Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
aglick
Enthusiast
aglick began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Airplane Mode Keeps Enabling Itself

Hey everyone. I'm having issues with my eDGe. Everytime I close or turn it off, the airplane mode keeps enabling itself, forcing me to go to settings to turn it off every time I turn on my eDGe. While this is not causing any harm to my system, it has become quite bothersome. What can I do to prevent this from continuing to happen?
aglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
OOOOOOOHHH, maybe it is a forshadowing of a coming trip it wants to be ready for.

Sorry, I'm no help! That would become bothersome. Did it start after you installed an app by chance. Maybe something thinks it needs to call home for something.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
aglick
Enthusiast

i'm not sure. but it is a real pain in the ass. the only apps i downloaded recently were a battery widget and an easy appremover.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Some Apps can prevent the PE from sleeping, I would check the permissions of the Apps you have installed to be sure that isn't the problem.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
aglick
Enthusiast

how do I do that?
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications. Click on the app and scroll down to 'Permissions'.

I just checked a few of mine and a few of them do 'prevent eDGe from sleeping'.

Last edited by DianNC; 09-23-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Additional info.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Just a guess but if the battery app has a feature to preserve battery life, it could be putting it in airplane mode.
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglick View Post
Hey everyone. I'm having issues with my eDGe. Everytime I close or turn it off, the airplane mode keeps enabling itself, forcing me to go to settings to turn it off every time I turn on my eDGe. While this is not causing any harm to my system, it has become quite bothersome. What can I do to prevent this from continuing to happen?
Do you have Pandora installed? If so, in the bluetooth thread uninstallingg Pandora solved their issue with bluetooth.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
in the bluetooth thread uninstallingg Pandora solved their issue with bluetooth.
That's too generalized - only a particular version caused a problem, but swiping left-to-right or right-to-left - who cares, right (or left)?
In any case, nobody reported airplane taking off and never happened in my testing.
But they might try for the sake of it.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd probably just try uninstalling the apps that show they 'prevent the Edge from sleeping' one at a time to see if one is possibly the culprit.

None of mine that even say they might actually do prevent it.

However, I do keep it on airplane mode when I'm not using wifi (someone suggested it might help with battery usage).
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
However, I do keep it on airplane mode when I'm not using wifi (someone suggested it might help with battery usage).
I suggest you stop doing that: there are precisely two usages for airplane mode:
- if you have Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth running airplane shuts them down;
- you can show it to flight attendant.
But
- you can accomplish that by just turning them off;
- they don't care and insist to turn the device off anyway.

Last edited by ptsenter; 09-23-2011 at 07:05 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
DianNC
Banned

Good to know! I've been really happy with the battery on this little thing. I'll stop enabling the 'airplane mode' when I'm just reading and see if I notice a difference.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
kenmilton3
kenmilton3 began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
My device also changed to airplane mode when I shut it down, but that went away when I upgraded to ermine.
kenmilton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
aglick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmilton3 View Post
My device also changed to airplane mode when I shut it down, but that went away when I upgraded to ermine.
I've upgraded mine already. I even did a factory reset and the airplane mode still turns on whenever I turn off my eDGe.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
aglick
Enthusiast

Hey all! I found out what was causing my problem...it was so simple! I started this post 7 months ago and I only just now found out what the problem was: that button at the top of the eDGe was switched left or to the "off" position which automatically turns on the airplane mode of your eDGe. When I flipped it right (to the "on" position) my problem was fixed; it was never an issue with any apps or anything of that nature. I just thought I would share my story to help anyone else who was curious.