Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Does Anyone Have a 12 inch?

(If the title is too provocative, feel free to change it!)

I mean computer screens. Since having problems with the keyboard of my 14" laptop, I've been considering various options. I'm using an external keyboard to type this, and have a mechanical one on order, if Amazon ever have it in stock! But that's another moan.

I've had my eye on a 15" Thinkpad which will set me back around £600! I've also been considering a smaller dedicated writing laptop. I already have two Alphasmart Neos, but really want something I can put programs like Scrivener etc onto.

Last night I found a Lenovo X200 with 12" screen on ebay for only £74. It looked in gorgeous condition. I combed the specs, compared it to similar offers and it's either too good to be true or a rare bargain. So I've bought it.

I'm now wondering just what a 12" screen is like. Will it be compact enough to be worth the difference re my 14"? Or will it be so small that there won't be enough screen real estate to see programs like Scrivener and Co?

Does anyone have any experience with 12" computer screens? If so, I'd love to hear about it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Does anyone have any experience with 12" computer screens? If so, I'd love to hear about it.
I use a 12" monitor on my ancient Latitude D400, but it's the older, "squarish" type monitor – so it will have larger fonts than the WXGA monitor of the X200. I still think it will be usable, however. My brother has a 11.6" Chromebook and he seems to get along with it fine.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have a Surface Pro 3 with a 12'' screen which I often use as a second laptop (my main laptop has a 15,6'' screen). No problems with using desktop programs, though I have never used Scrivener. And I have the display enlarged 120%, fonts and all, as I'm unable to read tiny text.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
No. Unfortunately.

Since the OP's post is in the Writers' Forum, then I'm presuming that we're talking about 12 inches for writing purposes, as opposed to normal, regular reading habits.

For me, the question would be this:

Should I write on a computer laptop or on a 12-inch (or larger?) tablet?

I haven't had the luxury (or hell?) of writing on a tablet, but I'm immensely curious about doing so. The 'twelve-incher' could then be used secondarily as a reader; whereas, on my MacBook Pro, I prefer not to use it as a reader.

----------------------ATTITUDE BREAK----------------------

I can see going to a coffee emporium, sitting down with my cappuccino, eyeing the wondrous Fat Food there, taking one last look at fat and thin patrons*, taking out my tablet, keyboard, propping device, moving a newspaper to the side, adjusting my clothes ['man-speak'], taking a slowww sip from my drink, looking heavenward at the wondrous duct-work before getting down to writing.

^ Is that how it works?

* = Not that there's anything wrong with being fat, thin, evaporated, skinny, obese, round, or emaciated.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-19-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
In terms of screen size on a conventional laptop layout, I used an Acer Netbook with a 10 inch screen every day for 6 years until the hardware finally started getting cranky. Never a problem with the screen.

I currently do much of my writing on a Lenovo chromebook with an 11 inch screen. Still no problems.

My caution would be to consider the keyboard. The Acer had a great "typewriter" style keyboard that was a pleasure to use. The Lenovo has a flatter keyboard, more typical of inexpensive laptops. I occasionally discover that a key I pressed didn't register, so I rely more heavily on spellcheck. And I find myself looking forward to firing up the desktop computer in the evening.

But, no -- the smaller screen size isn't a concern for me.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
My wife likes her Surface Pro 3 tablet quite a lot and hasn't had any issues with it.
She has the Surface Pro 4 type cover with it, which has a nicer feel to the keys than the SP3 cover.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I have an X201 Thinkpad that I'm using right now. I like the form factor, and it has a great keyboard for writing. I set the web pages to magnify large enough to comfortably read text, and do the same with my word processor software, setting it to 125 magnification. The screen resolution is not great on this older Thinkpad, but overall happy with it.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The X200 was not a tablet, although Lenovo did make hybrid versions. I'm fairly sure that the one I've bought is a laptop, not a hybrid. As I said in the first post, I'll use this as a dedicated writing machine, only installing my favourite writing programs on it. It apparently has Windows 7 on it, which I hope is legit, but at that price I can't help being suspicious. I have 30 days to send it back if I don't like it.

Dr Drib, I've never liked the idea of tablets (computers not medicine!) either, and like a comfortable keyboard.

Cromag: the X200 is from 2008 and has a traditional Thinkpad keyboard, rather than the chiclet keys they now use. This was one reason I was drawn to it; plus the price and 250gb hard drive. Most of the "netbooks" I looked at had tiny hard drives and many were android; I wanted Windows so that I could put my favourite programs on it.

It's interesting to hear about the font size. I'll try to change that somehow. As far as age and possible resolution goes, it's probably around the same age as my current main laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad L420, which I know is getting on a bit, but Thinkpads seem built to last (famous last words!).

rcento: What does your brother use his Chromebook for? I've never understood Chromebooks, aren't they entirely web based? I saw a few of them on ebay, but passed/past (I always get those confused) them by because I don't know what they are, whereas I'm used to Windows.

