Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
My 650 is dying--What are my options?

My 650 has recently developed a bug where it won't shut down properly, keeps trying to shut down when I didn't ask it to (and then doesn't shut down properly!) and drains a full battery charge in a day even when 'off' or in sleep mode.

The problem is common and has been asked about quite a lot on these forums. There is no solution. It's 14 months old, so out of warranty. I have an expensive dud. Shame, because I loved it. Oh, well. I've learned my lesson. Don't spend more for quality *cough*

So my question is, what do I do? Can I trade it in at the Sony store for a rebate on a T1?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
No harm trying - and the F1's a great piece of kit.

Although you may find the odd 650 in Amaz/ebay world - make sure you know what you're getting though, some sellers are ....creative... with their descriptions....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply.

Some good news. I removed the SD card and turned off a few PRS+ options and the battery has stopped draining. So at least it's usable, even though the on/off is busted. I may just be able to use sleep mode forever and never turn it off. Auto sleep mode upsets it, but doing it manually appears to work. I'll have to see.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
No harm trying - and the F1's a great piece of kit.

Although you may find the odd 650 in Amaz/ebay world - make sure you know what you're getting though, some sellers are ....creative... with their descriptions....
You mean T1, not F1 I take it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I don't turn mine off, except to reboot for PRS+ updates.

But if you want to give up on it, I will pay shipping to my house.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
This thread makes me sad... My 650 is about 13 months old, I don't want it to fail me!

But yeah, I never turn mine off. Sleep mode forever should not hurt it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

It seems to be stabilizing. I wonder if there was a fault with the SD card. Other people have had this problem, and for many it has gone away with a soft / hard / factory reset. I have found the 650 a bit flaky sometimes. I've put it down to bad epubs, though quite why a book, once deleted, should continue to upset the reader is beyond me. The OS should reset and clean itself out on reboot. I think problems generally occur because of font setting in epubs.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired

FYI the problem seems to be permanent. The reader works fine, but trying to put it into sleep mode generally makes it ask if it wants to shut down. When I shut it down, it appears to shut down but doesn't. It comes on by itself and battery power has been used.

So basically it seems to be a problem with shut-down and sleep-mode. I do appear to have stopped the battery drain. The key element here was removing the SD-card. Saying that, I'm not sure that has solved the battery issue, but it currently seems stable.

So in summary, the reader is usable, but is left on. I saw someone on these boards with exactly the same problem, and it may go back to the 505's. If I find the link I'll post it.

Pretty poor IMO. I spent $400 on this device after the case and taxes. Now I will have to pay to get it repaired after 14 months of use. This has certainly changed my attitude towards Sony and e-readers in general. Bottom line: Go cheap because $$$ doesn't get you reliability. Also, I will not be buying another case that fits only one reader. In future, if my reader breaks, at least I'll be able to re-use the case.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Case:
I personally wouldn't ever buy a special case for any reader. The reader costs, say 130,- the case 50,-? The price-reality seems a bit distorted in my taste...
And for the next reader you have to buy annother case.

External card:
I would not use an external memory card in any case. Additional hardware - additional power consumtion. Even with a 100% working ereader.

Your problem with the reader:
Have you tried a complete factory reset?
Annother thing I would try is to make a comlete reflash of the firmware to sort out software-possibilities.
If after removing memory card, factory reset and reflashing firmware the problem persits, you could be sure it's hardware related. That would be bad luck.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Rizla... have you actually tried contacting Sony about his problem... they do actually respond to out-of-warranty problems sometimes... and even replace things if you can convince them it's a "known" problem since manufacture... worth a try...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired

Thanks for the replies. I have spoken to sony. I will have to pay to get it repaired. I don't know how much.

Basically I suspect there's is a problem with the power switch. I may have to open it up.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My 350 was shutting down on me and I used canned air on the switch/screen. Seems ok now.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You mean T1, not F1 I take it.
Duh.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My 350 was shutting down on me and I used canned air on the switch/screen. Seems ok now.
Helen
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
readergirl218
Enthusiast
readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 (white), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
My 650 has recently developed a bug where it won't shut down properly, keeps trying to shut down when I didn't ask it to (and then doesn't shut down properly!) and drains a full battery charge in a day even when 'off' or in sleep mode.
I had the same problem with my prs-650. I think it started after I added a SD card to my reader.

My device would turn on or off while sitting on my nightstand, device buttons did not work properly, battery would drain overnight. I removed the SD card, did MULTIPLE soft resets, MULTIPLE hard resets and MULTIPLE reformats.

My prs-650 came back to life!
readergirl218 is offline   Reply With Quote