Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Canapin
Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD
Arrow Best way to read a comic/manga?

Hi.

I'm actually trying to optimize my mangas in purpose to read them on my odyssey HD.

I tried several formats :

Single directory with pictures (768*1024 16 colors grayscale 8 bits png, white margins removed) :
That's great. The pictures are in full screen, however you can't see any page number. Plus, if you want to go to the next or previous image with the touch screen, you have to slide your finger. You can't just press your finger on the left or on the right part of the screen as you do on a regular text book. And you also can't go directly to the page number X.

PDF : That's kind of weird, but making a pdf from my images make the pdf almost twice the images size (from 40 to 70 MB, for example).
I also didn't figure out how to have my pictures on full screen. There is always a little top and bottom margin (like, 5 mm wide)

ePub : same size issue than the PDF way : the size of each image is considerabely increased.
And even if I remove the title, the pagination, the image is very small and it has huuuuge margins.

I really would like to have a real full screen AND a pagination (and navigation with pressing the finger on the touch screen instead of sliding it).

Do you know if I can achieve this?

Thank you for your help (and sorry about my bad english)!
Canapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
maybe a stupid question but why do you want to read comics on an Ereader? Those things can handle normal books, at best. It's slower than a tablet, the screen is ridiculously small for reading comics, and E-ink sucks for anything besides Ebooks. Not to mention the crappy pdf-support and even crappier zoom options...
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Properly converted PDF and ePUB shouldn't be much larger than the pictures alone. It should be possible to create a PDF with no margins at all (but if the aspect ratio is not the same as the screen, you'll see some margin, of coures). With ePub it needs more fiddling, but by adding "@page { margin: 0 }" to the CSS you can probably remove some of it (the rest through standard CSS margins). Wrapping each image in SVG may give you more control with scaling.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Canapin
Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Canapin , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
maybe a stupid question but why do you want to read comics on an Ereader? Those things can handle normal books, at best. It's slower than a tablet, the screen is ridiculously small for reading comics, and E-ink sucks for anything besides Ebooks. Not to mention the crappy pdf-support and even crappier zoom options...
I know e-readers aren't the best way to read comics, because actually there are no best way (I mean, other than physical books).
So, I want to (and I do) read my comics on my odyssey HD for the same reason I read books on it : it doesn't take much space on my house.
I'm keeping using it, waiting for an manga specialized e-reader. I guess there should be some in a few years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Properly converted PDF and ePUB shouldn't be much larger than the pictures alone. It should be possible to create a PDF with no margins at all (but if the aspect ratio is not the same as the screen, you'll see some margin, of coures). With ePub it needs more fiddling, but by adding "@page { margin: 0 }" to the CSS you can probably remove some of it (the rest through standard CSS margins). Wrapping each image in SVG may give you more control with scaling.
I tried to convert my pictures to PDF with Image2PDF, but this software is crap : almost no available PDF options.
I also tried with Calibre, but I didn't find how I can check margins or page ratio on the PDF configuration. Maybe I missed something?

About the image size that increases a lot, it seems the conversion converts them from 8 bits to 32 bits, but I could be wrong, I should verify this.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canapin View Post
I'm keeping using it, waiting for an manga specialized e-reader. I guess there should be some in a few years...
There already is, it's called a TABLET
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Canapin

Tablets are less comfortable for my eyes, I already work with a computer screen almost all day. Plus, they are more expensive and have short battery life.

But that's not really the point of this thread...

Last edited by Canapin; 12-15-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Unfortunately from my experience with reading manga on ereading devices it seems like there is no "best" way to read/ or put comics/manga on ereaders it comes down to what your own preferences towards reading it is. When asking questions like this people tend to send you down several different directions each with their own ups and downs when it comes to this.
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Quote:

But that's not really the point of this thread...
I know, but it's like you are asking advice on how to eat soup with a fork...
Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Canapin

You're absolutely right
But for now, I have only a fork to eat my soup, so I'd better find a way to optimize my fork
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
You're absolutely right
But for now, I have only a fork to eat my soup, so I'd better find a way to optimize my fork
You could always return your fork for a spoon (we hope)...
https://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-...pecifications/

Quote:
Supported comic formats: CBZ, CBR, CB7
Just need to create the correct archives then.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 12-31-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
dc77
dc77 began at the beginning.

Device: Odyssey HD
Hello,

I also have an Odyssey HD and I convert mangas using the software MangaAI from bitcake.com . I choose the device "Kindle Paperwhite" (same screen ^^) and runt he conversion. I get a PDF with no margin, the image are fited/cut to exact resolution of 1024*758. On the Odyssey, in the menu of PDF reading, you choose "no page number band" and "fit to screen" and normally, you are now reading your manga full screen and the Odyssey remembers the current page of course as it is a simp PDF.

You can have a 30days-trial for the software, but at $10, I just bought it ^^

The mangas get converted with better contrast, so you like it or not, but you can configure how the software performs the conversion. You can also specify for example the reading direction of your manga, if you want to generate PDF or not, if you want contrast post-processing or not and if you want landscape double-pages to be split etc.

I am very satisfied with the conversion so far. But if you find better, let us know.

Hope it helps.
dc77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic book, comic books, manga, mangas, odyssey