Conan: Thanks for the information. Who needs great resolution apart from those whose primary use is graphics or gaming? For writing we just need to see the words.

This little lappy is already costing me more money. It has no optical drive and I have a version of Word (2002) on the Works Suite disc. So I've purchased an external optical drive. Also, I thought a thumb drive would be helpful for transfering information between computers, like my Scrivener projects etc, so I've bought one of those. It never ends. Oh well, it's Christmas, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:56 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
In terms of screen size on a conventional laptop layout, I used an Acer Netbook with a 10 inch screen every day for 6 years until the hardware finally started getting cranky. Never a problem with the screen.

I currently do much of my writing on a Lenovo chromebook with an 11 inch screen. Still no problems.

My caution would be to consider the keyboard. The Acer had a great "typewriter" style keyboard that was a pleasure to use. The Lenovo has a flatter keyboard, more typical of inexpensive laptops. I occasionally discover that a key I pressed didn't register, so I rely more heavily on spellcheck. And I find myself looking forward to firing up the desktop computer in the evening.

But, no -- the smaller screen size isn't a concern for me.
I have a HP Mini with a 10" screen and it works great. I bought it 2nd hand as a Wal-Mart refurb and aside from the HDD dying I haven't had any problems with it. I did have to get a new (used) HDD and a new copy of the OS (I prefer Win7) but it was easy to fix it myself when it needed it. Only problem I had was my desktop went down after that and I had to use my Kindle Fire to download the modem driver. I then connected to my netbook via the cable for my KF and viola! I had the driver that I needed to get the modem working. A 10" screen is plenty big enough to write, surf the net, watch movies, etc.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
My first laptop was a 12" iBook. Nowadays, it would be considered heavy and clunky but I got more done on that little chap that any laptop or desktop since. He easily fit in my handbag I took to work (and everywhere else).

I wrote every day on Bob (his name was Bob) and the only modification I made to make it more comfortable to type was to add little semi-circular blobs held on with velcro (which everyone in my office referred to as the "lumpy feet"). I think they were really called "speed balls" (of all things) and they were superb. When I took them off the laptop, I pushed them together to make a little sphere which happily lived in my bag until needed again. I wish they were still available.

The only program I ever used on Bob was Word, though. Although it had other programs & capabilities, I can't recall even using a browser or anything else.

I miss Bob.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Just got a 12" X220. Very nice. Perfect balance of portability and screen size and lightness. And the keyboard is full-size. I got it with SSD storage.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
jdcarpe
jdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watchjdcarpe is clearly one to watch

Device: K2, K3, PW3, KT3, PW3-32, PRS-650, NST, KA1
I’m sure you will enjoy your Thinkpad, but...

As a writer, have you heard of the Freewrite? It has a mechanical keyboard, an E-Ink screen, and saves your work to both the device and “the cloud.” It’s like a modern take on an old school word processor, without all the distractions of a modern PC/tablet. Sure, it’s a bit hipster, and somewhat pricey, but it’s something to consider, in any case.

www.getfreewrite.com

And no, I don’t get commission from Astrohaus or anything. I just like the idea of it, and it seems to be a high quality product. Been following their progress since it was only an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdcarpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #13
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
On both of my Thinkpads I use Softmaker Office:
http://www.softmaker.com/en/
It works for Linux or Windows. Started using it over the summer it is now my preferred office software. Less expensive than MS Office and yet handles MS file formats well. I like it better than LibreOffice.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcarpe View Post
As a writer, have you heard of the Freewrite?
The fact that this device has no arrow keys and no way to move around in your document to edit (besides a backspace key) makes it a total non-starter for me – even if the Freewrite was affordable that would kill it for me.

The AlphaSmart Neo, on the other hand, has block delete, copy, cut, paste and all the editing keys needed. And they cost about $20 shipped.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J

skb: I'm glad not to be the only person who names typewriters and lappys! Bob sounds great. What happened to him?

jdcarpe: I agree with what rcentos said. Thanks for the recommendation, but the Freewrite needs to change a little before it will be more useful. I have two alphasmart neos and belong to the Flickr group where there's been heated debate about the Freewrite vs Alphasmart. No one likes the absence of arrow keys nor that you can't delete any of the files in the cloud.

Conan: thanks for the link, I'll take a closer look at it. I'm hoping to put a copy of Word onto it from an old Works Suite disc. I've had to purchase an external optical drive for this because the laptop doesn't have one.

Crich: if your 10" one is big enough to write on, that gives me more reassurance for my 12". I just hope it's not going to have any other problems, like none working keys; but I can send it back within 30 days. It should arrive just after Christmas.

Tags
computer screen size, does size matter, writing computer