Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why are some threads stickied and some discriminated against?
Discrimination is rather a silly word on this context, unless you're using it in the sense of the criteria used to choose which threads are stuck, but that's not my sense of your post.

As I said in the thread to which Brian linked, too many stickies are like having none at all. Except it's even worse, because inactive stickies push down active threads that haven't been stuck. At its height, there were 18 stickies in the Deals forum; I bet most couldn't begin to name the ten that are gone. Heck, I'm not sure I could and I'm the one who made the cuts.

The criteria were admittedly a little squishy, but they included popularity, number of participants, utility and relevance.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm coming around to the view that active threads should not be stickied.

Would there be an outcry if MobileRead made such a change? Active threads naturally sort to the top of the list. It's only important-but-rarely-changed-threads that need to be stickied, IMO.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Would there be an outcry if MobileRead made such a change? Active threads naturally sort to the top of the list. It's only important-but-rarely-changed-threads that need to be stickied, IMO.
I agree. Two of the stickied threads were started by me and I wouldn't object if they were un-stickied.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

That's how I'm used to things being done elsewhere. The only things that get stickied in those places are FAQ, "important information" or rules type threads (like "IMPORTANT: Affiliate links are now prohibited at MobileRead"). Regular active threads sink or swim on their own participation/usage.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Discrimination is rather a silly word on this context, unless you're using it in the sense of the criteria used to choose which threads are stuck, but that's not my sense of your post.
Yes, it is used in the sense of the criteria used to choose which threads are sticked and which are not. There's no reason that some should be stickied and some not. It should be all or nothing.

Quote:
As I said in the thread to which Brian linked, too many stickies are like having none at all. Except it's even worse, because inactive stickies push down active threads that haven't been stuck. At its height, there were 18 stickies in the Deals forum; I bet most couldn't begin to name the ten that are gone. Heck, I'm not sure I could and I'm the one who made the cuts.
As has been said before, a thread should be stickied if it is of some important information that should be easily found or threads that should be found that are not all that active because the active threads will be moved to the top. So the criteria of sticking because they are active is incorrect. The FREE/BARGAIN that should be stickied should be the ones that are not as active. If that doesn;t work for you, then create a thread with a list of links to the various threads and sticky that and let the rest be unstickied.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I have a solution to this problem. Unstick all the FREE/BARGAIN threads and create a new thread that has a ToC to all the other threads. That can be stickied and updated as needed.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If it is inactive, which is the sense of stick it? Please, an example where this makes sense, as bargains are usually short-lived.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
In addition to stickies for important basic information, I suggest that there be temporary stickies for Black Friday and Amazon Prime Day, since those are major shopping events.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Seasonal temporary stickies seem perfectly reasonable to me. As does a stickied TOC/index of all bargain threads.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
In addition to stickies for important basic information, I suggest that there be temporary stickies for Black Friday and Amazon Prime Day, since those are major shopping events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Seasonal temporary stickies seem perfectly reasonable to me. As does a stickied TOC/index of all bargain threads.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-14-2017 at 11:43 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think those are two very good ideas. I'm all for it.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If it is inactive, which is the sense of stick it? Please, an example where this makes sense, as bargains are usually short-lived.
The kindle developers forum have a few that are needed but rarely contributed to. They are the help threads.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #28
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The kindle developers forum have a few that are needed but rarely contributed to. They are the help threads.
Development, I understand. Bargains, not so much.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #29
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I wish we could have stickies for a few topics that recur frequently, often started by new members who apparently haven't read past the first page or two of the forum and think they've come up with an exciting new idea for discussion (for example, "paper books vs electronic books")
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

Since not many people seem to be concerned about this, I think we'll probably leave things as they are for now.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote