Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Do you ever get confused ...

... with the ebooks you're reading?

I started to re-read The Hobbit today before the glorious peace was shattered with a major meltdown by my daughter. After the tantrum was over and I went back to my reading, I was more than a little puzzled to find a minor expletive. Hubby was also confused by this strange addition. I muttered that it was meant to be a children's book before reading just a little further to be met by an F-Word in The Hobbit!!!

Anyway at this point all sorts of things were going through my head, including the thought that I'd somehow got a 'bum' copy even though I'd just bought it from WHSmiths.

A few minutes later I realised that I wasn't reading The Hobbit - just before my daughter had her tantrum, I'd switched books and was reading Gordon Ramsey's Playing with Fire!

Hubby and I were in stitches when I confessed how silly I'd been. You may wonder how I could have mixed the two books up but I'd just got to the part in The Hobbit where Bilbo Baggins was entertaining Dwarves and serving them with food which was related to what I was also reading in the Gordon Ramsey book.

Anyone else done this or similar?
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
lol. Hasn't happeded to me yet, but I am still pretty new to ereaders. I am sure that I will mix up something at somepoint.

Would be messed up though if someone went around and "messed" with certain books as you originally thought.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
... with the ebooks you're reading?

I started to re-read The Hobbit today before the glorious peace was shattered with a major meltdown by my daughter. After the tantrum was over and I went back to my reading, I was more than a little puzzled to find a minor expletive. Hubby was also confused by this strange addition. I muttered that it was meant to be a children's book before reading just a little further to be met by an F-Word in The Hobbit!!!

Anyway at this point all sorts of things were going through my head, including the thought that I'd somehow got a 'bum' copy even though I'd just bought it from WHSmiths.

A few minutes later I realised that I wasn't reading The Hobbit - just before my daughter had her tantrum, I'd switched books and was reading Gordon Ramsey's Playing with Fire!

Hubby and I were in stitches when I confessed how silly I'd been. You may wonder how I could have mixed the two books up but I'd just got to the part in The Hobbit where Bilbo Baggins was entertaining Dwarves and serving them with food which was related to what I was also reading in the Gordon Ramsey book.

Anyone else done this or similar?
I've done it a couple of times now. I was re-reading the Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler last year and also The Thin Man by Dashiel Hammett. I'd switched over just before I answered the telephone and then came back thinking I was still reading the Big Sleep. it took me a page before I realised it was a completely different story and completely different style of writing
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I'm never not confused.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I'm never not confused.
Ahh bless your little paws!

Glad I'm not the only one who's easily confused then
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
My parents are a classic case of confused media consumers. It has happened a few times where we'd be watching TV, and me or my brother would change the channel during a commercial break and somehow stick with the program we switched to. 30-40 minutes later my mom would tell me she's totally confused, what happened to *insertcharacteroffirstmovie* and my dad would agree that he doesn't get this film either

Me? No. I don't get confused, because I just read one book at a time.
What did screw me up was my excursion into Harry Potter fanfiction, then "going back in time" to read the real HP books.

Oh, and I forget the titles of books and authors as soon as I flip past the opening page. Good thing Stanza on the iPhone shows me this info any time I tap the screen
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
I'm getting confused whenever I read more than one book at a time (which is almost always ). It's worst when the characters have similar names (e.g. when I read a German book with a character named 'Johann' and an English book that contains a 'John') or the books are the same genre.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I tend to be in the middle of multiple books at a time, but I try not to read books that are too similar, because I do get confused. I also try not to be in the middle of multiple audiobooks with the same narrator, or even listen to two audiobooks in a row that have the same narrator (unless they are in a series). It gets tricky because there are a few NLS narrators who are very prolific.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Well, I confuse myself with the reader. As I read multiple books at any given time I sometimes forget in which one I was. So when I go back I am expecting to read one book and the reader starts in another.

But then again - confused should be my middle name
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm reading two books right now, and nope, not confused at all. I can switch fast.

But, I was confused this weekend, when I was reading the newspaper.

They were talking about the gasfields (Dutch: gasvelden) and that they should be put under government supervision (or something like that), something to do with their future when they became empty.

I read grassfields (Dutch: grasvelden). And for the life of me, I just couldn't understand what the government would want to supervise emptying grassfields...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hasn't seriously happened to me yet... I only read one book at a time. However, a few times I've opened up MobiPocket to read something, forgetting that I had recently added a book, or checked a reference in another book, when I closed it. So I'm expecting to read one thing, get about 2 sentences in, and realize: "This is a different story. Whuthehey?"

More often, when I'm writing, I confuse myself with some of the SF terminology I use... because, depending on the book, and the futuristic time period, I may be using different tech or different tech names to mean roughly the same stuff. "Oh, wait... do I call computers in this book 'computers,' 'Intelligence Systems,' 'secretaries,' 'HAL,' 'pocket brains,' or 'iThink'?"
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote