Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Jerry Pournelle has passed away

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/0...-has-died.html

Another science fiction great.
And my favourite writer at Byte Magazine back in the day.

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

I loved his Chaos Manor articles.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2017, 12:30 AM   #3
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
RIP Jerry Pournelle
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:46 AM   #4
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

Damn. Now he's never going to finish that series. wonder if anyone else will get permission to....

Although I remember some past discussion of Pournelle and Niven, that Niven was independantly wealthy and *driven* to write, but Pournelle would probably pay someone else to write if he could get away with it.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
RIP Jerry. One of the best. I have read most of his work. I particularly enjoyed Legacy of Heorot.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
#@$!
Too soon.
He will be missed in many ways, many arenas.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Damn. Now he's never going to finish that series. wonder if anyone else will get permission to....

Which series?
He had several ongoing.
He had collaborations with Niven and Barnes so they might continue some, if necessary.
And his daughter wrote a third Motie novel so she might finish any unfinished work...
Old 09-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Which series?
And his daughter wrote a third Motie novel so she might finish any unfinished work...
I haven't read it, but the first two Motie books were excellent. I wonder what role her father played in the writing of the book? Is it worth reading?
Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
#@$!
Too soon.
Really? He was 84 - hardly 'too soon' by any standard.

(Not having a dig at fjtorres but this knee-jerk reaction when any famous person dies - yes dies, not passes or is taken from us - is getting ridiculous.)
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post

(Not having a dig at fjtorres but this knee-jerk reaction when any famous person dies - yes dies, not passes or is taken from us - is getting ridiculous.)
It is, as they say, a good innings, and many are not that fortunate. It is, however, still too soon, if for no other reason that I and others took such great pleasure from his writings. From this point of view he could die at 100 and it would still be too soon.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
He was one of my favorite authors. RIP
I will have to reread some of my top favorites.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post

Well, I can assure you that if I die at 84, it will be too soon.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
While we disagreed on the Epson QX10, I liked most of what he wrote. It seems like too many of those I noted in earlier years are dying off and most of those "before my time" are already gone.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-09-2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: late onset dementia
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, I can assure you that if I die at 84, it will be too soon.
Ditto.
Obviously different standards at play.
I come from a short line of cradle robbers that routinely hits the 90's.
As Heinlein used to say, it pays to choose the right grandparents.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I haven't read it, but the first two Motie books were excellent. I wonder what role her father played in the writing of the book? Is it worth reading?
It is called OUTIES.
It is all hers but with Niiven & Pournelle sanction so it is canon.

https://www.amazon.com/Outies-Mote-B...eywords=Outies

Separate story in the same universe. She did not try to imitate her father or the Niven+Pournelle style.

Some like it, some hate it.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-09-2017 at 01:29 PM.