Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #46
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Okay I finally found time to look at this and I can recreate it but only under specific circumstances:

1. Open any epub with extra styles in an style sheet and more than one xhtml file
2. make sure Preview is showing
3. open one of the xhtml files in the book so that it shows in CodeView *and* Preview
4. navigate to the stylesheet in book browser and double click it to open the css file in the front tab
5. Use right click in the book browser to delete the xhtml file you opened first (and still showing in Preview!)
6. With the CSS tab still open in front, invoke the Tools -> DeleteUnusedStylesheetClass and tell it to delete them when asked for confirmation
7. I crash here sometimes but other times I must try a Save.

From the backtrace, the bug is nothing to do with CSS updating, and instead seems to be due to the xhtml file that was deleted in step 5 above still trying to be loaded and shown by Preview. Somehow after deleting an xhtml fie, we have to make sure it is not current showing in Preview and if so , wipe it out.

This will always happen when Preview is not open or when you move to another xhtml as front tab (it will replace Preview's contents with a valid xhtml file). The problem happens because a CSS file is showing in front and it has no Preview!

If someone else can confirm this failure mode with a recent Sigil version on other platforms, that would be grand.

I will look at loading an empty placeholder into Preview when any non-xhtml file is in the front tab.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
slightly off topic but I can crash sigil almost at will with by running remove unused styles ( while the style sheet is being displayed and after editing some values or removing some front matter pages, thus making some styles redundant followed by save
it's usually the save operation that triggers sigil has encountered a problem and needs to close
I have learnt the hard way not to save which the stylesheet is the active displayed page
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #47
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Afaik, I never use preview mode, which is an recent enhancement ?
I use both book and code views
I think that most of my crashes when I save, while the stylesheet is visible in the main pane
Some others, maybe, are from running delete unused styles, while the stylesheet is in view.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #48
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
If someone else can confirm this failure mode with a recent Sigil version on other platforms, that would be grand.
I was able reproduce this failure with the 64bit Linux and Windows Sigil 0.9.8 versions.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
one other issue if i may - only in the more recent versions , if I delete a single stylesheet line - say an unwanted line height or font family, the displayed page then jumps a little, or the page stays still & the cursor jumps? Either way it no longer points at the now blank line. Does that make sense
I believe that specific issue (jumping/recentering/losing highlighting when editing CSS) was addressed in Sigil v0.9.7 if I recall correctly.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Afaik, I never use preview mode, which is an recent enhancement ?
I use both book and code views
I think that most of my crashes when I save, while the stylesheet is visible in the main pane
Some others, maybe, are from running delete unused styles, while the stylesheet is in view.
Preview's not really new at all. It's been around for quite awhile. The widget's just not visible by default. It's basically Book View with no editing ability. It allows you to see the effect of code changes on the rendered product in real time. If you don't do any editing in Book View, using Preview saves you from having to switch back and forth between Code View and the rendered content.

We've had other issues where non-xhtml tabs being open caused errors/crashes when certain features were used. Wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't something similar. The most recent one I can think of was when merging/splitting html files would cause crashes when non-html tabs (opf, ncx) were open. That one was just addressed in v0.9.8.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-08-2017 at 12:31 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #51
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Doitsu - Thanks for the confirmation. I have now pushed a fix for this to Sigil's master.

@stumped

I have many epubs that have extra styles in them and while the stylesheet was in the front tab (showing) I was able to use Tools->DeleteUnusedStyles just fine and never saw a crash or any type of problem when Preview was not open.

I would be happy to keep digging but I will need a sample epub with step by step instructions on how to recreate the crash. With current Sigil versions, I simply can not cause it to crash in the manner you described without Preview open to a deleted resource.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-08-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FYI - updated that fix to put back an overzealous removal of a needed line
So if you are building your own from Master, please repull.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #53
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:

I will look at loading an empty placeholder into Preview when any non-xhtml file is in the front tab.

Kevin
I hope that doesn't mean that the preview pane will go blank when I'm looking at a CSS sheet?!?!?

I regularly edit the CSS sheet with the previous HTML file still showing in the preview so that I can see my CSS changes in real-time. This makes it so much easier to see minor changes in the CSS and to confirm that my new styling looks how I want.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I hope that doesn't mean that the preview pane will go blank when I'm looking at a CSS sheet?!?!?

I regularly edit the CSS sheet with the previous HTML file still showing in the preview so that I can see my CSS changes in real-time. This makes it so much easier to see minor changes in the CSS and to confirm that my new styling looks how I want.
"This Preview Deliberately Left Blank."

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
"This Preview Deliberately Left Blank."

Hitch
Or showing the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #56
KevinH
Sigil Developer

No,
It will still show the last html page it showed.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #57
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
No,
It will still show the last html page it showed.
You're no fun, Kev.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #58
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Doitsu - Thanks for the confirmation. I have now pushed a fix for this to Sigil's master.

@stumped

I have many epubs that have extra styles in them and while the stylesheet was in the front tab (showing) I was able to use Tools->DeleteUnusedStyles just fine and never saw a crash or any type of problem when Preview was not open.
i think it has to be delete unused style and then SAVE - its the save that causes the " sigil has sopped working"

I think the best way forward is for me to update to 0.9.8 then see if I get any more crashes - I will try to provoke it by doing the things I suspect cause it.

If I can get something re-producible how do I go about submitting evidence ( given the copyright issues with uploading any specific epub )

if nothing else, by cursor jumping issue wshoudl get fixed by upgrading
Old 06-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #59
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
No, all previously installed plugins will continue to work.
Okay. Cool. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #60
stumped
Wizard

well I managed to crash 0.9.8, by saving with stylesheet in main pane, after some tweaking.
this was while working on an epub conversion of a retail azw
I removed some intro pages, some nested divs, tweaked a couple of styles...
a couple of previous tweaks and saves for the same book had been ok
I think ( but not totally sure) that the previous command had been another check & delete any un used styles

it crashed on the save command
screen shot attached

PS after snipping and posting that, I reopened, reopened stylesheet, re-saved, could not get a 2nd crash ( but i did not actually edit anything that time, so that's an essential pre-requisite ? )

i will attach try to sigil.ini from app data as that has the most recent find replace activity

done - i had to zip it. could not upload an ini file directly

PS before anyone asks, I have no plug-ins installed in Sigil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	129
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	157224  
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil.zip (5.7 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by stumped; 06-09-2017 at 04:56 AM.