Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
kindlespark
kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Problem after Kubricking: can't exit DIAG-pcbId and DSN don't match

I was trying to add custom screensavers to my K4 NT, and on discovering that you could no longer access ssh on firmware 4.1.1, via USB/ethernet, I ran the Kubrick wizard, as the sticky implied it would add a hack that enables ssh root access again.

Kubrick worked fine, and after the procedure I tried to add my own screensavers by accessing the Kindle via terminal on Mac and entering diag mode.

I ran commands to create a backup folder for the original Amazon screensavers, and to create a new folder for my own screensavers, basically as detailed here http://brettbuddin.us/log/13508573/c...4-screensavers

After completing the commands I tried to disable diagnostics mode from the Kindle menu, but it would not quit.

It said, when I entered 'disable diagnostics'

"pcbId does not match DSN

pcbID 0031707125023TW5

DSN 9023170225xxxxMB"

DSN was my device serial number unchanged (I have replaced some numbers with x's for anonymity).

I couldn't get any further, so to get out I had to run the entire Kubrick again!

Question: what does this mean? will I never be able to get in or out of diagnostic mode again? Have I created a fatal incompatability on my Kindle that will screw up other processes?

Is there a way of adding screensavers that doesn't involve entering diagnostic mode, or should I just forget it and leave well alone?
kindlespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
off-site hacks

If you need support with an off-site hack - -
The place to get help is from that other site.

- - - -

Did you try just deleting the "ENABLE_DIAGS" flag file and re-booting?

Kubrick does not touch that part of storage which holds the device-specific data.
Are you certain that you could enter and exit diag mode **before** you kubrick'd it?
I.E: It may not be kubrick's fault.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
kindlespark
kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.kindlespark is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Well I wasn't intending to criticize Kubrick, I was seriously asking a question about it.

I was able to get in and out of diagnostics before, to enable usb access, as that was how I discovered that ssh access was not possible on the 4.1. firmware.

This post was really asking about enabling and disabling diag mode after Kubrick, not really about the offsite hack...

edit: I wasn't able to get out of the Diagnostics menu screen so i couldn't see how to get to the ENABLE_DIAG file to delete it...the kindle wasn't on my desktop at that point. I could only exit by running Kubrick again

Last edited by kindlespark; 05-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pick the diagnostic menu entry about exporting the user storage.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
dimasic
Enthusiast
dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4NT
The same problem and the same message was here. Kubrick shouldn't change device-specific data, but after trying to exit diags mode some people got this message. So the problem exists. Probably with the newest black kindles.
dimasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
As I already explained in the Kubrick thread:

This is caused by flashing a diags image from a different device that contains some reference to ids from that different device.
The good news is that with the latest jailbreak, you don't need to "Disable diagnostics" at all. It will be disabled by the jailbreak installer when it's finished.
Now you can enable "USB Device mode", copy the latest jailbreak and reboot Kindle (twice). The jailbreak will be (re)installed, diagnostics disabled and Kindle will reboot to main mode without human interaction.

Alternatively you can connect to Kindle via SSH and issue these commands to disable diagnostics:
Code:
rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
idme -d --bootmode main
sync
reboot
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I recommend installing NiLuJe's screensaver hack rather than tampering with the Diags mode.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimasic View Post
The same problem and the same message was here. Kubrick shouldn't change device-specific data, but after trying to exit diags mode some people got this message. So the problem exists. Probably with the newest black kindles.
Did 4 of them.

Didn't get this message.

?

Sorry, but thought I should add that voice to the pile.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Did 4 of them.
Didn't get this message.
So you flashed the diags partition with the image used by Kubrick, entered diags mode and had no problem exiting it ? Interesting...
Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
kindlespark

Thanks for help, dsmid, I am going to go for the new jailbreak, and the screensaver hack you recommended.

I will look up the Kubrick thread too, but tentatively, can I assume that this incompatibility came from the Kubrick flash?

Is there a way of resetting that will eliminate the psbiD and DSN mismatch?

Does it even matter, or can I safely ignore it? For example could it it prevent future firmware updates?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
dsmid
Linux devotee

Yes, it can be perceived as a problem that came from the Kubrick flash, but Kubrick has no chance to avoid it.
As I wrote, there is some connection between pcbID and serial (I don't know the exact way how to check if these two match or not). A reference to pcbID seems to be stored somewhere in the diags partition, thus flashing a diags image from a different device will always get the diags tools into inconsistent state when pcbID referenced from the diags partition does not match the serial.

The only way how to fix it would be to find the location of pcbId reference in diags and overwrite it with the genuine pcbId of your device.

AFAIK this inconsistency does not have any side effects besides problems with exiting the diags mode that can be worked around by methods I mentioned above.
None of my devices has any problems with registering and firmware updates.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
So you flashed the diags partition with the image used by Kubrick, entered diags mode and had no problem exiting it ? Interesting...
4 times. Looking at the devices here in the box right now...

No issues whatsoever.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
dimasic
Enthusiast
dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4NT
There are devices with s/n beginning with B00E and beginning with 9023. The old devices came with B00E, but the new ones come with B023 and (some of them) with 9023 as the topic starters' device. Maybe because of that he got such a message? It's only my own humble assumption.

Last edited by dimasic; 05-23-2013 at 08:16 AM.
dimasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Yes, it can be perceived as a problem that came from the Kubrick flash, but Kubrick has no chance to avoid it.
As I wrote, there is some connection between pcbID and serial (I don't know the exact way how to check if these two match or not). A reference to pcbID seems to be stored somewhere in the diags partition, thus flashing a diags image from a different device will always get the diags tools into inconsistent state when pcbID referenced from the diags partition does not match the serial.

The only way how to fix it would be to find the location of pcbId reference in diags and overwrite it with the genuine pcbId of your device.

AFAIK this inconsistency does not have any side effects besides problems with exiting the diags mode that can be worked around by methods I mentioned above.
None of my devices has any problems with registering and firmware updates.
The relationship may well be maintained in /var/local (mmcblk0p3) which kubrick does not touch (unless you tell it to).

destroy the filesystem on mmcblk0p3 by writing 15 blocks of 512 bytes of 0 to it - - re-boot.
The boot process will re-build /var/local filesystem to match the device.