Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It seems like you are completely shutting down your Windows machine while you are putting your iPad to sleep. That doesn't seem like a fair comparison.

I bought a very inexpensive Windows tablet as an experiment. It works as well as any other tablet I've used.

I wish the Windows apps were nicer. None of the comic reader apps are as nice as their Android counterparts. But Windows 10 works fine for me as a touch oriented OS.
That is one cheap tablet!
Is the screen really that good? QXGA?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #47
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This, because siting in my desk chair while reading a screen is not as relaxing as reading on a sofa or recliner.
Apache
Me too. I wonder if all these people reading on PCs have found some great chair and desk combo that we need to know about!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #48
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Me too. I wonder if all these people reading on PCs have found some great chair and desk combo that we need to know about!
I read on my pc at work, over lunch. So not at all a comfortable reading spot! I started doing this back when Kobo had a web reader; by the time they discontinued it, I realized I preferred facing my big monitor rather than hunching over my reader. I have settled with downloading my Kobo books and uploading them into Google Play.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is one cheap tablet!
Is the screen really that good? QXGA?
The screen is really good. But there are some caveats.

High end tablets adhere the screen to the glass overlay, causing the display to appear to be right on the surface of the screen. I forget the name of the process. Anyway, the NuVision doesn't do that. The difference is miniscule and the screen still looks great. But it lacks a little of the pop! you would get from the same screen in an iPad, Surface or Samsung tablet. (I believe the screen is literally the same screen used in iPads. I believe that is mentioned in the thread I link to below.)

The battery should be bigger. The tablet will last you all day, but I noticed my Lenovo lasts a lot longer.

The capacitive Windows 'button' has a blue LED behind it that just looks cheap.

The biggest one is that the tablet comes with Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10, but when you do, the tablet is missing a file called TouchSetting.gt. Without it, after upgrading the Z and X axis on the touchscreen are reversed, making the tablet nearly unusable. Once you add the file back, everything is fine. You can find the file on the TabletPCReview website. I'd recommend reading through the thread to see things good and bad about the tablet.

I'd recommend reading through the thread I linked to. One user there has a fix for the upgrade problem I was talking about. Some folks complained about yellow blobs appearing on the screen, but I haven't had any issue like that.

I paid $90 for the tablet and I have no regrets. It's not a Surface. You probably aren't going to be running Photoshop or high end games on it. But it is a very nice tablet for the price.

Now that I have both screen sizes, I have learned that comics look better on a 10.1" screen than a 9.7"

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The screen is really good. But there are some caveats.

High end tablets adhere the screen to the glass overlay, causing the display to appear to be right on the surface of the screen. I forget the name of the process. Anyway, the NuVision doesn't do that. The difference is miniscule and the screen still looks great. But it lacks a little of the pop! you would get from the same screen in an iPad, Surface or Samsung tablet. (I believe the screen is literally the same screen used in iPads. I believe that is mentioned in the thread I link to below.)

The battery should be bigger. The tablet will last you all day, but I noticed my Lenovo lasts a lot longer.

The capacitive Windows 'button' has a blue LED behind it that just looks cheap.

The biggest one is that the tablet comes with Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10, but when you do, the tablet is missing a file called TouchSetting.gt. Without it, after upgrading the Z and X axis on the touchscreen are reversed, making the tablet nearly unusable. Once you add the file back, everything is fine. You can find the file on the TabletPCReview website. I'd recommend reading through the thread to see things good and bad about the tablet.

I'd recommend reading through the thread I linked to. One user there has a fix for the upgrade problem I was talking about. Some folks complained about yellow blobs appearing on the screen, but I haven't had any issue like that.

I paid $90 for the tablet and I have no regrets. It's not a Surface. You probably aren't going to be running Photoshop or high end games on it. But it is a very nice tablet for the price.

Now that I have both screen sizes, I have learned that comics look better on a 10.1" screen than a 9.7"
It sounds like a very nice reading tablet, where you don't need great cpu or gpu power or color fidelity but pixel count, well, counts.

Should fit the needs of academic pdf readers.

Thanks for the links. I'll be looking into those articles.
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It sounds like a very nice reading tablet, where you don't need great cpu or gpu power or color fidelity but pixel count, well, counts.

Should fit the needs of academic pdf readers.

