Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
The Hunger Games

Am I the only one that found this series (save for book 2) one of the worst set of books (other than twilight) that became super popular in the past few years?

After reading Battle Royale...I found Hunger Games a complete rip-off, just changed a few things here and there. Suzanne Collins to me couldn't write action of she was given a knife and a wet paper bag to hack through.

I understand that it's not about "kids killing kids", and when she wasn't writing action, and writing dialogue, she did a good job...which was why I think I loved book 2.

But wow....I was so underwhelmed that I think the movie might actually be better than the book on this one. They will portray the action much much better on screen than her written words.

And don't get me started on book 3....wow...save for the ending, one of the worst things I've read....but again, it was all action.

So after reading some reviews I'm in the minority about book 2 being worse than Hunger Games and Mockingjay, but at least that held my interest.

What were your thoughts on the books? I tried to be vague because of spoilers for those that want to see it and have not read it when it comes out.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've never read it, the description of the books just didn't catch my interest. At all. I've heard (and seen / read a bit) of Battle Royale but it's just not my cup of tea. The Horror/Survival genre has better things to offer, no?

I loved her Underland Chronicles though.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I honestly wouldnt consider this coming close to horror lol
Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I haven't read the series, nor am I likely to.
I understand it's labelled as a young adult book. Is that correct? (I know it is here in Sweden.)
Maybe that's something to keep in mind when reading it.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I think you do need to remember who the 2 books are aimed for. I enjoyed both of them in different ways.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I enjoyed the series quite a lot. Sure, there's more than a whiff of Battle Royale to it, but so what? If I were to limit myself to reading only books which are 100% original and unique I'd be reading maybe 2 days every year.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I think you do need to remember who the 2 books are aimed for. I enjoyed both of them in different ways.
I'm actually perfectly okay with these being a young adult books. I do enjoy young adult books quite a lot. Which is why I went into this thinking that I would find it quite enjoyable. I'm just confused as to why they are so popular and they say that these are incredibly original when they are obviously not.

I dunno. I was severely let down by the books.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If it helps; Collins never really intended for this to be a series. I wish I could locate a link to the interview I once read, where she was honest enough to admit that the second two books were only written because her publisher flashed her a boatload of cash to do so. My personal experience reading them certainly lends support to that idea. I thought the first book was pretty good (but certainly not great) and the last two became steadily worse. I have no problems recommending the first book... but I would encourage stopping there and moving on to something else. That's just me though.

(And yes... reading Battle Royale first can take a bit of wind out of The Hunger Games' sails.)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If it helps; Collins never really intended for this to be a series. I wish I could locate a link to the interview I once read, where she was honest enough to admit that the second two books were only written because her publisher flashed her a boatload of cash to do so.
That explains a lot. I wondered about the steadily declining quality.
tch65721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I never read Battle Royale, but I have seen the movie. I enjoyed The Hunger Games book 1 and 2 was ok but not as good as the first one. I thought the third book was the worst of the three and almost felt like she wrote it to become a movie. I want to see the movie simply because it looks good.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
...she was honest enough to admit that the second two books were only written because her publisher flashed her a boatload of cash to do so.
Interesting. I've always thought I'd have preferred the three books written by Collins as one long book (it would still have been well under 1,000 pages).

Koushun Takami's Battle Royale was around the same length as all 3 of Collins' books combined as I recall -- but he probably wasn't offered the same lucrative deal back then.

I like longish books, though, so others' mileage may vary on this point.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Koushun Takami's Battle Royale is now on my to read list
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
If it helps; Collins never really intended for this to be a series. I wish I could locate a link to the interview I once read, where she was honest enough to admit that the second two books were only written because her publisher flashed her a boatload of cash to do so. My personal experience reading them certainly lends support to that idea. I thought the first book was pretty good (but certainly not great) and the last two became steadily worse. I have no problems recommending the first book... but I would encourage stopping there and moving on to something else. That's just me though.

(And yes... reading Battle Royale first can take a bit of wind out of The Hunger Games' sails.)

That makes alot of since. But I'll be honest, I would recommend book 2 over book 1. But maybe that's because I liked the political intrigue that came with it. You can't read book 2 without book 1 however. And book 3 was just abysmal...I loved the ending, don't get me wrong....but the whole damn thing was like I was playing a video game...and a BAD one at that.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I read book 1 because the movie looks like a bit of fun and I always like to read the book first. I thought it was ok but not fantastic. Was going to go onto books 2 and 3 just because I'm a tad obsessive about seeing how things end but after reading this thread I think I'll skip them and go read Battle Royale instead.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
the-golden-ones
the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I never read Battle Royale, but I have seen the movie. I enjoyed The Hunger Games book 1 and 2 was ok but not as good as the first one. I thought the third book was the worst of the three and almost felt like she wrote it to become a movie. I want to see the movie simply because it looks good.
Same here. I have seen the battle royale movie and would like to read the book. I really liked the hunger games book one. Book two wasn't bad, though not as good as the first, but book three was just weird.
However, i'm really looking forward to seeing the movie this month.
the-golden-ones is offline   Reply With Quote