Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Alt68er
Alt68er began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook touch lux (623)
  instead of  

Hi all,

I'm new here and therefore ask you to excuse me if I'm making wrong something...

Yesterday I updated Sigil from 0.7.3 to 0.7.4 and then continued "my work" with a series of existing epubs, i.e. editing them to give them an identical look and feel.

During the first editing which also included to replace the existing stylesheet with my own, adding 2 new chapters (cover and introduction) and then splitting the existing complete file into chapters I suddenly saw that Sigil in one chapter had replaced all existing nbsp by #160 automatically and I don't know how to stop that automatism.

I don't want to have #160 in my books instead of nbsp because I already "converted" about 300 which contain nbsp and I want that the remaining 2000 also will have nbsp.

I sincerely hope that someone here knows what I mean and also how I can stop it.

So, please please, tell me !!

1000 thanks in advance and a nice Sunday,
Peter

Last edited by Jellby; 12-29-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Trying to format the title :D
Alt68er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
they're one and the same thing. One is the html entity and the other the codepoint for that character. I have read this was done for a reason although I cannot remember which (CRAFT). But if it wasn't something critical it wouldn't have gotten changed.

Last edited by At_Libitum; 12-29-2013 at 07:05 AM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Beat by Ad Libitum....Curses, foiled again!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try adding a correct DOCTYPE to the document.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The only way you could "stop" this is to go back o 0.7.3 (and make sure all docs that contain nbsp have the proper doctype declaration). There no real differences between 0.7.3 and 0.7.4 otherwise (on Windows).

You can't change the behavior in 0.7.4 (and as others have said, both entities do the same thing). It was changed because it was the easiest way around an issue where non-breaking space unicode characters were being changed (to appease Qt) to nbsp entities in documents where there was no proper DTD to support named entities: hence the numeric entity which achieves the same thing with no need for a DTD.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-29-2013 at 09:33 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The reader of your book will see the same thing regardless of which is used.

The only case where I can conceive of this causing a problem is in an academic setting where you are told to use nbsp.

2000 non breaking spaces seems like a lot. Make sure they are used only where they are actually needed to make sure the space is

1. Never deleted by the reading program or device.
2. Two words must be jointed together.

If you are using them to generate vertical space, it is more easily and predictably done in CSS using margin-top or something similar.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Alt68er
Alt68er began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook touch lux (623)
Thanks a lot for your replies!

So, ok I'll accept the #160 in the remaining 2000 books (NOT nbsp's!).-

But - as I'm not an expert - tell me, please, what is the correct DOCTYPE for which kind of document?

Again thank you all!

Peter
Alt68er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt68er View Post
But - as I'm not an expert - tell me, please, what is the correct DOCTYPE for which kind of document?
I'd like to know that, too!

One of the things I liked about Sigil was that it seemed to add a suitable doctype declaration at the top of the html without my having to specify one.

To wit: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

Is this not a good idea?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The DOCTYPE Sigil adds is the correct one.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
But you have to ALLOW Sigil to add the proper doctype if it's missing. That won't happen if you turn off all the clean-source settings.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think this is a fine idea but you can't necessarily depend on all eBook readers to properly understand all of the entity names although numbers will generally work ok. The five XML names will likely work everywhere. Of course it is also possible to define your own.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dale, I never heard of a reader that ignored the DOCTYPE reference causing the named entities not to work.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Dale, I never heard of a reader that ignored the DOCTYPE reference causing the named entities not to work.
You misunderstood what I said. I did not say the above. I said that in spite of defining a DOCTYPE some readers may not understand all of the named entities. This also applies to some older browsers. There is no reference to DOCTYPE causing this behavior.

Dale
Old 01-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

But if the DOCTYPE is not ignored, the browser/reader must be able to understand the entities, since they are part of the DOCTYPE. It might be that the corresponding character is not in the readers font, but that is another issue of course.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
But if the DOCTYPE is not ignored, the browser/reader must be able to understand the entities, since they are part of the DOCTYPE. It might be that the corresponding character is not in the readers font, but that is another issue of course.
Even if it was ignored it would not be the DOCTYPE that caused the problem. DOCTYPE needn't actually reference the actual DTD by a URL reference. DOCTYPE can reference other file types that HTML and some may recognize some but not all. I did not mean to introduce confusion here. Numbers will always work so long as the font is there in the right place.

Tags
#160, nbsp