Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 01:01 AM   #1186
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have found that it also helps to switch lunch and dinner if possible, in order to eat less in the evening when it’s normal to sit and read, watch TV or whatever. But for people who are at work, that probably can’t be done.
And have your evening meal at least 2 hours before going to bed, food gets turned into blubber faster when you're asleep.

Harry - I've heard this from two physiologists independently, one at cardiac rehab, the other at the gym I joined.

If you're burning off the excess weight with increased exercise (even just walking further, faster, up/down steeper hills) then, so that your body can better handle the increased exercise, some of the blubber will be transformed into muscle which is denser. So, as well as monitoring your weight also monitor you girth. In one 2 week period I was disappointed to see I lost less than 2kg, but I lost 4cm around my middle.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #1187
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely everyone's steps are a different length, aren't they? I haven't a clue how many steps I do in a day, but when the weather allows it I walk a circuit through the fields around the village where I live, which is about three and a quarter miles. How long a distance is 10,000 steps for you?

I have no idea, really, but according to my Fitbit, 4,045 steps (I'm still getting over the flu) is 2.22 miles. Maybe one day I'll take it to the nearby track.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #1188
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have no idea, really, but according to my Fitbit, 4,045 steps (I'm still getting over the flu) is 2.22 miles. Maybe one day I'll take it to the nearby track.
I suppose trackers with GPS can get a more-or-less reasonable take on distance. I've got the Fitbit Zip, which is really only good for counting steps (which is all I require of it); I turned off the mileage readout, which is silly and pointless. Steps around the house, say, are a lot shorter than my long strides when I go out for a walk in my neighborhood and those are shorter than when I go for a hike in the woods where the footing is more treacherous. I'd be interested to hear if your mileage varies with the type of walking you're doing. It's obvious mine is just a rough approximation of stride length relative to my height.

ETA: On other fronts, I'm finally back down to my pre-Christmas weight; that took much longer than it should, as it was only about three pounds. I'd like to lose about six more; I've got my sights set on Memorial Day.

Last edited by issybird; 02-14-2018 at 07:18 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #1189
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I suppose trackers with GPS can get a more-or-less reasonable take on distance. I've got the Fitbit Zip, which is really only good for counting steps (which is all I require of it); I turned off the mileage readout, which is silly and pointless....

My wife and I have Fitbit Charge 2s. I don't ever pay attention to the miles, but my wife seems to have some sort of harmless obsession with knowing how far she's walked. For my part, I've found that whether I swing my arms, keep them in my jacket pocket, clasp them behind my back, walk in the mall, walk in my own home, or walk on a treadmill at Planet Fitness, the step counter is pretty accurate. I've counted silently while I walk under differing conditions, and the results are very consistent.

Quote:
...ETA: On other fronts, I'm finally back down to my pre-Christmas weight; that took much longer than it should, as it was only about three pounds. I'd like to lose about six more; I've got my sights set on Memorial Day.
Congrats!

I'm now officially within 25 pounds of my goal, but I have a feeling a plastic surgeon at this point would be a far healthier option for shedding the remaining pounds. Sigh. If only I could afford it.

Finally, here's a tip for all those who are facing a plateau: This year's flu is excellent stuff for getting you past it!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #1190
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Bravo both issybird and Tom. Good luck to you both for achieving your respective targets.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #1191
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Finally, here's a tip for all those who are facing a plateau: This year's flu is excellent stuff for getting you past it!
Inquiring minds want to know. How much did you lose while you had the flu?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #1192
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
1.6 lbs the week of the most severe symptoms. I'll let you know Saturday how much I lost during the recovery week (Saturday is my weigh-in day). I wasn't eating much that first week, but I wasn't exercising, either.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #1193
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I think I actually put on a few pounds whilst battling the flu - I completely stopped moving (absolutely no energy) and lived on fluids.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #1194
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Had my annual checkup today, although I ran a little late this year. For several years my blood pressure has been "on the high side of normal, but normal." And that would have been the case today, too, but no-ooo! Those meddling doctors got together over the summer and changed the guidelines on me! Now, I'm on the "low side of high, but high."

Anyway, diet and exercise for right now. Then we'll see in six months.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #1195
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good news this week! Week 4 of my diet completed, and my weekly weigh-in shows a loss of 5lb! So that’s a total of 13lb lost in 4 weeks. I think my disappointing loss of only a quarter of a pound last week must have been caused by something - fluid retention? who knows? - masking a much larger underlying loss, because there’s no way I could have really lost 5lb in a week.

So, I’ve lost a stone in a month, which I’m very happy indeed about. Yesterday, though, which was one of my two fasting days this week, for the first time I suffered pretty bad hunger pangs - I think the cumulative effects of starving myself for a month are maybe starting to catch up with me. I think I’ll try increasing my food intake somewhat on my non-fasting days, because at the moment I’m eating way less than I need to maintain body weight every day; I think the most I’ve eaten on any day this week has been about 1200 calories. Averaging over 3lb a week weight loss probably is too much.

This next week and a half is going to be challenging, because I’m going away on holiday. I’m going to try to continue to eat sensibly, but I’m not going to have any official fasting days, and I may even have one or two beers . A case of trying to minimise the weight gain rather than continue the weight loss, I suspect. Back to the grindstone when I get home again.

Anyway, a good week!

Last edited by HarryT; 02-17-2018 at 03:32 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #1196
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Congratulations HarryT!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #1197
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Quote:
1.6 lbs the week of the most severe symptoms. I'll let you know Saturday how much I lost during the recovery week (Saturday is my weigh-in day). I wasn't eating much that first week, but I wasn't exercising, either.
When I hit the scales this morning I discovered I'd lost another 4.6 pounds in the past week. That surprised me, considering how much I'd eaten over the past few days. Then again, the flu still isn't completely finished with me, and such symptoms as I've experienced over the past few days aren't exactly conducive to weight gain.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #1198
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Bravo Tom. You must be pleased!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #1199
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
When I hit the scales this morning I discovered I'd lost another 4.6 pounds in the past week.
Wow! Good for you. That must put you within 20 pounds of your goal. You've only got one more new wardrobe to buy!
Old 03-03-2018, 03:20 AM   #1200
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Went away on holiday for a week and gained 6lb, but I've managed to lose it all again in the 5 days since I returned home, which is good! So I was pleased to see that in this morning's weigh-in I was exactly the same weight as I was before I went away. So still a total of 13lb lost since I started my diet at the end of January. Onwards and downwards!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote