya" and I bet there is something similar for the iphones. But this is the one that suits me.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #39
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I have a Lenovo A10 70 and my wife has the equivalent 8" tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'll second the Lenovo Tab2 A10-70. It's a great tablet at a fair price. Though Lenovo replaced it with newer ones that are cheaper: the Tab3 Plus and the Tab4 Plus. All three have almost exactly the same specs. Not sure why the Tab2 sells for more than the Tab3 or 4.
I'll echo these two folks on the Lenovo love. I would recommend the Tab 3 10 Plus over the Tab 4 10 Plus unless you need mobile data. The Tab 3 Plus has the same screen and the fact that it runs Android Marshmallow as opposed to Android Nougat doesn't make much difference when reading is the focus.

If you encounter a Tab 2 A10 in the used marketplace, be very careful about the model #. A Tab 2 A10-70F, like mine, is a far superior beast to a Tab 2 A10-30.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
If you encounter a Tab 2 A10 in the used marketplace, be very careful about the model #. A Tab 2 A10-70F, like mine, is a far superior beast to a Tab 2 A10-30.
Yeah, Lenovo makes great tablets and sells them fairly cheap. But then they confusingly make similarly named tablets that aren't as nice. I guess they're trying to rectify that with the 'Plus' for the Tab3 Plus and Tab4 Plus.

I appreciate that Lenovo rolls out a fairly vanilla version of Android. The Samsung Tab S2 and Tab S3 mentioned upthread are very nice tablets, but Samsung hacked Android to where the thing feels like a shameless iPad ripoff. When I first encountered one in a store, I thought 'No wonder Apple sued them.'

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-04-2018 at 02:12 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Why doesn't Apple fix it? Because Apple sees it as a feature, not as a bug.
How can the lack of the ability to block nuisance calls be construed in any way, shape or form as a "feature?" How would they sell this "feature?"

"Never miss another obnoxious call from a spoofed or unlisted or private number! Never worry about blocking unwanted sales calls again because we WON'T LET YOU decide for yourself! Wowsers! How cool is that?!"

Come on, get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Solution: Use anything else but an iPhone. Should be doable, because they are all cheaper. Or does the business depend on having an iPhone?
That would be *a* solution but, not knowing about this Apple stupidity, my wife signed up for a 2 year contract. But we might pay it off, sell the iPhone to some poor, unsuspecting sucker who actually likes being controlled, and get an Android phone that doesn't come with the vaunted "We know better and won't let you control your OWN phone" (so-called) "feature."

Sorry, but there is NO good reason for Apple to do this. Either they're incompetent or they just don't care about their customers.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-04-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But then your cheapo Fire tablet is essentially an Android tablet. Just with a less nice app store (IMHO).
I understand. What I mean is I'm not the guy to come to when trying to get advice for a high-end Android tablet (I don't care enough to get something more expensive than a $30 – on sale – Fire tablet). I think the OP was interested in something comparable to an iPad Mini.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #43
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have the Samsung Nook Tab A and little storage and I have issues even with sd card. I had to delete most of my apps for it to run right. I wish i forked out more $$ for the S2

I owned an iPad and some high end Androids as well as fire tablets and even tho ipad has the best build and runs the smoothest I still prefer android. You can do more customization on apps, home screens, walpapers, expandable storage. I suprisingly really like the AZUS ZenPad. I swear videos look so true life its unreal. Just so much better than my ipad.

Last edited by HLS; 01-04-2018 at 09:35 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #44
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I live in 816 area code and I am downtown Kansas City, Missouri.A good hours Drive from St Jo So I do not see how it can also be 816
Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #45
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
816 is St Joseph KS.

St Joseph is in Missouri not in KS LOL

816 is the Kansas City Missouri Area not used in KS. 913 is Kansas City Kansas and surrounding areas. I live on the Kansas and Missouri Border and lived in both area codes