Thanks for the links. I'll be looking into those articles.
Colors aren't off at all. The screen really is nice. I don't mean to mislead you there. The single biggest issue was the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 messing up the touchscreen. The tablet comes with a case and keyboard, so it is fixable.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Colors aren't off at all. The screen really is nice. I don't mean to mislead you there. The single biggest issue was the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 messing up the touchscreen. The tablet comes with a case and keyboard, so it is fixable.
No need to worry.
I wasn't thinking of the yellow cast thing but rather the color fidelity reputation of those screens. And that is more of an issue for the "golden eyeball" crowd, anyway. Normal humans rarely have an issue with them.

And the upgrade thing doesn't worry me.
The only thing that would scare me off a tablet would be video driver issues.
(i've dealt with trackpad and mouse issues often enough.)
As long as I have a screen and a working USB port I can work with tbe toy.

It's tempting...
First I need to think of a use for it, since my Asus isn't dying just yet.
Drat.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It's tempting...
First I need to think of a use for it, since my Asus isn't dying just yet.
Drat.
I'm in the same boat when it comes to buying the 12.2" Samsung tablet. I want it. But the Lenovo and the NuVision both still work. Do I really need another device?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #54
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I'm in the same boat when it comes to buying the 12.2" Samsung tablet. I want it. But the Lenovo and the NuVision both still work. Do I really need another device?
I'm beginning to think that the larger screen smartphones are good enough for me. Reading on my Motorola Z2 Play is pretty comfortable even for my 68 year old eyes. My Paperwhite and my Lenovo tablet are better, but when my Lenovo finally DOES die, I wonder if I really need it? (I don't read comic books or PDFs)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm beginning to think that the larger screen smartphones are good enough for me. Reading on my Motorola Z2 Play is pretty comfortable even for my 68 year old eyes. My Paperwhite and my Lenovo tablet are better, but when my Lenovo finally DOES die, I wonder if I really need it? (I don't read comic books or PDFs)
That's funny. I have a large phone (a Nexus 6) and when it gives up the ghost, I'm planning on moving to a smaller one. For my uses, the phone is just to large and awkward. I never read or watch videos on it. I have a tablet for that.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I restrain myself thinking that in six months there may be a cooler option to drool over. So many toys, so few excuses...
In the meantime the old ones keep chugging along.
My Sony T1 just gave up the ghost last month and the PB360 screen is fading something fierce. Battery life still good. Go figure. Oem battery outlasting the screen. So much for replaceable batteries.

Next time the Paperwhite goes on sale I'll be sweating bullets...

Quote:
That's funny. I have a large phone (a Nexus 6) and when it gives up the ghost, I'm planning on moving to a smaller one. For my uses, the phone is just to large and awkward. I never read or watch videos on it. I have a tablet for that.
I've been living off a Samsung Galaxy mini for years now. 90% of the use is pure phone. It works fine in a pinch for online but in general, when I'm out of WiFi range the phone hotspot feeding the tablets suits me best.

I'll be sticking with small phones and big(ish) tablets indefinitely.

Where things will get interesting is in a couple years when 5G wireless takes off. We're already seeing affordable tablet PCs with 4G SIM card slots and the talk is the first devices with 5G will be PCs.

All the talk of the death of the PC has been greatly exaggerated. PCs just keep on evolving.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #57
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
(I use Chrome for my internet browsing and Firefox for only my online ebook readers, mostly because I don't like my book window to be as wide as my internet window, and keeping them separated means I don't have to constantly adjust it. I don't know if using Chrome would eliminate the end of chapter issues that I have.)
Not that I like Chrome, but you could also use two different windows?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never had much luck with hibernate/sleep on PCs. It always seems flaky to me.
Both work for me (W7). A bit of a fuss, if you change networks in between.

The issue I have with Hibernate: it takes LONGER to do the shutdown phase than a 'Shutdown". This may be, because the entire 8G RAM and register states need to be written to HD.

For lurkers: Hibernate is a zero power state, while sleep is a standby, keep alive, low power state (until batteries are depleted )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #59
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Not that I like Chrome, but you could also use two different windows?
Yes, but if I use two different browsers, I don't have to resize the windows every time. (My book window is only one column wide, much narrower than what I use for normal web use.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH07 View Post
hi does anyone read on their pc if so what app/program do you use . I have windows 10 and
would like to find something i can add my own books to so i can read on my pc
but cant find anything
I read on my Windows 10 laptop. I use Calibre's viewer it can be customized to be opened without the main program. I use a template to turn it into a open book and an edited font I used on my Kindle. It works great.

Sent from my XT1528
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27337003_1690986030959764_4828158909380337048_n.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	162229  

Last edited by Blossom; 02-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote