Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2024, 11:50 AM   #151
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
On Reddit an early recipient of the Clara BW has reported that nickelclock and nickelmenu cause bootloops.

See https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...irst_thoughts/

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:18 PM   #152
G-M
G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara BW, Kobo Clara 2e, Kindle Paperwhite SE, Kindle Oasis
I'm that reddit user who got the device early.

The boot loop was caused by own doing (I probably .tgz-ed the wrong folder or files), but I can confirm that neither nickelclock nor nickelmenu work at the moment.

They don't cause boot loops, as long as you're not a buffoon like I was, but they don't do anything other than push the device to update/restart back to the same status as before. They're not creating a .adds folder on new Kobos, unfortunately.
G-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:54 PM   #153
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
So weird, but thanks!! Def means it's on my side. Guessing something weird when MacOS opens the zip.

I used terminal to turn it back into an actual tgz. must have done something wrong there.

Thanks so much!!
Is using the terminal to turn it back into an actual tgz. an easy thing to do because using Chrome to download the zip file apparently deletes that.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:41 PM   #154
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-M View Post
I'm that reddit user who got the device early.

The boot loop was caused by own doing (I probably .tgz-ed the wrong folder or files), but I can confirm that neither nickelclock nor nickelmenu work at the moment.

They don't cause boot loops, as long as you're not a buffoon like I was, but they don't do anything other than push the device to update/restart back to the same status as before. They're not creating a .adds folder on new Kobos, unfortunately.
Hi, are you running Windows, Mac or Linux on your computer? Mac or Linux might not show the .adds folder.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:26 PM   #155
G-M
G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.G-M has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Hi, are you running Windows, Mac or Linux on your computer? Mac or Linux might not show the .adds folder.
I'm running macOS, but I have "Show hidden files" enabled and can confirm that in the same Finder window that shows my Clara 2e's .adds folder, there's no .adds folder in my Clara BW (if that's what you meant). I assumed that was a folder created by nickelclock.

There's also no .add folder, for what it's worth.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:34 PM   #156
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm running macOS, but I have "Show hidden files" enabled and can confirm that in the same Finder window that shows my Clara 2e's .adds folder, there's no .adds folder in my Clara BW (if that's what you meant). I assumed that was a folder created by nickelclock.

There's also no .add folder, for what it's worth.
Thank you for the clarification. It definitely seems like Kobo have changed something regarding the KoboRoot.tgz installation. We will need to investigate further.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:45 PM   #157
sherman
Guru

Actually, sorry to sound like a broken record, but Safari being Safari, you are sure that you downloaded and copied the original KoboRoot.tgz to the Kobo? I know you've done this before, but Safari does like to be "helpful" and extract archives automatically...
Old 04-23-2024, 07:56 PM   #158
G-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Actually, sorry to sound like a broken record, but Safari being Safari, you are sure that you downloaded and copied the original KoboRoot.tgz to the Kobo? I know you've done this before, but Safari does like to be "helpful" and extract archives automatically...
You're... going to want to kill me.

I'm SO sorry. It worked like a charm once I remembered I was using a Mac and not a PC. I sincerely apologize for making you think nickelclock wasn't working.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:01 PM   #159
sherman
Guru

Quote:
You're... going to want to kill me.

I'm SO sorry. It worked like a charm once I remembered I was using a Mac and not a PC. I sincerely apologize for making you think nickelclock wasn't working.
Thanks for the update. Glad to know it still works!
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Then NickelMenu should also work. That is great news.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote