Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
regz
regz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I wrote a program to convert manga/comics for Kindle/e-ink devices.

I recently got a Kindle and I also have a small manga collection, so of course I tried to read some manga on my Kindle. The experience was pretty lousy, so I tried using Calibre to convert to MOBI or PDF first and Mangle to resize my images but found those solutions unsatisfying.

Ultimately I wrote my own frontend to ImageMagick to convert my manga scans to a Kindle suitable layout. I'm going to post some screenshots to see what people think. Soon I'll release the application as it still needs some polishing.

This is the startup screen which is just used to add and sort scans/pages.

This is the heart of the program where you define the page layout and image filtering. You can preview any changes before exporting. It might look confusing but most things are set to a sane default and you can always preview to see the impact.

This is the preview window which shows the preview in a device-screen sized area. Use the 4-way to pan across the image.

The main feature in my app that I don't think others have is 'Render Pan' which makes reading on the Kindle much easier for me. I like to read in landscape mode and it makes using nudge shortcut difficult. (When it works at all.) Using render pan produces an image like the following such that when you pan a screen's width or height you get the appearance of a only moving a smaller amount. Since the sections overlap, you never end up with a word bubble half on one screen and half on the next. Imagine reading by seeing the red then green then blue highlighted section. You'd get the illusion of panning in 3 even amounts down the image.

I don't really know if this is the best site or forum to annouce my app. I'm not really a forum guy and don't know anywhere better. Let me know if you have any thoughts and I'll try to release something you can play with soon.
regz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I'll check it out when you post it.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Looks interesting.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
It's a frontend for ImageMagick, basically? What's it written in?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
This sounds intriguing. Will have to check it out when it something gets posted.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
looks promising!
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
regz
regz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Okay a made a release. I've only tested on my machine Win7/UAC so I hope it works once its out there. There's a quick and dirty Readme with some more info.

You need Vista or 7 to run it. I can make it work on XP later but I need to build virtual machine or something to test it.

MangaMagick-0402011.zip (346KB)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TLE2DQJS

Quote:
It's a frontend for ImageMagick, basically? What's it written in?
It's written in .NET 4/WPF and calls ImageMagick on the command line. The ZIP are created with SharpZipLib.

I disabled compression on the output ZIPs because I figured the meager savings from compressing images wouldnt be worth the extra work for the device. Good idea or useless idea?
regz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Alas I can't use it at the moment then. While my netbook has Win7 all my comic files are on DVD's and I don't have a DVD built into the netbook. That's on my desktop (which has XP). I'll give it a try when you come out with an XP compatible version though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regz View Post
Okay a made a release. I've only tested on my machine Win7/UAC so I hope it works once its out there. There's a quick and dirty Readme with some more info.

You need Vista or 7 to run it. I can make it work on XP later but I need to build virtual machine or something to test it.

MangaMagick-0402011.zip (346KB)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TLE2DQJS

It's written in .NET 4/WPF and calls ImageMagick on the command line. The ZIP are created with SharpZipLib.

I disabled compression on the output ZIPs because I figured the meager savings from compressing images wouldnt be worth the extra work for the device. Good idea or useless idea?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, kindle, manga, programmer