Notices

Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 AM   #1
iomari
Zealot
iomari doesn't litteriomari doesn't litter

Device: galaxy tab
[Linux] Sudden error on startup

Greetings,
My current configuration is opensuse 13.2/plasma 5.

I have been using Calibre for many years always keeping the latest version.
Usually I just download the latest tarball, uncompress it and place it in my opt folder then I run postinstall and all is well.

I recently was not happy with the fact that the app did not share the same theme as my current plasma 5 desktop . I noticed that even when I select "system default" in "look and fell" it still does not work. Then I found a opensuse repo with the latest version of calibre 2.48 so I installed it and the theme was a perfect dark theme like the rest of my OS.

Then a few days later I got greedy and wanted to also install from source to a different directory but after spending a whole day trying to get it to work I gave up.

But now when I load the version from the opensuse repo I get:

calibre, version 2.48.0
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 276, in initialize_db_stage2
self.start_gui(db)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 216, in start_gui
main.initialize(self.library_path, db, self.listener, self.actions)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 374, in initialize
CoverFlowMixin.init_cover_flow_mixin(self)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/cover_flow.py", line 275, in init_cover_flow_mixin
self.cover_flow = CoverFlow(parent=self)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/cover_flow.py", line 154, in __init__
config['cover_flow_queue_length']+1)
TypeError: PictureFlow(): argument 1 has unexpected type 'Main'

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times but I still get the same error.
If I run the version from the opt folder that I originally installed, it still works although there's no dark theme.

So what can I do to get back the version from the opensuse repo that was happily working before I started compiling the source?

BTW, I completely uninstalled the source long ago so I don't think that's the problem.

thanks in advance
iomari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe that error is because you need to recompile calibre's binary plugins against the latest version of PyQt.
When that (PyQt) update hit ArchLinux, I had to run `python2 setup.py build --clean && python2 setup.py build`

If this is your distro package, file a bug report -- they should have rebuilt their calibre package after they upgraded PyQt 5.4 ==> 5.5

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-12-2016 at 10:53 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
iomari
Zealot
iomari doesn't litteriomari doesn't litter

Device: galaxy tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I believe that error is because you need to recompile calibre's binary plugins against the latest version of PyQt.
When that (PyQt) update hit ArchLinux, I had to run `python2 setup.py build --clean && python2 setup.py build`

If this is your distro package, file a bug report -- they should have rebuilt their calibre package after they upgraded PyQt 5.4 ==> 5.5
Thanks,
I'll look into that.
iomari is offline   Reply With Quote