Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #1
Ricsie
Ricsie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Create Kindle dictionary from html files(or chm)

Hello,

I have a dictionary in chm and also decompressed chm, html files.

Is there any tutorial how to creat ekindle dictionary from this? I saw few posts that its easy from html but all guides are for Tab-separeted txt files

these are the dictionary files:
chm
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!B1dCWLRT!fdz-N95Ci4uoCRvn7cwd_BurlrAKbuLJQotthZc-CIg
html in zip
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!g8NjlaLJ!ksV-O3UiINCwZth4PNDVdAKAUygMJDb5lB50wkPf8aA
Ricsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As far as I know, the only thing that creates Kindle dictionaries is Mobipocket Creator, using the markup specified here.

But I might be out of date.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As far as I know, the only thing that creates Kindle dictionaries is Mobipocket Creator[...]
Kindle dictionaries can also be generated with Kindlegen. However, since Amazon apparently hasn't updated the mobi7 dictionary code in a while, I'd also recommend using Mobipocket Creator instead, because it'll automatically generate an .opf file with the non-standard entries required for Kindle dictionaries.

@Ricsie:
A minimal dictionary source file with two entries (and inflections) looks like this:

Code:
<html>
<body>

<idx:entry>
	<b><idx:orth>book
	<idx:infl>
		<idx:iform value="books"/>
	</idx:infl>
	</idx:orth> </b> 
	<i>noun</i> <br/>
	A written or printed work
</idx:entry>
<br/>
<hr/>

<idx:entry>
	<b><idx:orth>go
	<idx:infl>
		<idx:iform value="goes"/>
		<idx:iform value="going"/>
		<idx:iform value="went"/>
		<idx:iform value="gone"/>
	</idx:infl>
	</idx:orth> </b> 
	<i>verb</i> <br/>
	To move from one place to another
</idx:entry>

</body>
</html>
I.e., your workflow would be as follows:

1. Open each .html file with a text editor and wrap each dictionary entry in <idx:entry>...</idx:entry> tags and each headword in <idx:orth>...</idx:orth> tags using regular expressions.
2. Create a new dictionary project with Mobipocket Creator and add all .html files.
3. Add the dictionary metadata and compile the dictionary.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Ricsie
Ricsie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you very much to both of you. Now Its all clear to me what and how to do it :-)

Thank you!!

Doitsu, great answer!! It solved every question I've had
Ricsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, guide, html, kindle